Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

Quote from: Syferus on September 01, 2012, 08:43:23 PM
Quote from: cadence on September 01, 2012, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 01, 2012, 07:30:43 AM
Quote from: cadence on September 01, 2012, 07:15:57 AM
i see breheny in the indo today has tipped the dubs... one nail in the coffin coming up!

Sure that hoor never predicts anything Mayo regardless of the opposition. Dubs needn't be worried about that. I do agree with blast, discussion on Donie Vaughan has been minimal. Indeed we must remember that Mayo play a running game with all halfbacks, midfielders and half forwards able to chip in with a few scores at any stage. So do Dublin I suppose.

nothing new for mayo not to be getting their props from national press. this one is v tight. will go down to the wire.

having said that, mayo nearly always pull one cracker of a game a season out of the bag + horan. will be tactical and if your defence is stout and mean enough you have enough up front to get the points you need i think. dubs hit form and get a run of points, it might be a different story. but they haven't as yet and i like to think that form is something that is built up... dub are not the same as last year when they were astonishing at times, particularly against tyrone. can't seem them hitting that kind of form. mayo to win i think.

I think that game masks how tight most every other major championship match of the year was for the Dubs. We played Tyrone the week before and alot of what happened to them v. Dublin can be explained by the looseness they were exhibiting even before the game. The first half of Roscommon-Tyrone was one of the most open and free-flowing halves of football I've seen at senior level in a long time. That sort of form against Dublin's mass defence was probably always only going to end in one result.

i take your point (geddit!)... but tyrone didn't open the gates and let dubs walk through that day. dubs were hot that day. high tempo and great accuracy, almost every ball stuck. they just had a great day.

was a bit of both? tyrone went mano y mano, and dubs were purring. they play like that today, there's only going to be one winner. but they won't, so it's mayo all the way i think.

Sam2011

It's easy to get up on morningsese, nothing beats the championship buzz!
There was nice buzz around Dublin last night. Word was that Fennell and A.Brogan were out and O'Gara and Kilkenny were coming in.
Anyway best of luck to the team and management today and no matter what I'll be proud of the boys.

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!

Hound

Quote from: Sam2011 on September 02, 2012, 09:36:31 AM
There was nice buzz around Dublin last night. Word was that Fennell and A.Brogan were out and O'Gara and Kilkenny were coming in.
Anyway best of luck to the team and management today and no matter what I'll be proud of the boys.

Dropping Fennel would be a bad sign for Gilroy. Would indicate that he's going against what he believes and pandering to the "experts". Very hard to believe given Gilroy's history in the job

Fuzzman

Whilst I'd like to see a Funegal v Dublin final, I think it will be like 2010 with 2 new teams in the final. All Dubs I've spoken to in last 2 weeks are talking about the final & how they know how to beat Donegal

Hound

Quote from: ross4life on September 01, 2012, 09:15:58 PM
Apart from the Tyrone game Dublin weren't overly impressive last year but now as All Ireland champions they are expected to turn on the style in every game?

Dublin's performance in the all Ireland final is under rated by many.

The first 10 minutes were very cagey. The next 30, Dublin dominated, out scoring Kerry 8 scores to 2, with Kerry's great goal keeping them in it. Dublin's equally good goal at the end of Kerry's 20 min purple patch preceded superb scores under severe pressure by Nolan, brogan and cluxton.

If Dublin can repeat that level of performance I'd fancy them very strongly, but agree completely that it's a massive ask to turn it on today, when it's really 11 months since they played to that level.

The important question is are Mayo good enough to beat Dublin 2012. And the great thing about this game, is that nobody really knows. By a distance it's the biggest test either team will have had this year

Syferus

On board with the hated enemy. Didn't wear my Ros-acaun hat (with bells). Carriage more spacious than expected. Stations mustn't have sold through fully. Mayo cailins singing. More dispatches if I survive journey.

heffo

Quote from: Hound on September 02, 2012, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: Sam2011 on September 02, 2012, 09:36:31 AM

Dropping Fennel would be a bad sign for Gilroy. Would indicate that he's going against what he believes and pandering to the "experts". Very hard to believe given Gilroy's history in the job

He's been on the B team in training in recent games

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2012, 12:34:22 AM
Well why the f**k do you revel in every loss we suffer Rossfan? If we're not your greatest rivals. Because last time I checked you weren't from west Ros! Also can we not be optimistic!
I don't really revel in it. Just a bit of bad minded smiling maybe. :-*
Ye can be optimistic or whatever ye wish -- just that the more optimism emitting from ye the bigger the disaster usually.

Anyway enjoy the day out and sure ye'd never know - ye might make us suffer another 3 weeks of optimism :( ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stephenite

Mayo by 4. Hard to be objective from 12,000 miles mind you.

Whoever wins today will win the All Ireland

Hardy

That's the glory of sport, Stephenite. I think exactly the opposite. Dublin by four and no matter who wins today, Donegal will win the All-Ireland.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Optimism springs eternal, yet another beautiful aspect of it all!   ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bucko

Off to Croker now, still can't call it. If Dublin find form I don't think they'll overrun us but I think we'll struggle to get enough scores and it'll be the jacks by 2-3 pts. However if they don't click I fancy us by 4 pts. Slightly surprised by Gilroys apparent mind games, the whole "Alan Brogan is fit and back training" line to the strong speculation that he isn't fit to play at all today. That and the rumour that Fennel will be dropped makes me wonder had he already accepted 2 weeks ago that Brogan wouldn't make it and had to work on how to play without him.

From the Bunker

So Alan Brogan is out! Makes the game interesting. Colm Boyle out also.  :(

stephenite

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2012, 02:13:40 PM
So Alan Brogan is out! Makes the game interesting. Colm Boyle out also.  :(

Is Boyle confirmed? Who's in?

stew

Quote from: stephenite on September 02, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
Mayo by 4. Hard to be objective from 12,000 miles mind you.

Whoever wins today will win the All Ireland

Could not disagree more, Dublin will win today and lose to Donegal in the final, it is their year.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.