USFC: Fermanagh v Down: Brewster Park: 3/6/12

Started by DownFanatic, May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

well if thats the case then he shouldnt have gotten near the field today.
Canavan covering for him is a bit questionable too.
is he a student or does he work or what..surely those close to him around him would have kept him right the week of a massive game..

Nally Stand

Quote from: babarino on June 03, 2012, 10:42:41 PM
Poor game ruined by the unfair sending off, not to mention clear pick up for the 2nd goal. Down are the better team and any hopes of Fermanagh doing a job on them were gone without a powerful target man up front and down to 14 men.

Down should be good enough to progress to progress to the final, but not if Monaghan get the breaks from the 'officials' that were given today.

I was supporting Fermanagh today, but I must ask....what makes a clear example of striking off the ball an 'unfair sending off?'?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

nrico2006

The tackle on Keenan deserved a red as did the punch on McGrath.  Don't understand this talk about Down only being in second gear, what performances are people comparing it to that showed they had many more 'gears' to go up through?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

snoopdog

That was a very poor game. Down always looked like winning but Brannigan should have got the line and he prob wont be available for selection against monaghan. He will get a suspension for that. Our inability to shot from distance was worrying yesterday always had to do a lot to get a score especially in first half. McCommiskey Coulter and both Clarkes badly missed.
Laverty did pick the ball off the floor for 2nd goal. Does anyone know why ref gave a free in for the challenge where McVeigh went for the ball and won it and got injured.?  McVeigh was clearly injured after that but yet McCartan left him on the pitch.
I also thought with an extra man Down should have been using a short kick out.
Im not so sure about Down being in second gear yesterday. Will see how we go against Monaghan.
I assume that semi will be in Casement?

Main Street

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 04, 2012, 02:14:18 AM

I was supporting Fermanagh today, but I must ask....what makes a clear example of striking off the ball an 'unfair sending off?'?
In context of all what happened in the game up until that point, it was unfair. Keenan himself  had just been thoroughly flattened off the ball by a player passing by, he got up and stupidly threw some sort of a punch while passing by another player, who went down roaring in agony, did he clutch his face when falling?
It was a hard game to watch. Down won't mind that they got though it without being seriously stretched.

supersarsfields

Was dragged up to this by the Missus despite protesting about delayed coverage and the possibility of a round of golf. And to be fair it was poor showing by both teams and the officials.
And to be honest i was disappointed with Canavan today. I know he has limited options and was restricted even further after the sending of, but leaving Corrigan up front as a ball winner was never going to work and I was surprised he ran with that for so long. Also very disappointed in himbringing Quigley on if the rumours are true. I wasn't chatting in Fermanagh man yesterday who wanted him involved. And considering his ability that's saying something.
Have to say the atmosphere in Brewster was terrible. The loudest cheer I heard from Fermanagh ones all day was when they lifted a 20 year old digger out of a bog!!

snoopdog

you would think athletic grounds. but when was a semi last played out of casement or clones?

Lecale2

Athletic Grounds aren't big enough. Casement I reckon.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 04, 2012, 08:50:17 AM
Not only was the referee poor but experienced linesmen were poor.  The strike on McGrath was clear to be seen but was ignored and the hammering on young Corrigan on the sideline was incredible, not in that it happened but that officials stood back and ignored several fouls.  I'm sure Canavan couldn't believe his eyes, what happened to getting a free when you get tapped on the shoulder or when you simply fell down or threw yourself to the ground?

The fall for the free that led to the fermanagh goal was a Pete the great special, Im sure he was very proud.

whitegoodman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 04, 2012, 08:52:29 AM
The tackle on Keenan deserved a red as did the punch on McGrath.  Don't understand this talk about Down only being in second gear, what performances are people comparing it to that showed they had many more 'gears' to go up through?

Jes if the tackle on Keenan was a sending off the game is getting softer and softer by the day.  It was a late shoulder, was a free kick, possible yellow card at most but to say it was  sending off is rediculous.  The type of tackle that happens 5 or 6 times in most matches and Id say that type of tackle will hit double figures next sunday and there wont be many complaints and rightly so.

whitegoodman

Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2012, 10:54:39 AM
Quote from: whitegoodman on June 04, 2012, 10:51:39 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 04, 2012, 08:52:29 AM

Jes if the tackle on Keenan was a sending off the game is getting softer and softer by the day.  It was a late shoulder, was a free kick, possible yellow card at most but to say it was  sending off is rediculous.  The type of tackle that happens 5 or 6 times in most matches and Id say that type of tackle will hit double figures next sunday and there wont be many complaints and rightly so.
Never a sending off for the late shoulder. Ref should have dealt with it though.

Agreed, a free kick at the time would have prevented Keenan's retaliation but still doesnt excuse it.  As feeble as the punch probably was,  it was  sending off.

snoopdog

athletic grounds holds nearly 20,000 big enough for Down v Monaghan. there wont be more than 17,000 at it id say. better a packed small venue than a half empty big one

The Worker

Did everyone get a ticket stub yesterday at the turnstile? Out of 3 of us, only 1 ticket stub was given.

omagh_gael

Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2012, 10:48:27 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 04, 2012, 10:37:57 AM
you would think athletic grounds. but when was a semi last played out of casement or clones?
Couple of years ago?

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 04, 2012, 10:45:51 AM
Athletic Grounds aren't big enough. Casement I reckon.
What does it hold?

Was it Derry v Fermanagh in Omagh? Fermanagh won and played Armagh in the final?

Lecale2

Breffni Park is a lot larger than the Athletic Grounds. If they fix the semi final for the Armagh venue it will have to be all ticket.

I still reckon they'll bring it to Casement and get a 20,000+ crowd if it's a good day.