Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Should be a good final.  Was hoping that Mayo would win so that there would be a contrast of styles in the final.

Donegal will win I think.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

An Gaeilgoir

Most of it has been written at this stage, there is one man who spent as much time on the pitch yesterday as most of the players and deserves a mention, that was Jimmy Nallen, everytime out talking to the players, bits of instrcutions here and there, it is great to see that especially when we were under pressure around 60/65 minutes.

A great day to be a Mayoman yesterday, the Dubs were great champions and there fans gracious in defeat.

La Dar Saol.

Conallach

Mayo were super in the first half.

Delighted for them, they'll make fien opponents and it should be a great day out. Croke park will be creaking from all the emotion.

See you all in 20 (?) days!

stephenite

Quote from: cuconnacht on September 03, 2012, 06:49:42 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 02, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
Mayo by 4. Hard to be objective from 12,000 miles mind you.

Whoever wins today will win the All Ireland
wrong by the minimum,but wrong no less,and you a Stephenite ;)

Sure I'm wrong most of the time!

Main Street

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 02, 2012, 09:21:05 PM
Best team by far won. I think Mayo will beat donegal and it will be a great victory for football lovers if they do. Rugby league lovers might not be do happy.
No doubt it was a great victory for Mayo, but judging by the amount of cynical rugby tackles Mayo made to stop the Dub momentum, they would beat Donegal hands down in a rugby league type game. The ref (imo) should be empowered to dish out red cards for such tackles and add on time.
It's a pity that the game yesterday was blighted by this overt cynicism and the subsequent general acceptance of such tactics. The Donegal Cork semi final game was superior on all levels.

rosnarun

the only reason mayo mad such tackle was Dublin were blindly trying to walk the ball into the square where I'm sure a rugby tackle would not be required to bring them to ground. to expect mayo to stand aside is a very naive
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

QuoteNo doubt it was a great victory for Mayo, but judging by the amount of cynical rugby tackles Mayo made to stop the Dub momentum, they would beat Donegal hands down in a rugby league type game. The ref (imo) should be empowered to dish out red cards for such tackles and add on time.
It's a pity that the game yesterday was blighted by this overt cynicism and the subsequent general acceptance of such tactics. The Donegal Cork semi final game was superior on all levels.

At last a cynical Mayo team. We've waited a long time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: highorlow on September 03, 2012, 12:31:46 PM
QuoteNo doubt it was a great victory for Mayo, but judging by the amount of cynical rugby tackles Mayo made to stop the Dub momentum, they would beat Donegal hands down in a rugby league type game. The ref (imo) should be empowered to dish out red cards for such tackles and add on time.

At last a cynical Mayo team. We've waited a long time.

+1, nice boys win nothing!

Bord na Mona man

How Mayo finished out the game wasn't the total collapse that some people are claiming.
The easiest scores you'll ever get in a game are when the opposition are miles ahead and switched off slightly.

After 51 minutes there was 10 points in it. 8 minutes later Dublin had rattled over a few points to reduce the margin to 5. These are the easy scores, I'm talking about.
In the next 18 minutes with the game back in the fire, Dublin only managed to chip 2 more points off Mayo's lead.
From the 66th minute to the 76th minute (final whistle), both sides scored 2 points each.

Considering Mayo had to make 8 replacements during the course of the game, they were always to get ragged in shape.

sammymaguire

Twas some game! Fair play Mayo but Donegal will beat the men from the Wesht by 4 in the final though  :P
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 03, 2012, 01:01:06 PM
How Mayo finished out the game wasn't the total collapse that some people are claiming.
The easiest scores you'll ever get in a game are when the opposition are miles ahead and switched off slightly.

After 51 minutes there was 10 points in it. 8 minutes later Dublin had rattled over a few points to reduce the margin to 5. These are the easy scores, I'm talking about.
In the next 18 minutes with the game back in the fire, Dublin only managed to chip 2 more points off Mayo's lead.
From the 66th minute to the 76th minute (final whistle), both sides scored 2 points each.

Considering Mayo had to make 8 replacements during the course of the game, they were always to get ragged in shape.
+1
That's absolutely spot on and I'm not saying this just because I'm from Mayo.
Dublin were worthy champions and were always going to fight back. Throughout this season, they failed to find the form they showed in their AI win but you just knew they wouldn't bow out without a fight.
To their great credit, they did stage a magnificent rally and managed to get the easy scores you talk about but Mayo did recover their composure and finished the game strongly. Many in hindsight are now saying that Mayo simply ran out of steam but their rally at the end belies this. I can't recall ever seeing a game before when a side had to make 8 changes  and this more than anything else caused Mayo to lose their rhythm.
I thought the ref had an iffy game, riddled with errors and inconsistencies but both sides had good reasons to complain about his decisions. I think his officials must take a great part of the blame for some of his mistakes but, all in all, he managed to do nothing that changed the course of the game.
I'm sure he does his best but I still wouldn't like to see him in charge of any more of our matches in time to come.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

highorlow

QuoteI think his officials must take a great part of the blame for some of his mistakes but, all in all, he managed to do nothing that changed the course of the game.

If Brogan got a goal that time that 50 that shinned off McManamon and should have been wide would have been a talking point.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 03, 2012, 01:01:06 PM

Dublin had 2 wides at crucial points then the missed goal plus Mayo got up the pitch to score when Dublin needed to do it.
The thing about the fuball at the moment is that there is no team that is dominant. Cork and Dublin won the last 2 all Irelands by the minimum . Tyrone and Kerry are in decline.

Mayo are as as good as anyone.

brokencrossbar1

I missed about the first 15 minuts of the game but of what I did see I thought Mayo were very impressive.  I thought the movement in the forward line was excellent, their score takingtop drawer, the midfield solid and expressive while the defence were excellent, particulalry the FB line, in reading the passes inside to the FF line.  They have the playing style to beat Donegal if, and its a big if, they can match their work rate.  The one thing that impressed me was how they were able to commit "good" fouls at key times, the only criticism of it though was that they committed them too close to the goals and will need to improve on that.

As for the Dublin comeback I think you can attribute that to a few things.  Mayo did physically tire and that is to be expected.  Dublin started winning the hard ball, particulalry when McMenamin went on and in O'Gara they actually had a target in the FF line which was working.  Secondly, Dublin are the masters of the blitzkrieg attack.  Once they get their tails up, particulalry playing into the Hill, they regularly run off 5-6 points in a very short period of time, normally punctuated with a goal or 2.  The goals didn't come, thanks mostly to Clarke with a couple of excellent saves and Mayo really should thank him profusely for that.  The difference though that I see in Mayo now and Mayo for the last 20 odd years is that this team look very mentally strong and unlike previous Mayo teams the forward line is not based around a Messianic figure like McDonald but on a unit of players who know their jobs and can complete their tasks very effectively, which consequently breeds immense insular and collective confidence.  I really woul like to see them winning it this year as they play the best football of all the teams in it and it would lift a massive weight off the shoulders of an entire county.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.