Wexford GAA players banned for racist abuse.

Started by Gazzler, June 20, 2012, 09:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazzler

Players' group backs ban for pair over racist abuse of GAA Player

THE Gaelic Players' Association (GPA) has backed the Wexford County Board's decision to hand two-month bans to two footballers who were found guilty of racist abuse in a senior club game.
The Duffry Rovers duo were found to have made comments to inter-county footballer Lee Chin, who was playing against them for Wexford town club Sarsfields. The incident was mentioned in referee Brendan Martin's report and the county board launched an investigation on receipt of that report.
It is understood Mr Martin was specific in his report as to the racist remarks made by a player from the club, along with a substitute.
Both clubs participated in the county's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) inquiry which found the two players guilty. Both received two-month bans, but were not named and Duffry Rovers were not fined after co-operating in the investigation.
"Racism is a problem that, if allowed to go unchecked, is a huge threat, and the GAA have made huge strides to promote integration," a GPA spokesman told the Irish Independent yesterday.
"If incidents like this are even perceived to be taken lightly then it is a huge threat to the reputation of the game. So I would commend the board for taking action swiftly.
"It is something we need to be vigilant about, but it is not something that comes to us regularly. Quite often it is about education, awareness and people taking responsibility for their actions. "It is not something that would have come on our radar in the inter-county game, but there have been incidents in the club game," he said.
Lee Chin has played minor hurling and football for Wexford, and progressed to the U-21 set-up in both codes this year.
One of the leading dual players in the county, he was left half-back on the Wexford senior football team which defeated Longford in a replay and, but for his heavy commitments, would also be a part of Liam Dunne's senior hurling set-up.
Wexford county chairman Diarmuid Devereux condemned the incident. "Lee Chin is a Wexford man, born in Wexford, living in Wexford, educated in Wexford and working in Wexford. He is one of our stars of the future. Hopefully, many more will follow his example," he said.
"Racism is something that will not be tolerated within Wexford GAA. That was also reflected in the way both clubs dealt with the matter.
"Both clubs accepted that kind of behaviour cannot, and will not, be accepted in Wexford GAA.
"The CCCC have dealt with the matter fairly and showed that racism will not be tolerated. In the years to come, the GAA is going to be more ethnically diverse so it's important to send out a clear message we'll not accept such racist abuse."

AZOffaly

squire_in_navy_slacks

Absolutely well done wexford county board........................................................................young jayo suffered this nonsense for years too...............................ignorant oafs

heffo

Well done. Hopefully this sends a clear message out.

Jinxy

We need to come down hard on this type of ignorance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

CC1

Good. This needs to be nipped in the bud now with more and more young players of different ethnicities coming into senior teams. We cannot lose their talents to ignorant idiots like this pair. I hope their club let them know just how much they have let them down in this as well.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

AZOffaly

I train our under 6s in Newport, and we have a young lad from a Chinese background as well. I'd hate to think that anyone would say a word to him, and I'd also hate his father to think that it would be tolerated in the GAA.

Hardy

Well done indeed. But what is the relevance of the following guff?

"Lee Chin is a Wexford man, born in Wexford, living in Wexford, educated in Wexford and working in Wexford ..."

This seems to achieve the difficult feat of missing your own point.

Shamrock Shore

Those feckers should get longer than 2 months. And why aren't they named and shamed?

heffo

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 20, 2012, 10:30:11 AM
why aren't they named and shamed?

I would imagine they will be named in the CCC minutes circulated to the club Secretaries in Wexford.

Harold Disgracey

Well done Wexford.

As mentioned in the OP the GAA is indeed becoming more ethnically diverse, which can only be welcomed, and hopefully this type of abuse will die out.

I have heard that some of the underage players at my own club have suffered racial abuse during matches, thankfully this is relatively rare.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well done indeed Wexford, let's hope the message resonates throughout.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dinny Breen

I think Brendan Martin should be commended as well for doing the right thing, sends out all the right messages although I would have banned them for longer.
#newbridgeornowhere

rrhf

I think the heart is in the right place and the intentions are right although that statement is perhaps articulately over passionately  Hardy.  My feeling is well done, and lets keep rooting this crap out.
As for the GPA they havent gone away you know.  I wonder what do they do all day in that big office?   

magpie seanie

If that was my club that those lads were playing for I'd be mortified. Good to see they've been punished.