Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Quote from: ONeill on August 05, 2012, 10:50:24 PM
Cork'll take McHugh's head off before five minutes have sounded. That'll win it for them.

Can't believe no one has done this yet.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

ck

As a neutral in Croke Park yesterday I was disgusted at the levels of cynical fouling all over the pitch. Donegal are the biggest culprits and have mastered this as part of their gameplan.

Gaelic Football is the only game I know of that fouling will help your team. Fouling therefore is a positive tactic and one that teams are now being coached. In fairness Cork seemed to play the game fairly. My advice to them is to get cynical if they want to win.

The GAA really needs to address this. Bring in the sin bin, two fouls and you are in. Also the fouler should be made go behind the kicker for the free kick. The advantage should be with the man with the free kick. The present system means its almost a disadvantage to get a free kick.

endk17

Wondering if anybody can help me out with X2/x3 Premium Level tickets for this one. If you can, please message me back or PM me and if you's can't thanks all the same.

magpie seanie

Quote from: cadence on August 08, 2012, 12:04:10 AM
http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/donegal-club-championship-postponed-1-4136739

good to hear it.

Yes - it's all about 30 players and to hell with everyone else. Cop yourself on! This is an absolute scandal that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Obviously most Donegal people will disagree if it lands them Sam - much like their "style" of play, the end justifies the means - but it's just wrong that club football is treated so shabbily. We all know where this is going and most people don't give a shit becasue they aren't involved in clubs.

cadence

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2012, 04:38:46 PM
http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/donegal-club-championship-postponed-1-4136739

good to hear it.

Yes - it's all about 30 players and to hell with everyone else. Cop yourself on! This is an absolute scandal that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Obviously most Donegal people will disagree if it lands them Sam - much like their "style" of play, the end justifies the means - but it's just wrong that club football is treated so shabbily. We all know where this is going and most people don't give a shit becasue they aren't involved in clubs.

as far as i'm aware, the clubs are supportive. and it's hardly a scandal to most, altough i do recognise that this can be a very upsetting topic for some people.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2012, 04:38:46 PM

good to hear it.

I think what is scandalous is the fact that clubs are deprived of their best players for much of the season because they are tied up with the county team. What compounds the issue is that you have a brave few panelists who will get little to no playing time and are actually regressing riding the pines when they could be playing for their club side.

I agree 100% Seanie that the clubs get treated shabbily, the problem is that club football makes little to know money and the county teams are were the dosh is at, and that is why the clubs play second fiddle to the county teams.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

CorkMan

This is a tough one to call. Donegal were so impressive against Kerry, but so were Cork against Kildare. Cork also hadn't played a competitive since playing Kerry in the Munster Semi-final. If anyone can get through the blanket defence, I think it's Cork because of their size. Whoever wins this will win the All-Ireland imo.

rodney trotter

Leo McGloone had developed into a very good player with Donegal. He played most of the league at centre back, played there aswell with UUJ this year. He looks a very good player on the 40. Gallagher will be back to full fitness the next day do Donegal should be at full strength.

I think Cork would have won Sam last year if  Goulding,Sheehan and O Neill were available.It will be a huge task for Donegal. Hope the can do it.

Farrandeelin

Would you get tickets around Croke Park on the day of this game? Our minors are on beforehand and I'm probably going to end up going after them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orchardman

Will be loads of tickets, the game won't get anywhere near 70,000 even. Both quarter finals double bills struggled to get 60,000, even with the dubs. I'd say the dub mayo game might be near a sell out alright, but this game could see donegal bring 40,000 with 5-10,000 from cork, plus a few other heads like me who will be going.

eviemonkey

I'd expect a decent Cork crowd to travel for this one, over 15,000 or so. There was sizeable Cork crowds for the Semis in 2009 v Tyrone and in 2010 v Dublin and I could see a similar turnout for this one.

Like Kerry and Kilkenny Cork folk are spoilt and tend to be fussy in which games they decide to attend. Various factors come into play, one of which is the level of respect they'd have for the opposition. That sounds arrogant and it probably is but when people have to pick and choose the games they attend they will pick the ones with the higher profile. Donegal are correctly perceived as been a top contender so the game will attract a bigger than normal Cork crowd.

But overall I wouldn't see the attendance topping 50,000 so no issue with tickets.

Home of the champs

Corks cynical fouling will play a major aspect to the game. They wont let donegal build from the back but instead stop their runs from the donegal full back line.  If an attacker is pushed up on McHugh he might struggle to cope with that, but I feel it will be down to whether Cork will feel comfortable in pushing an attacker up on Mark McHugh rather than the convential idea of letting the 'loose half back' become a sweeper. 

the Deel Rover

good to hear it.

What i find gas is that Donegal have asked the ulster council to delay the running of the ulster club championship so that they can have a team to participate in it . Simple solution if you want a team in the ulster club championship then run your own championship don't be postponing games for the whole of the summer. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

cadence

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 10, 2012, 12:01:53 PM

good to hear it.

What i find gas is that Donegal have asked the ulster council to delay the running of the ulster club championship so that they can have a team to participate in it . Simple solution if you want a team in the ulster club championship then run your own championship don't be postponing games for the whole of the summer.

meh.... ulster delay, fine, they don't, no biggie (as buffy used to say).