Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 27, 2012, 11:58:18 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 27, 2012, 09:27:53 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 02:29:57 AM

With his mighty total of zero points? Sheehan was anonymous for large stretches and Lacey, a defender, was a more potent attacking threat than he was.

One of the least informed posts I've seen on here.
Sheehan scored 0-3 from, was unlucky with some narrow wides and hit a beautiful inch-perfect 50 yard pass to set up the goal.

Had a quick look at RTE's stay sheet and he wasn't listed in the scorers at all. Regardless it's ridiculous to say he skinned Lacey, particularly for most of the second half Sheehan was anonymous and that was the key period in the game.

Wow. You didn't see the game, did you?

Clearly didn't. Sheehan,O'Neill was Corks best forwards yesterday Goulding,O'Connor poor or well marked.

eviemonkey

The elongated journey home via planes, trains and automobiles is never easy after you have lost a Championship match but it can be slightly more tolerable when you accept you have been beaten by a better team, and yesterday we were. So congrats first and foremost to Donegal who were outstanding on the day. They won all the battles that had to be won on the pitch and tactically were always a step or two ahead of Cork. Theyhave one huge hurdle to overcome yet but on yesterday's evidence it will take a serious effort to stop them now.

Even before a ball was kicked Cork were on the back foot, re-arranging three lines on the team to adjust to the opposition which was lunacy given the team would only have had two weeks together to prepare for any change in formation. Lining up with five defenders is fine when you have the ball but if you lose possession round the middle those defenders will be swamped by the waves of Donegal players on the counter-attack. The more Cork lost their defensive shape by pushing forward trying to create over-laps to reduce the deficit the more it played into Donegal's hands. We may have lost in any event but Cork's best chance of a win was to stick to what we had been doing all year.

Yesterday game will most likely mark the end of the Counihan era and the feeling in Cork was this year's success or otherwise would define his legacy. The verdict will not be hugely favourable now. A new man will most likely come in but not sure what kind of approach Cork will take in the future. The game has changed considerably since 2009-2010 and Cork will tactically need to adapt accordingly.

CorkMan

Better team definitly won. They cleaned us out all over the pitch. Donegal supported was absoloutley unreal. The ground shook when the final whistle went. I hope ye win it now.

johnpower

Both teams are to be complemented on a great game. Donegal are now one step closer and will be heavily tipped to win sam. I hope that Donegal can go on and win it but would not rule out Dublin or Mayo. Jim McGuinness and co will now have a great month grtting ready.

johnpower

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2012, 12:23:39 AM
72:08 the free was awarded.
73:10 the free was hit.
Ref blew her up 73:23

That's accepted cynicism.

Ah the time keeping refs pay no attention to it an thereby condone the behavour. I only watched the game on tv as I have posted thought it was a fine match.

ONeill

Quote from: manballandall on August 27, 2012, 10:17:46 AM
Does anyone have an insight to the training Donegal have been doing as their level of fitness is seriously unreal?

It seems to be shrouded in secrecy. Brolly wrote a good article about it last week. Worth reading if someone can post her up.

I think it was Bogue's book that mentioned the overpowering stench of vomit at training sessions.

Cassidy exposed a tiny bit about it and got the chop supposedly. Starting to doubt if both were linked. Anyone thinking that McGuinness didn't see Cassidy as part of the scheme anyway?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

macdanger2

I thought Sheehan was Cork's best forward but he still put 3/4 wides which would have made the game much tighter if they'd went over - O'Connor in particular was anonymous.

Very strange to see Cork beaten at MF, you'd have expected them to break even anyway.

Donegal missed some soft points and you'd wonder if Cork had gotten on top, how Donegal would have reacted - that's one thing we've yet to see from them, whether they can come back from being a few points down.

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2012, 10:52:10 PM
Does anyone have an insight to the training Donegal have been doing as their level of fitness is seriously unreal?

It seems to be shrouded in secrecy. Brolly wrote a good article about it last week. Worth reading if someone can post her up.

I think it was Bogue's book that mentioned the overpowering stench of vomit at training sessions.

Cassidy exposed a tiny bit about it and got the chop supposedly. Starting to doubt if both were linked. Anyone thinking that McGuinness didn't see Cassidy as part of the scheme anyway?

Cassidy would still be a great asset as a player. But he broke the pirate' s code.

A GAA book is a book too many most of the time but ridiculous for a player that still had stuff to do to spill the beans because some guy was writing a book and doing interviews. Utter shite call by Cassidy. I ve not read Cass's stuff  ( couldn t be arsed) - all you need to know about Donegal is watch them play, preferably as often as possible. Savage player Cassidy but McGuinness was dead right cutting him off. McGuiness was punishing stupidity and ego - traits that are not detectable in the present Donegal side. They re also the most disciplined/honest  team I ve ever seen at this.... well ever.

ONeill

If you haven't read what Cassidy said, how do you know he deserved to be jettisoned?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 27, 2012, 11:58:18 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 27, 2012, 09:27:53 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2012, 02:29:57 AM

With his mighty total of zero points? Sheehan was anonymous for large stretches and Lacey, a defender, was a more potent attacking threat than he was.

One of the least informed posts I've seen on here.
Sheehan scored 0-3 from, was unlucky with some narrow wides and hit a beautiful inch-perfect 50 yard pass to set up the goal.

Had a quick look at RTE's stay sheet and he wasn't listed in the scorers at all. Regardless it's ridiculous to say he skinned Lacey, particularly for most of the second half Sheehan was anonymous and that was the key period in the game.

Wow. You didn't see the game, did you?

I did and Sheehan, like most of the Cork team, was largely MIA for half the game. I highly doubt you could list off yesterday's scorers and their points totals without a look at a stat line.

It's just the usual forum maxim of ratcheting up the verbosity of statements, 'he gave him a roasting', as predictable as it is annoying. So many want so deserately to make the definitive opinion on players and teams that they forget it's only ever going to be an opinion.

maigheo

jeez Syferus that hole is getting deeper and deeper :)

Syferus

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on August 28, 2012, 01:50:58 AM
Quote from: maigheo on August 28, 2012, 01:43:26 AM
jeez Syferus that hole is getting deeper and deeper :)

Meaning?
Put your shovel away, climb back out of that dark hole and go to bed.

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

cadence

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2012, 11:57:22 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2012, 10:52:10 PM

Cassidy would still be a great asset as a player. But he broke the pirate' s code.

A GAA book is a book too many most of the time but ridiculous for a player that still had stuff to do to spill the beans because some guy was writing a book and doing interviews. Utter shite call by Cassidy. I ve not read Cass's stuff  ( couldn t be arsed) - all you need to know about Donegal is watch them play, preferably as often as possible. Savage player Cassidy but McGuinness was dead right cutting him off. McGuiness was punishing stupidity and ego - traits that are not detectable in the present Donegal side. They re also the most disciplined/honest  team I ve ever seen at this.... well ever.

that's a big claim, but one thing i know, i love this donegal team. the joy they give to us supporters is unlike any other donegal side...  including the late 80s-early 90s side. maybe that has something to do with the brickbats that have been thrown at them, you become protective because they have been very gracious in how they've responded and handled it all. but jibes are jibes after all. uncalled for and over the line.

it's good to have something to define yourself with i suppose. and it's something else to have a team that will go through hell and highwater for the county. as an immigrant, you just can't beat your county doing it the way donegal are doing it... the sense of belonging somewhere is amped up just that little bit more. fuckenlovethisdonegalteam!

NAG1

Just checking lads, but all this talk of a Donegal 'System' is it not simply the Tyrone blanket defence re-worked with more physicality and less attacking?