Mayo V Down- All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by Sam2011, July 28, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 02, 2012, 01:20:20 AM
Quote from: galwaygreenandred on August 01, 2012, 10:34:14 PM
I have to agree with Lar Naparka,it'll really come down to when your sitting there in Croke Park or wherever and the ball is thrown up.....it'll come down to whoever has the hunger on the day and the drive and the determination,simple as whether it be Down or Mayo who march onto the semi final it'll be a game that both sides remember for a long time

First of all, welcome aboard; it's always nice to newcomers joining up, especially Mayo folks.
Yeah, you're right: It comes down to the size of the fight in the dog rather than the size of the dog in the fight.
I think moysider mistook what I was saying. James H has gone about building his side without fuss or bother and I can't see him doing a John O'Mahony at this stage and making wholesale changes in the hope that something clicks. Fans gasbagging about teams or individual players makes for good craic but it all comes down to those selected giving it all they've got and win. lose or draw, we can't ask for anything more.
TBH, I know most places are nailed down or at least  I hope so. Match-ups are fine too; they can be done, on the fly if necessary, without upsetting the overall balance of the team. But I do recall Pat Spillane saying that Mick O'Dwyer never bothered mentioning the opposition in any of his pre-match talks.  Micko wanted his players to concentrate on their own game plan and let the other side do whatever they wanted. Right now, we're not at the stage where we can forget about whoever we meet but we're getting there.
Roll on Saturday.... ..

Exactly. But Micko would also have selected and prepared  his teams with the opposition in mind. But no need to spook the whole team with the opposition.

Remember Jimmy Deenahan trying to wear Jimmy Barry Murphy s jersey in matches? Or even in 81 when Johnno Keeffe had Jimmy Burke s jersey wrapped in his fist? Micko would have done a lot of one on one with players I suspect. The team talk would have been team positive undoubtably - sure we cant question Pateens testimony ;D But he would have his homework done. The turnaround in the Dublin saga in 78 sugests that.

PAULD123

Anyone who thinks Micko didn't study and prepare for the opposition is naive. Spillane is either being a cute Kerryman with his comment or simply believes is own bullsht. Let's face it with Spillane either of those situations are equally feasible||

TyrionLannister

I have to agree with Lar Naparka,it'll really come down to when your sitting there in Croke Park or wherever and the ball is thrown up.....it'll come down to whoever has the hunger on the day and the drive and the determination,simple as whether it be Down or Mayo who march onto the semi final it'll be a game that both sides remember for a long time

First of all, welcome aboard; it's always nice to newcomers joining up, especially Mayo folks.
Yeah, you're right: It comes down to the size of the fight in the dog rather than the size of the dog in the fight.
I think moysider mistook what I was saying. James H has gone about building his side without fuss or bother and I can't see him doing a John O'Mahony at this stage and making wholesale changes in the hope that something clicks. Fans gasbagging about teams or individual players makes for good craic but it all comes down to those selected giving it all they've got and win. lose or draw, we can't ask for anything more.
TBH, I know most places are nailed down or at least  I hope so. Match-ups are fine too; they can be done, on the fly if necessary, without upsetting the overall balance of the team. But I do recall Pat Spillane saying that Mick O'Dwyer never bothered mentioning the opposition in any of his pre-match talks. 
Micko wanted his players to concentrate on their own game plan and let the other side do whatever they wanted. Right now, we're not at the stage where we can forget about whoever we meet but we're getting there.
Roll on Saturday......

In the real world, the hungrier team doesn't always win. Were Kerry hungrier than Mayo in 06, 04 and 97?
Were Meed Meath hungrier than Mayo in 96, were Cork all the hungrier in 89?

If hunger was all that was required, surely Mayo would have won at least one All-Ireland since 1951!
We are in a famine FFS.

People being on about hunger is loser-talk. You win if you are good enough.
If you prove good enough you are the best prepared, selected, and skilled to win the game. End of.

Farrandeelin

TyrionLannister knows what he is talking about(obviously). I'm not old enough to femember 89, but we were tactically inept for the other four finals TL mentioned.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: TyrionLannister on August 02, 2012, 09:20:42 AM

TBH, I know most places are nailed down or at least  I hope so. Match-ups are fine too; they can be done, on the fly if necessary, without upsetting the overall balance of the team. But I do recall Pat Spillane saying that Mick O'Dwyer never bothered mentioning the opposition in any of his pre-match talks. 
Micko wanted his players to concentrate on their own game plan and let the other side do whatever they wanted. Right now, we're not at the stage where we can forget about whoever we meet but we're getting there.
Roll on Saturday......

In the real world, the hungrier team doesn't always win. Were Kerry hungrier than Mayo in 06, 04 and 97?
Were Meed Meath hungrier than Mayo in 96, were Cork all the hungrier in 89?

If hunger was all that was required, surely Mayo would have won at least one All-Ireland since 1951!
We are in a famine FFS.

People being on about hunger is loser-talk. You win if you are good enough.
If you prove good enough you are the best prepared, selected, and skilled to win the game. End of.

I would have thought the Imp of the Lannisters the last man to underestimate heart.

It's trite to say that there's one single thing that the secret ingredient to success, whether that's heart or hunger or tactics or diets or conditioning or whatever. It's the combination, and how the different components react with each other.

Heart is on my mind because of something Ian Thorpe said a few days ago at the Olympics about swimming the last fifty metres: "Your brain starts refusing, telling your body to stop because it can't handle it. And that's when your heart takes over."

It reminded of something Seán Óg de Paor wrote in his autobiography, about having to be prepared to deal with the pain and physical exhaustion that hits you in big games. You think you'll be able to deal with it but, like everything else, there can be a difference between theory and practice. Don't underestimate heart.

Farrandeelin

Why are they keeping the team from being announced anyway? Sure if the players know what they're supposed to be doing, then out with it. That's my own opinion anyway.

Tubberman

No changes!!

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Kevin Keane - Westport
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
8. Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9. Danny Geraghty - Ballintubber
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
13. Enda Varley - Garrymore
14. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Captain)
15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RogerMilla

no changes from the connacht final. Aidan must not be fit enough to play the full 70

galwaygreenandred

Quote from: RogerMilla on August 02, 2012, 11:08:52 AM
no changes from the connacht final. Aidan must not be fit enough to play the full 70
Bringing him on at half time I'd say
"Lads,I'm not happy with our tackling.We're hurting them but they keep getting up"

Farrandeelin

Crete Boom

Quote from: Tubberman on August 02, 2012, 11:01:41 AM
No changes!!

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Kevin Keane - Westport
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
8. Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9. Danny Geraghty - Ballintubber
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
13. Enda Varley - Garrymore
14. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Captain)
15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Kinda what I was expecting and in fairness to Horan due to injuries and players only returning from injury the only spots really up for contention were the corner forwards battle between Varley/Freeman/Conroy/Doherty. I like Geraghty in the middle cause he's a bull of a man for his size and gets through a huge amount of the unseen donkey work required in the middle third. He also has greatly improved his use of possesion i.e moving it on quickly to the half forwards or the runners from deep. Personally I probably would have started Conroy in stead of Varley but apart from that and considering the constaints on the squad I'm happy enough with the rest of the team. I suppose an argument could be made for Walsh(for a man marking job) , McHale and Feeny in the backs but it would be a harsh call to leave out any of the starting six.
I'd be interested to see the bench but thinking about it we have some good options to change it up if Down are causing us serious problems e.g Aidan O' Shea/Seamus O' Shea for midfield/center forward , Feeny for halfback/corner back, McHale/Walsh for the full back line, Freeman for halforward/corner forward , Conroy for the full forward line and for something from leftfield Alan Murphy. I've only heard good things about him albeit I've haven't actually seen him in the flesh so wouldn't be sure of his ability at intercounty level. All in all if the management does there stuff we should be able to put Down under pressure even if plan A isn't working.

Any craic

Billy Joe Padden gives his take on Mayo and all of the QFs. Speaks very well, knows the game, a candidate for the Sunday Game? http://tinyurl.com/cpyf6sq

seanog

By jesus it's risky selection for Horan, he will get some flak if Varley nd Doc don't perform and we lose.

People are saying there is not 70 min in AOS yet and i'm not disputing that as such but it still has me baffled tbh, he came on vSligo (42 min,i think) looked leaner and meaner than ever, my opinion is this is knockout, no second chance better off starting O Se and establish a lead then take him off if need be or move him in closer to the square, it's no addition gettin beat in midfield , losing by 5 points and then introducing o se.

Not convinced at all overall this is the right selections, i would of chanced Freeman too up against a fairly light weight Don defence.

Lets just hope Horan knows what he's at and my armchair analysis are amateur.

galwaygreenandred

Quote from: seanog on August 02, 2012, 12:34:03 PM
By jesus it's risky selection for Horan, he will get some flak if Varley nd Doc don't perform and we lose.

People are saying there is not 70 min in AOS yet and i'm not disputing that as such but it still has me baffled tbh, he came on vSligo (42 min,i think) looked leaner and meaner than ever, my opinion is this is knockout, no second chance better off starting O Se and establish a lead then take him off if need be or move him in closer to the square, it's no addition gettin beat in midfield , losing by 5 points and then introducing o se.

Not convinced at all overall this is the right selections, i would of chanced Freeman too up against a fairly light weight Don defence.

Lets just hope Horan knows what he's at and my armchair analysis are amateur.
Well AOS would be better coming on for the last half hour than the last considering that is when we start hitting the scores
"Lads,I'm not happy with our tackling.We're hurting them but they keep getting up"

galwaygreenandred

Even saying that the last day the lads seemed to have been told to go for goal,when really the boys seemed to be mad to go for a point then stopping as if remembering that they were supposed to go for goal,do you agree?