Galway v Cork, All-Ireland Semi-Final, Croke Park, 12th August

Started by CorkMan, July 31, 2012, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 03, 2012, 02:48:29 PM
Hope this isn't one of the modern games that are highly based around stats etc, Galway brought this type of game into the Leinster final. However I don't think it will be needed in the semi final, and could hinder them. Galway should back themselves to outscore Cork and go for the win in that style. Would also be great for the neutral, hopefully a decent crowd at this as we continue what has been a decent season so far for inter county hurling.

I'm not sure what you mean about Galway's game being based around stats. If you mean they were defensive against Kilkenny I would respectfully disagree. We scored 2-20 and 5 of our 6 forwards scored from play. I think the biggest difference was our workrate and the way Galway players hustled and tackled hard all over the field for 70 minutes. I see absolutely no reason why Galway would go away from that approach against Cork. There's no guarantee that it will be so effective again but you can bet your life savings that they'll set out to do the same.

Reillers

Very excited for it. Hopefully Cork will put in a big performance and then anything is possible.

We've a lot of young lads, nobody expected much from us this year, it was supposed to be a development year more than anything. We've a lot of young players and with youth comes endless confidence. When you get older a lot of pressure builds, we saw it year after year with Waterford, an outstanding team with incredible players who kept falling short, who did deserve to win an All Ireland, and as they got older the desperation grew higher.
Young players fear nothing, and there is no pressure on these players, no expectation. Galway are obviously favourites but anything can happen.

seafoid

Tipp are aristocrats living off 60s glories .  Not much to show since the 70s. Not super underage either .

johnneycool

This is a pretty dangerous game for Galway in many regards as its one they're expected to win and their performance against Kilkenny and recent wins over Cork in the championship would suggest as much. BUT Galway don't handle the favourites tag that well and have been inconsistent for a while now and this young Cork team is different are in bonus territory now and have nothing to lose and that's a dangerous thing for Galway.

It'll be interesting if Cunningham can get them right and get off to a flyer and if enough ball is pumped into the Cork defence then Canning and Co could get goals, Waterford didn't have the same quality of forwards barring Mullane to get the return the amount of ball that went in there should have yielded, whereas the Cork attack did well with what they had.

It's Galway's to lose, but Cork will not fear them and give it a good rattle.

Will go with Canning to bag the goals to make the difference.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 03, 2012, 01:55:22 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 03, 2012, 10:33:22 AM
If Galway don't crack under the pressure in this game, then they'll crack in the final.

I shouldn't bother but here's a stat for ya Premier Emperor. Tipp haven't won more than 1 All-Ireland in a decade since the 60's. Clare, Offaly and even poor old Galway have all managed it since then. Does 1 All-Ireland every 10 years in a sport with only  a few realistic contenders justify that level of arrogance.

Here's another stat for ya. Kilkenny have won more All-Irelands in the last 6 years than Tipp have won in the last 40. I'm sure whoever wins between Galway and Cork will be cheering for ye in the semi.    ;D

Ouch. They'll probably get a second one this decade though I'd say.

Fancy Galway to just come through on Sun. Expect Cunningham to show a new card along the lines of Hayes floating around the middle the last day. Was hoping to head to it but doesn't look like I'll make it now. Raging.

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Reillers

I don't think Galway will crack, if they get passed Cork (which hopefully they wont) and if they meet Kilkenny in the final, I think it'll be different now. I think Galway now know that not only can they play Kilkenny at their own game, but are well capable of beating them, and can be superior.

Now whether Kilkenny in all their frigthtful rage with their need for blood and pain, turn up is another question altogether. Then well..God help us all.

Reillers

Cork team for Galway game.

1. Anthony Nash
Kanturk

2. Shane O Neill 3. Stephen Mc Donnell 4. Brian Murphy
Bishopstown Glen Rovers Bride Rovers

5. Tom Kenny 6. Eoin Cadogan 7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín
Grenagh Douglas Na Piarsaigh

8. Pa Cronin 9. Lorcán McLoughlin
Bishopstown Kanturk

10. Conor Lehane 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Jamie Coughlan
Midleton Sarsfields Newtownshandrum

13. Paudie O'Sullivan 14. Luke O'Farrell 15. Patrick Horgan
Cloyne Midleton Glen Rovers

Subs:

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
17. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarrs
18. Conor O'Sullivan Sarsfields
19. William Egan Kilbrin   
20. John Gardiner Na Piarsaigh
21. Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh
22. Darren Sweetnam Dohenys
23. Daniel Kearney Sarsfields   
24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum   
25. Niall McCarthy Carrigtwohill
26. Stephen Moylan Douglas

CorkMan

Quote from: Reillers on August 09, 2012, 08:12:15 PM
Cork team for Galway game.

1. Anthony Nash
Kanturk

2. Shane O Neill 3. Stephen Mc Donnell 4. Brian Murphy
Bishopstown Glen Rovers Bride Rovers

5. Tom Kenny 6. Eoin Cadogan 7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín
Grenagh Douglas Na Piarsaigh

8. Pa Cronin 9. Lorcán McLoughlin
Bishopstown Kanturk

10. Conor Lehane 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Jamie Coughlan
Midleton Sarsfields Newtownshandrum

13. Paudie O'Sullivan 14. Luke O'Farrell 15. Patrick Horgan
Cloyne Midleton Glen Rovers

Subs:

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
17. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarrs
18. Conor O'Sullivan Sarsfields
19. William Egan Kilbrin   
20. John Gardiner Na Piarsaigh
21. Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh
22. Darren Sweetnam Dohenys
23. Daniel Kearney Sarsfields   
24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum   
25. Niall McCarthy Carrigtwohill
26. Stephen Moylan Douglas

Darren Sweetnam should be starting. Apart from him that's probably our best team available. I think we're going to win on Sunday because I've never seen Galway put two performances like the way they played against Kilkenny together. We haven't been great since our game in Munster against Tipp but we've been slowly building through the qualifiers. I've a good feeling about this game.

Asal Mor

I find it very disconcerting when Cork people start tipping us to win. It's a game Galway should win though. We should win a lot of possession and I think Mcdonnell can be taken for a couple of goals especially when Joe goes in full-forward for a while. Dangerous game though and I wouldn't fancy our chances in a tight finish with Sweetnam and Naughton coming off the bench to run at us.

Bord na Mona man

Galway 'should' win this, but they need to have put away Cork before the 55th or 60th minute. Once the game loosens up late on, it really suits Cork's fresh runners.

Certain less heralded Galway players have come to the fore already this summer, the likes of Cyril Donnellan for example. You can never be certain that they'll keep the streak of form going, or whether they'll drift back to more usual climes.

It should be fairly open game. Next weekend Kilkenny and Tipp will put more emphasis on the big hits and the smashing tackles and I'd anticipate a more gladatorial battle. This Sunday, I'd expect the ball to moved around a bit quicker as both teams prefer it fast and open.

CitySlicker11

Corks bench, youthfulness and experience to win the game by 2. Yes, I have mentioned nearly all of the qualities of the Cork team, to try and highlight the balance that JBM has brought this year, bonus territory will suit Cork. 1999 written all over this one.

GalwayBayBoy

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final Galway v Cork, Sun 12th August 2012

Galway team:

1. James Skehill
2. David Collins
3. Kevin Hynes
4. Fergal Moore
5. Niall Donoghue
6. Tony Og Regan
7. Johnny Coen
8. Iarlaith Tannian
9. Andy Smyth
10. David Burke
11. Niall Burke
12. Cyril Donnellan
13. Conor Cooney
14. Joe Canning
15. Damien Hayes

seafoid

Cork haven't won much underage and the galway hurlers have all won all irelands. The cork brand is a bit like aib. Great past and a good future but some issues at the moment.

thejuice

I'd be very disappointed if Galway didn't win tomorrow. They have underage medals as currency. Its time they stepped up. I don't they'll get a better chance than this year to take home Liam. I think its all about matching physicality at this stage that Galway lacked. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

eviemonkey

Fairly low-key build-up to this one in Cork. I think there is an element of hoping for the best but recognizing Galway look that bit stronger and more settled as a team than we are at the moment.

A bit disappointed Sweetnam is not picked. I would started him in midfield and moved Cronin to wing-forward. Coughlan could thrive in Croke Park but I might have held him in reserve to begin with.

I'd give another vote in the 'Galway should win' category. The headline in the Irish Times today kind of summed it up for me, 'Cork's best may not be enough' but I will say if the game is tight in the last ten minutes then Cork will have a real chance of nicking it.