Cavan v Kildare

Started by Dinny Breen, July 02, 2012, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearbrags

Seanie Johnston's much anticipated debut is in doubt due to shoulder injury sustained in training this week #kildare #cavan #gaa

Or  did he get injured playing hurling last week :)

rodney trotter

In fairness Jack Brady held down a place this year on star studded DCU team, he didn't look out of place either, bar the sigerson final where he was quiet. He is still eligable next year at u21, Niall McDermott will develop into a top forward, 22, but I think he could turn it on against a big name team like Kildare. Eugene Keating is a excellent full forward. Keating scored 5 points on Neil Mcgee who was an All Star last year, Keating is 23, and has a big future aswell.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 07, 2012, 09:11:43 PM
In fairness Jack Brady held down a place this year on star studded DCU team, he didn't look out of place either, bar the sigerson final where he was quiet. He is still eligable next year at u21, Niall McDermott will develop into a top forward, 22, but I think he could turn it on against a big name team like Kildare. Eugene Keating is a excellent full forward. Keating scored 5 points on Neil Mcgee who was an All Star last year, Keating is 23, and has a big future aswell.

Jack did very well against Fermanagh granted. Got 1 point in the opening minute when Donegal hadn't tightened at the back but he is hardly what you'd call a top class scoring forward, yet anyhow. Extremely useful forward nonetheless.

McDermott could go either way, big strong lad but not a natural clinical forward either. Poor in both U21 Finals in 2011 (not from lack of effort and put in a valiant performance in Croker despite being very well marked) can't see at this stage how you reckon he'll develop into a top class forward. Some    great touches but that's not enough.

Keating got 5 points off Neil McGee, Neil McGee is not a top class full back. He has massive massive cover which won him the all star. Keating is not nearly clinical enough for a top class full forward yet, 2 good goal chances missed against Fermanagh that could have had us on the front foot from word go. He was saluting the crowd after his 3rd point v Donegal. Big futures are earned and he will need to improve his finishing and his ambitions (see the manic celebrations after the goal against Fermanagh) to become anything close to a top class forward.

mylestheslasher

Fair points westside but couldn't we also make similar comments on the kildare players? Where are their superstars. I don't believe they have them. They are playing a midfielder at ff and thumping high balls at him and that doesn't seem to work. They are favourites but we shouldn't pay them too much respect just because the media hype them as contenders.

rodney trotter

I thought McDermott had a good game in the Ulster final 2011. What are they suppose to do, score 1-10 every game? Jack Brady played his first ever competive game for Cavan against Donegal. You said you didn't rate Kevin Tierney before the Donegal game, he was Cavans best forward in the u21 campaign this year. Get behind them and stop being so negative

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 08, 2012, 10:12:47 AM
I thought McDermott had a good game in the Ulster final 2011. What are they suppose to do, score 1-10 every game? Jack Brady played his first ever competive game for Cavan against Donegal. You said you didn't rate Kevin Tierney before the Donegal game, he was Cavans best forward in the u21 campaign this year. Get behind them and stop being so negative

Have to disagree about McDermott. I thought he didn't get a sniff in that final. He was excellent against Fermanagh and Wexford though.
I don't think I said I didn't rate Tierney, I didn't think he was as good as the hype around him was suggesting he was, he hadn't shown enough aggressiveness in the U21 to suggest that he could make an impact at senior. He surprised me against Donegal when he came on though so perhaps I was wrong about him.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm not running anyone down just discussing the merits of the players. I think Kildare will win comfortably and that people are overestimating the challenge we will bring but nothing would please me more than to be completely wrong. I'm 100% behind the team and Hyland.

rodney trotter

Kildare should win, average age of our team is 23.. They have Doyle, Early etc who are in their 30's alot more experience than our lads. They wil still feel they can win an all ireland this year. Kildare were raging hot favourites against Meath 1/3 - meath were 15/2. I expect a backlash from them next sunday. Just be interested in seeing how our forwards can do against top 6 county.

Its a pity the likes of Oisin Moynagh is out injured, and James McCenroe being in London. Two players who would have made a difference in our defence this year.

mylestheslasher

What odds were galway to beat kilkenny today?

Westside

Galway were 5/1.

Cavan were beaten in a challenge game against Leitrim yesterday. 1-13 to 12 points.

rodney trotter

Try and be positive about Cavan most of the time, but jesus losing to Leitrim a week before playing Kildare isn't great :o

mylestheslasher

Wouldn't pay much heed to challenge games, in fact if i was manager i wouldn't even be playing them the week before a championship game. Waste of time.

Westside

Leitrim are extremely poor and a loss to them even in a challenge is a slight worry. Then again we have no idea what kind of team Cavan had out, it could have been the Junior side. Both camps are remaining very quiet before next weekend's game.

packiedevlin

Cavan played a reserve team in the first half and were very poor, if the management were looking for anyone that might push for the starting lineup next Sunday then they were disappointed. The only one that stood out was Declan McKiernan. Cullivan was decent enough when he swapped with McKiernan from midfield to half forward. Cavan changed around 12 players at half time and were much better in the second half with Gearoid kicking a couple of huge points, won the half by a couple of points. Emlyn Mulligan at centre half forward ran riot in the first half against Barkey. Huge improvement will be needed next weekend if we are to come close!

mylestheslasher

Cavan 9/2, kildare 1/5 on paddypower.
no handicap bets on there yet.

ck

9/2 a good bet now that Kildares best known forward is out with injury?! :-p