Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

There is something very different about this Mayo team. They tired physically but, crucially, not mentally. And they had to cope with huge losses. The Dubs give out about missing Alan Brogan - we had no Andy Moran and when McLoughlin was gone off, Mayo were outscored by seven points.

Like Iolar says, every chance to lose was presented to this team. They refused to die. Will they win the All-Ireland? Still hard to know but if they don't, they'll go damn close and won't be one bit afraid of their opponents or the occasion.

It's a great day to be from Mayo.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

maigheo

Isee in todays Examiner that the Dublin county board are meeting to discuss an objection to Mayos use of subs last sunday.I think the crux of there argument is that when Kevin MCLoughlin came back on that he did not replace Colm Boyle who had replaced him previously and therefore Colm Boyle became a full sub which would make six subs used by Mayo.I am sure nothing will come of it but the rule needs to be tightened up and if I remember correctly Dublin took advantage of the same rule in the 2006 semi when they took there time bringing back 2 players who went off with blood injuries.

cuconnacht

Quote from: stephenite on September 03, 2012, 11:04:04 AM
Quote from: cuconnacht on September 03, 2012, 06:49:42 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 02, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
Mayo by 4. Hard to be objective from 12,000 miles mind you.

Whoever wins today will win the All Ireland
wrong by the minimum,but wrong no less,and you a Stephenite ;)

Sure I'm wrong most of the time!
Your right! ;D
Or your definitely a mayomans right kinda wrong! ;DI better stop im, bamboozlin meself :D

cuconnacht

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 03, 2012, 02:45:44 PM
Quote from: highorlow on September 03, 2012, 02:07:45 PM
QuoteI think his officials must take a great part of the blame for some of his mistakes but, all in all, he managed to do nothing that changed the course of the game.

If Brogan got a goal that time that 50 that shinned off McManamon and should have been wide would have been a talking point.

I thought Clucko pointed that 50. (Point no. 13 I think.) The umpire got his call wrong for that one as it was really a wide, plain as daylight. It's hard to see why the Dub who burst Varley's nose didn't even get a card for his troubles. LIke the 50 incident, the umpires at that end were asleep on the job. But Mayo got away with a few incidents also, none of them as serious as a few  he failed to penalise Dublin for. I don't think he was biased really, just incompetent pure and simple.
It was more down to good luck than to good referring that Joe Mac isn't hogging the headlines today.
I sure hope he doesn't get the final.
you answered your own puzzle there Lar,the mans an atrocity,wish he,d feck off back to route and stop ruinin the good rep of breffni men.IF he gets the final I,l strangle him with his own whistle

Farrandeelin

He won't get the final. Donegal made sure of that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Canalman

Haven't read any postmatch postings so firstly well done to Mayo. Am convinced they will win the final and handily enough at that.

All Dublin's old failings were back again on Sunday, poor team selection, poor substitutions, too slow to make the changes, failure to take our goal chances. Management while rightly lauded last year have to take alot of the blame here and quiet simply imo should have bit the bullet and dropped one of the 3 midfielders who started.Drift defence discarded as well.

No ifs and buts but Brogan should have nailed that goal chance............no way Cooper, O'Connor, Coulter etc would have missed. Hit at a height that keepers love.

Anyway a good fightback from the lads to avoid a humiliation that was on the cards with 20 mins to go.
Once again well done to Mayo .

Crete Boom

First of all I'd like to say hard luck to the Dubs. I thought they were great champions and threw everything they could in to the fight back.To score 8 points without reply from 10 points down in the second half of and All Ireland semi takes some effort. McCauley and Flynn were huge all through the game for you and in fairness to Bernard Brogan he kept showing for and getting on the ball even if it wasn't fully happening for him on the day. Martin Kilkenny looks a serious player in the making provided he isn't lost to Aussie rules! Also as had been said before fair play to the Dub fans for being a big part of a cracking atmosphere and being so gracious in defeat.
As for our own lads my main worry was our forwards getting enough scores! Well shows what I know about football. I don't think I have ever seen a better exhibition of long range point taking and team scores from us ever and when Cillian was stroking over those 45's the confidence in me just grew and grew in the first half. Aiden O ' Shea's composure on the ball and then the range of passes he showed was also a delight for every Mayoman. They wasn't too many negatives for me just that we seemed to suffer from the injuries and tire in the second half and also Cillian and Conroy failed to take those goal chances under pressure which would have killed Dublin at that stage. It was nice to see Seami O' Shea get that ball and rifle it over without any hesitation to seal the match though.
Overall while we can look forward to improving on our display we still scored 19 points , dethroned the All Ireland champions and got into the showpiece match on the one day! Let the painting of wrapped bales , sheep , cars , writing of dodgy songs and general apery begin 8)
  Mhaigheo Abu.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Mayo buckos I never saw so many straw hats, wooly head bands wrapped around heads, brightly coloured jumpers tucked into slacks, red faced men, and buckos whooping their arms into fever like they were prodding cattle up the road  ;D........................great stuff altogether

seafoid

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 04, 2012, 10:24:47 AM
Mayo buckos I never saw so many straw hats, wooly head bands wrapped around heads, brightly coloured jumpers tucked into slacks, red faced men, and buckos whooping their arms into fever like they were prodding cattle up the road  ;D........................great stuff altogether

I would just note that I passed by 3 junkies on the way to the Cusack Stand a few Sundays ago. Dub stereotypes are alive alive oh...

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: maigheo on September 04, 2012, 02:22:02 AM
Isee in todays Examiner that the Dublin county board are meeting to discuss an objection to Mayos use of subs last sunday.I think the crux of there argument is that when Kevin MCLoughlin came back on that he did not replace Colm Boyle who had replaced him previously and therefore Colm Boyle became a full sub which would make six subs used by Mayo.I am sure nothing will come of it but the rule needs to be tightened up and if I remember correctly Dublin took advantage of the same rule in the 2006 semi when they took there time bringing back 2 players who went off with blood injuries.

*In Mc Stay voice* Ah no, god no .......................... ;)

No chance thats paper talk again trying to make us Dubs look bad .................similar to A vs B games etc ................................its in the books, get on with it, next year wont be long rolling around

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: seafoid on September 04, 2012, 10:30:00 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 04, 2012, 10:24:47 AM

I would just note that I passed by 3 junkies on the way to the Cusack Stand a few Sundays ago. Dub stereotypes are alive alive oh...

Dont be so bloody sensitive....................... tis the truth is it not, Im surprised you didnt see more than 3 junkies btw ..............its a an epidemic in this dear city

Halfquarter

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2012, 11:10:08 PM
Just watched the full version on RTE player now, flew over for the game so didn't see it on telly, but holy f**k Brolly would sicken your hole. Would the lad ever shut up and let another man talk. Spillane looks like a genius in his company. I have actually had a drink with Brolly many years ago up in Derry, he is a great man to have a drink with (well I was drinking cannot remember if he was drinking, he did a whole feckn lot of talking), and thats where his football analysis should stay, down the feckn pub.
Had to laugh at Brolly,before the match he says " I've never seen Dillon deliver on the big occasion "
Two hours later Dillon is the Man of the Match !!

spuds

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 04, 2012, 10:44:33 AM
Just watched the full version on RTE player now, flew over for the game so didn't see it on telly, but holy f**k Brolly would sicken your hole. Would the lad ever shut up and let another man talk. Spillane looks like a genius in his company. I have actually had a drink with Brolly many years ago up in Derry, he is a great man to have a drink with (well I was drinking cannot remember if he was drinking, he did a whole feckn lot of talking), and thats where his football analysis should stay, down the feckn pub.
Had to laugh at Brolly,before the match he says " I've never seen Dillon deliver on the big occasion "
Two hours later Dillon is the Man of the Match !!
Watched game last night again, Brolly is getting things so wrong so often it renders him a sideshow, making Spillane sound reasonable ! O'Rourke pulled Brolly at the half time analysis after he said Fennell and Bastick getting cleaned out and then that Dublin winning the midfield battle. Dillon showed him up as did the Gooch earlier in summer as an utter eloquent spoofer. Donegal the big winner he said afterwards.....
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2012, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2012, 11:18:18 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2012, 11:15:46 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I d say he d be great crack for a few pints alright. Gobby f**ker - like meself.

f**k I hope I haven't given my identity away there Moysider  :-X  a few other Mayo people there that day too.

No worries, I wasn t one of them anyway.

Sure we ll all have to meet up and do a bit of pinting on the Saturday?

Sure, they re great times. Only 96/97 can even begin to compare to the Horan era.
The 96-97 side was the best I have seen before now but they didn't match up to Horan's Heros in a number of important aspects.
Maughan's team in the drawn game caved in under pressure in Mayo's time-honoured fashion.
By contrast, the team on Sunday never lost the plot and had regained their composure in the dying moments. Maughan's side were big men, all over six feet, and were in superb physical condition but even the manager caved in when Meath turned the screw.
As an old Kerry friend, a man with a few AI medals, said to me afterwards, "If ye had Micko on the sideline, there'd be no need for a replay."
Anything that's all history now.
In stark contrast, our two Jimmys didn't flap up and down the sideline like headless chickens or turn their backs when Mayo were awarded close-in frees. Like yourself, I've had a lot more dinner times than dinners when it comes to Mayo football and the is the first time I've seen a team that has what it takes to go the whole way.
I seldom watch The Sunday Game or its counterparts on other stations so what Brolly and his ilk has to say doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I'm interested enough, I'll have the game recorded and I'll carry out my own analysis. IMHO, this game won't be won or lost in an RTE studio; what goes on in each player's mind will be all-important. 
Both managers are top class and will have taken all steps possible to prepare their respective teams for what lies ahead; both have already been there as players but neither will actually play.
So far, so good - it's going to up to the players on the day.
Mayo have a definite advantage here.
Clarkie, Keith and Alan have been there before and so have Gardiner and McGarrity. I'm not forgetting Andy either who still remains an integral part of the squad.No Donegal player has been through this particular mill before.
So I'm praying that the Brollys of this world will overload them with hype.
Same as happened to the Dubs in 2006 but this time the stakes are higher and the mental pressures far greater than all Donegal players have experienced before now.
If either side wilts, my bet is that it won't be Mayo.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

the Deel Rover

It's amazing what a win does. Last week there was very little talk of the match now everyone is talking about the final and you can see that peoples spirits are lifted, no one worried about health cuts , the recession, emigration, property tax for at least 3 weeks, now all that's on peoples minds is getting the tickets for the Ai final jesus even the sun has come out.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001