hurling qualifier draw

Started by theticklemister, July 16, 2012, 08:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Reigning All-Ireland hurling champions Kilkenny have been paired with Limerick in this season's quarter-finals, after the draw was held on RTÉ's Morning Ireland.
The Cats suffered a shock defeat to Galway in the Leinster final and will be hoping to bounce back with victory over John Allen's men.
The draw also paired together Cork and Waterford. 
Waterford, who were beaten in Sunday's Munster final, will be wary of a Cork side who claimed a comprehensive victory over Wexford on Saturday.
The semi-final pairings have been pre-determined. The winners of Kilkenny and Limerick will face Tipperary, while Galway await either Cork or Waterford.

johnneycool

Quote from: theticklemister on July 16, 2012, 08:31:52 AM
Reigning All-Ireland hurling champions Kilkenny have been paired with Limerick in this season's quarter-finals, after the draw was held on RTÉ's Morning Ireland.
The Cats suffered a shock defeat to Galway in the Leinster final and will be hoping to bounce back with victory over John Allen's men.
The draw also paired together Cork and Waterford.
Waterford, who were beaten in Sunday's Munster final, will be wary of a Cork side who claimed a comprehensive victory over Wexford on Saturday.
The semi-final pairings have been pre-determined. The winners of Kilkenny and Limerick will face Tipperary, while Galway await either Cork or Waterford.

Its a strange one for Limerick, if they were to play Galway they'd fancy their chances, but now its Kilkenny will they mentally fear a backlash or try to hit Kilkenny early on with all they've got and being another big physical team go down the same route as Galway although IMO Galway have the better hurlers. Kilkenny will go out all guns blazing, hope to get up a big lead but if that doesn't work will a bit of self doubt set in? Not likely but IMO Limerick have nothing to lose and from now on in is a bonus for them.

Cork had too much for Wexford but are leaking away at the back. Waterford will be a different proposition and have better forwards to make hay in there. I fancy Waterford in this one.

seafoid

Limerick should give it a good rattle. Waterford are probably a bit beyond Cork. 

Lecale2

I'd expect Cork to take Waterford. I was impressed with Limerick on Saturday.

It's been a fine championship so far.

eviemonkey

I won't lie. I am happy to have avoided Kilkenny. They would have done a demolition job on a lightweight, inexperienced Cork team. Limerick are inexperienced as well but at least have a bit more physicality to do a Galway and get stuck into the Cats. Limerick will battle hard and can score goals but you can only see a Kilkenny win in that one I 'm afraid.

Cork and Waterford is always close. Waterford have had the upper hand now since 2006 and should be favourites. Cork will see it as a winnable game late in July and we would have settled for that at the start of the year.

Bord na Mona man

Limerick will get the Kilkenny backlash, but they actually might do ok.
They play nearly every game knowing they've to really push it to the edge of their abilities in order to be competitive. They'll stick to the task and hopefully won't get demoralised if Kilkenny build up a lead, but probably won't have enough hurling to really trouble the Cats.

It's the game after this one that we'll really see how well Kilkenny are going. The last time Kilkenny were unexpectedly beaten in Leinster (2004), they bounced back by murdering Galway in the qualifiers with a big blow out performance. Then they barely got a draw against Clare in the game after that.

Asal Mor

I think the 6/4 price for Waterford to beat Cork is generous. They have been the third best team around for the last few year and this young Cork side haven't done anything to justify favoritism. I'd say it will be close but I think Waterford should be 4/6.