Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffronandblue

Fair play to Horan and all of his backroom team.  I  would have been one of his greatest critics to date, but am delighted to say that I was wrong.  Cian O'Neill must be doing something right as well.  Worth the bucks it seems, as this is his 4th All Ireland appearance in a row after the last 3 with Tipp.

Clarke and Cafferty were outstanding once again.....like with Mcloughlin, the pundits all seem to overlook just how good they are on a regular basis. They quietly do their job with the minimum of fuss.  All the team deserve massive credit for the hard work that they have obviously put in.

Farrandeelin

It's probably all been said at this stage, but it's mighty to be back in another AIF. f**k the detractors.

I honestly thought we were going to blow it after the Dubs got to within 2 points coming to the final hurdle. Clarke had two crucial saves to make and he is a great keeper. Fair play to him. Jesus, the fullbacks were under severe pressure but they did magnificently. Higgins was class, as was Cafferkey and Kevin Keane. Fair play to them. I must say I was nervous when I heard Chris Barrett's name called out, but he did well I thought. It was a blow to have Colm Boyle out with the flu, but he came on and did a good job too. I hate to take anything away from a fine overall display, but I thought Vaughan was poor. I also think it would be suffice to say he hasn't regained his form from earlier on in the year and that could be the difference the next day out. He at number 6 was the only man that worried me yesterday. A crucial position to be worried about!

AOS was brilliant, he was harrying and hassling the Dublin forwards any time he could, and got up the field ant popped good passes to our forwards as well. Barry Moran hadn't his easy clean catching game but we were all ready for that. I thought that we didn't win enough breaking ball around the middle (due to Vaughan's showing), but I suppose we made up for it by having the fullback line in place at every opportunity.

Also, if anyone said Mayo would score 0-19 without Andy Moran, this time last week, you'd be laughed at. (I'd be thinking the same myself too ya know!) But fair fucks to the lot of them, each one of them scored. And Michael Conroy was very effective in his winning of the ball. Granted he gave the wrong pass a few times, but I thought he did well to show for the ball anyway. The half forwards were brilliant. Dillon and McLoughlin especially. I thought COC ended up out at CHF for most of the game too and contributed effectively as well. I thought McLoughlin going off coincided with Dublin getting a run at us. Then again, maybe that's my own Knockmore tinted glasses - I dunno. And well done to all of the subs who came on and did their bit for the cause. It was great as Deel Rover said to hear the Green and Red of Mayo sang aloud by every Mayoman.

Dublin must surely be kicking themselves about Kevin McMenamon not being brought on. For me, I'd start him straight away. MDM also had a blinder and that could be one of the reason why Vaughan was so poor. (I tend to look at things from a Mayo perspective anyway) Fair play to the Hill, say what you like about them, most stayed on listening to grownup Mayomen singing afterwards.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2012, 07:40:48 PM
It's probably all been said at this stage, but it's mighty to be back in another AIF. f**k the detractors.

I honestly thought we were going to blow it after the Dubs got to within 2 points coming to the final hurdle. Clarke had two crucial saves to make and he is a great keeper. Fair play to him. Jesus, the fullbacks were under severe pressure but they did magnificently. Higgins was class, as was Cafferkey and Kevin Keane. Fair play to them. I must say I was nervous when I heard Chris Barrett's name called out, but he did well I thought. It was a blow to have Colm Boyle out with the flu, but he came on and did a good job too. I hate to take anything away from a fine overall display, but I thought Vaughan was poor. I also think it would be suffice to say he hasn't regained his form from earlier on in the year and that could be the difference the next day out. He at number 6 was the only man that worried me yesterday. A crucial position to be worried about!

AOS was brilliant, he was harrying and hassling the Dublin forwards any time he could, and got up the field ant popped good passes to our forwards as well. Barry Moran hadn't his easy clean catching game but we were all ready for that. I thought that we didn't win enough breaking ball around the middle (due to Vaughan's showing), but I suppose we made up for it by having the fullback line in place at every opportunity.

Also, if anyone said Mayo would score 0-19 without Andy Moran, this time last week, you'd be laughed at. (I'd be thinking the same myself too ya know!) But fair f**ks to the lot of them, each one of them scored. And Michael Conroy was very effective in his winning of the ball. Granted he gave the wrong pass a few times, but I thought he did well to show for the ball anyway. The half forwards were brilliant. Dillon and McLoughlin especially. I thought COC ended up out at CHF for most of the game too and contributed effectively as well. I thought McLoughlin going off coincided with Dublin getting a run at us. Then again, maybe that's my own Knockmore tinted glasses - I dunno. And well done to all of the subs who came on and did their bit for the cause. It was great as Deel Rover said to hear the Green and Red of Mayo sang aloud by every Mayoman.

Dublin must surely be kicking themselves about Kevin McMenamon not being brought on. For me, I'd start him straight away. MDM also had a blinder and that could be one of the reason why Vaughan was so poor. (I tend to look at things from a Mayo perspective anyway) Fair play to the Hill, say what you like about them, most stayed on listening to grownup Mayomen singing afterwards.

I agree that McLoughlin going off was a factor as was fatigue, Aiden O Shea ran himself into the ground and was shagged for last 15 mins.Cannot remember Clarke's other save, was that from Connolly, thought it would have gone wide, think they got a point off the 50 if that is the one.

Vaughan scared me, I was roaring for him just to please pass it to a Mayoman, I would say his amount of turnovers on passing will not be pretty reading.

It is fantastic to get back to an All-Ireland. I am delighted for James Horan his backroom team and the entire panel. I am so proud of them. Another trip home from NY to an all Ireland final with Mayo in it. No 7 including replay in 1996.

bucko

Thought Vaughan struggled a bit alright, gave McAuley a lot of room and turned over a fair bit of ball with some poor passing or in the tackle. I reckon if Keegan hadn't got injured Donie may have been subbed. Great team performance tho, Dillon deserved motm, but Mcloughlin, O'Shea, Caff, Higgins and Clarke could have had equal claims. The Dubs comeback wasn't good for the blood pressure, but while it was a bit of a worry that they got back that close, winning like that may be better for us in the long run than coming away with a 10+ point victory.

Jell 0 Biafra

Congratulations Mayo; better team won. 

For all of those Mayo posters moaning about McQuillan's "ties" to the Dubs:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/refs-face-undue-pressures-206269.html

maigheo

I was another one who thought Vaughan struggled big time and he never looked comfortable in any thing he done. MDM got away from him numerous times in the first half and a more natural forward would have punished us even more. I think Vaughan will be under serious pressure to retain his place for the final as in my opinion he is totally unsuited to playing against a team like Donegal and with the displays of Feeney and Barret we are not found wanting for quality half backs.All in all a great display and it was something of a shock to be 10 points up with 20 min to go but once C O Connor nailed that 40 yard free I felt we were home.Looking forward to the final and there is nothing better in life than to be in Croke Park on all ireland final day when your team runs out on to the field.

seafoid

Quote from: joemamas on September 03, 2012, 07:49:20 PM

Also, if anyone said Mayo would score 0-19 without Andy Moran, this time last week, you'd be laughed at. (I'd be thinking the same myself too ya know!) But fair f**ks to the lot of them, each one of them scored. And Michael Conroy was very effective in his winning of the ball. Granted he gave the wrong pass a few times, but I thought he did well to show for the ball anyway. The half forwards were brilliant. Dillon and McLoughlin especially. I thought COC ended up out at CHF for most of the game too and contributed effectively as well. I thought McLoughlin going off coincided with Dublin getting a run at us. Then again, maybe that's my own Knockmore tinted glasses - I dunno. And well done to all of the subs who came on and did their bit for the cause. It was great as Deel Rover said to hear the Green and Red of Mayo sang aloud by every Mayoman.

I agree that McLoughlin going off was a factor as was fatigue, Aiden O Shea ran himself into the ground and was shagged for last 15 mins.Cannot remember Clarke's other save, was that from Connolly, thought it would have gone wide, think they got a point off the 50 if that is the one.

Vaughan scared me, I was roaring for him just to please pass it to a Mayoman, I would say his amount of turnovers on passing will not be pretty reading.

It is fantastic to get back to an All-Ireland. I am delighted for James Horan his backroom team and the entire panel. I am so proud of them. Another trip home from NY to an all Ireland final with Mayo in it. No 7 including replay in 1996.
i hope number 7 is the sam experience and that you get to see him arrive in ballyhaunis before heading back to the states.

Mayo4Sam

In fairness to Vaughan he was sacrificed for the greater good yesterday.
Under normal circumstances someone, prob Kevin McL, would have dropped back and covered but because of the plans to cut out Cluxtons kickouts. It meant tht when MDM won clean possession he turned and had 20 yards of open space. Any balls that were broken when won by Dublin and moved quickly. So I wouldn't blame Vaughan completely. IMHO he should have been told to stay on the ground and wait for him to come down before wrapping him up
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Agree 100% with all of the above. Still too distracted by it all to be arsed commenting much - it was all there for us all to see.
What I will say is I m still getting my head around how we managed to carve out a win after losing Boyle and Keegan and McLoughlin for 15mims at a crucial stage. Heroic stuff. I dont give a shite if the wheels nearly came off - because there was a good reason for it rather than bad reasons like in the past. We have a management and team we can be proud of. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2012, 10:23:42 PM

Agree 100% with all of the above. Still too distracted by it all to be arsed commenting much - it was all there for us all to see.
What I will say is I m still getting my head around how we managed to carve out a win after losing Boyle and Keegan and McLoughlin for 15mims at a crucial stage. Heroic stuff. I dont give a shite if the wheels nearly came off - because there was a good reason for it rather than bad reasons like in the past. We have a management and team we can be proud of. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

This is the critical thing. Mayo were provided with an excuse to lose, and they didn't take it. They held out to win. We haven't seen that often over the years. Horan has fellas playing above themselves. They'll keep it kicked out to Donegal, please God.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Just watched the full version on RTE player now, flew over for the game so didn't see it on telly, but holy f**k Brolly would sicken your hole. Would the lad ever shut up and let another man talk. Spillane looks like a genius in his company. I have actually had a drink with Brolly many years ago up in Derry, he is a great man to have a drink with (well I was drinking cannot remember if he was drinking, he did a whole feckn lot of talking), and thats where his football analysis should stay, down the feckn pub.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2012, 11:10:08 PM
Just watched the full version on RTE player now, flew over for the game so didn't see it on telly, but holy f**k Brolly would sicken your hole. Would the lad ever shut up and let another man talk. Spillane looks like a genius in his company. I have actually had a drink with Brolly many years ago up in Derry, he is a great man to have a drink with (well I was drinking cannot remember if he was drinking, he did a whole feckn lot of talking), and thats where his football analysis should stay, down the feckn pub.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I d say he d be great crack for a few pints alright. Gobby f**ker - like meself.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2012, 11:15:46 PM

I d say he d be great crack for a few pints alright. Gobby f**ker - like meself.

f**k I hope I haven't given my identity away there Moysider  :-X  a few other Mayo people there that day too.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2012, 11:18:18 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2012, 11:15:46 PM

f**k I hope I haven't given my identity away there Moysider  :-X  a few other Mayo people there that day too.

No worries, I wasn t one of them anyway.

Sure we ll all have to meet up and do a bit of pinting on the Saturday?

Sure, they re great times. Only 96/97 can even begin to compare to the Horan era.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 03, 2012, 11:04:04 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2012, 10:23:42 PM

This is the critical thing. Mayo were provided with an excuse to lose, and they didn't take it. They held out to win. We haven't seen that often over the years. Horan has fellas playing above themselves. They'll keep it kicked out to Donegal, please God.

f**k, that s so true!

The Dillon interview afterwards was different also. Not so much his words but he seemed in a different zone. These lads are not paying any attention to the script.