Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

The lads on Off the Ball last nite were taking this piss out of the RTE lads claiming it was all about hunger. They rightly said that was just lazy journalism and that the team that prepares better wins
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Sidney

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 04, 2012, 02:57:13 PM
The lads on Off the Ball last nite were taking this piss out of the RTE lads claiming it was all about hunger. They rightly said that was just lazy journalism and that the team that prepares better wins
It's a cliche but it's true - hunger is a massive deciding factor in such games. Lack of hunger means your training is not as good, your frame of mind is not as good, your willingness to go in for that 50/50 ball where you risk getting smashed is not quite the same. The hungrier team will almost always prepare better. Good preparation is a function of hunger.

liihb

Would agree, although I like the off the ball guys, yer man Murph thinks he's becoming one of the true experts of the game lately. Hunger and a want to win are vital, its not just on the day tho, its the prep and training before that. Both teams wanted to win on Sunday, but Mayo as a unit definitely wanted it more than Dublin did, and got the performance and result that that hunger/want deserved.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Hound

First of all well done to Mayo. Super display of scoring.

I don't think hunger played any part in this at all. It was an All Ireland semi final, they hadnt done a whole heap to get there, but I'm positive the hunger was there for this game.

The big problem was we just made a ballix of it. Our decision making as to when to shoot / when to pass in the first half was just appalling. Cost us a heap of scores.

The Alan Brogan situation was just bizarre.

Great heart, fitness and appetite shown by the lads in the last 20 minutes. Couldnt ask any more in terms of effort. But just couldnt get it done.

I thought Mayo were done when they were dropping like flies. I'd no clue you could use limitless subs in the case of injuries, certainly helped them that were able to keep replacing lads who were done. And late on, a couple of big balls won in midfield and good scores got them over the winning line. Well done!

highorlow

QuoteI'd no clue you could use limitless subs in the case of injuries,

It's limited alright but blood subs are a different item.

I saw McLoughlin's one and it looked like his head accidently clashed with McCarthy's boot. Varley was acting like he was pushing his man out of the way and his nose clashed with the backs elbow. I can't remember our 3rd blood sub? Then we had the standard 5 changes.

Gilroy has a lot to answer for alright....did yer man Mickey Whealan retiring have anything to do with some of the bad calls....what was his role in the backroom team last year?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ballinaman

Quote from: highorlow on September 04, 2012, 06:24:38 PM

I saw McLoughlin's one and it looked like his head accidently clashed with McCarthy's boot. Varley was acting like he was pushing his man out of the way and his nose clashed with the backs elbow. I can't remember our 3rd blood sub? Then we had the standard 5 changes.

Gilroy has a lot to answer for alright....did yer man Mickey Whealan retiring have anything to do with some of the bad calls....what was his role in the backroom team last year?
Think it was for Keegan. Obviously hoped they could re locate the finger on the side of the pitch. There was nice wound to go with it to which is fairly unusual for dislocations.

spuds

I dunno no freeking Pat Gilroy

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

The Western People delivering the probable headline of the year, maybe the even the decade:

FL/MAYO

Quote from: ballinaman on September 04, 2012, 06:52:53 PM

Think it was for Keegan. Obviously hoped they could re locate the finger on the side of the pitch. There was nice wound to go with it to which is fairly unusual for dislocations.

That could have happened if he has a compound fracture and the bone came through the skin. Will he be alright for the final or is it still unknown?

ballinaman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 04, 2012, 09:35:44 PM

That could have happened if he has a compound fracture and the bone came through the skin. Will he be alright for the final or is it still unknown?
Aye, but Sean Moffatt wouldn't have signaled a blood sub if there was a bone coming through the skin, he would have been off  permanently Obviously had a look at it and deemed it a dislocation and hope he would have been able to return I'd say.

Dislocated. Will be ok for final is what i heard.

Sam2011

Not going to say a lot about the game as there isn't much else to be said about it at this stage.

First of all congratulations to the Mayo squad and management on a fantastic performance.

It was one of the best days I've had in Croker. It had everything- the atmosphere, the hard hitting, the spectacular scoring, the drama of the comeback, the blood, sweat and tears and sportsmanship ( bar one Dublin player ).

I can't single out one player that was outstanding, every single one of them were.

Our backs done very well under pressure in the last 20mins.
Our midfield threw their weight around and caught some clean ball at vital times.
Our forwards all done what was asked of them and upped the performance that little bit extra in the absence of Andy.
Subs as well done their job when they came on.
And finally the management done very well when the quick subs had to be made for the injured players.

As for the Dublin revival I think one of the factors in it was McLoughln going off injured as we then stopped picking up the breaks and linking as he is our main man. It was no harm for the lads to be put to the pin of their collar at the end as it will stand to them in the next game and keep all the talk about Donegal.

Also I thought the Dublin players were very gracious in defeat as were the supporters. They showed great pride to come back in the end . Best of luck to ye next year.

Those of ye worrying about brolly and the media, let them f**k off. The fact of the matter is we're in an All Ireland Final and we should be embracing it 'cause we don't know when we'll be in this position again. The players and supporters have a great three weeks ahead of banter, nerves and excitement so lets enjoy it!

criostlinn

Quote from: ballinaman on September 04, 2012, 09:44:40 PM

Aye, but Sean Moffatt wouldn't have signaled a blood sub if there was a bone coming through the skin, he would have been off  permanently Obviously had a look at it and deemed it a dislocation and hope he would have been able to return I'd say.

Keegan was interviewed after and said he would be fine. I taught he went off to hospital during the game though so its hard to think he was ever coming back on.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: criostlinn on September 04, 2012, 10:07:00 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 04, 2012, 09:44:40 PM

Keegan was interviewed after and said he would be fine. I taught he went off to hospital during the game though so its hard to think he was ever coming back on.

Seems he was back in Croker before the game was finished.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hardy

One thing puzzled me. Why do you need to be semi-carted off with a dislocated/broken finger? How does that affect your walking?

DuffleKing

Quote from: Hardy on September 04, 2012, 10:53:52 PM
One thing puzzled me. Why do you need to be semi-carted off with a dislocated/broken finger? How does that affect your walking?

Exactly right. baffled me at the time