USFC: Fermanagh v Down: Brewster Park: 3/6/12

Started by DownFanatic, May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: FermGael on June 03, 2012, 08:58:58 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 03, 2012, 08:47:10 PM
can someone actually shed some light as to why Quigley didnt start or what the deal is with him, whats the hullaballoo about. Also why didnt McCabe start?
McCabe picked up a bug and was not well.
As for Quigley its a disgrace he even came on.

What did he do?

Sheedy

pretty poor game today. down won in 2nd gear and i was a bit disappointed we didnt push on in the 2nd half and kill the game off. the sending off ruined any chance fermanagh had. big improvement needed for the next day but that run out will have helped alot of the players and hopefully dan gordan will be back.

best for down i thought were laverty.darren o'hagan.aiden branningan and benny mcardle. donal o'hare done well in the 1st half but faded in the 2nd. need more scores from the forwards the next day.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Look for anyone that was at the game it was an awful spectacle. That was as bad as I seen when it comes to defensive formation from fermanagh. £20 into an uncovered, wooden seated stand to watch that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

The facts were Keenan deserved to go, brannigan the same, the McCartan and Garvey incidents weren't even close to sendings off. Lavertys goal shouldnt have counted but it was noticeable that down were in 2nd gear for the majority of that game, never in danger and always looked like they could up it if they needed to. U can say what u want bout the sending off but down were the better team with better players by a distance.

Monaghan will be tougher but until freeman came on the also struggled against a poor Antrim team.  As for neither Monaghan or down troubling donegal, Tyrone or Armagh, let's see what is produced next wk as I wasn't overly impressed with donegal against Cavan. This ulster championship is anyone's.....

saffron sam2

Keenan's was a sending-off every day of the week.

As was Brannigan's.

Disgraceful performance from Syl Doyle and his team.

Shocking but not surprising.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Onlooker

Disappointed with both sides, but hope that Down can improve.  Benny Coulter is obviously a huge loss, but they appear to have gone back a long way since 2010.   Down were never in any real danger of losing, but the referee really rode Fermanagh on a number of incidents.  He looks to be another one of those referees who gives the benefit of any doubt to the "big guns" and screws the "weaker counties".  Far too many of those kind of referees around these days.  I was not at all impressed with the way that Peter Canavan had Fermanagh set up.  Was I imagining it or did he say that Seamus Quigley had a hamstring injury and that was the reason he did not start.  A lot of posters seem to believe (know) that this was not the case.  Why did Canavan feel it necessary to put such a spin on the selection.   Not a good day at the office for Peter.  I agree 100% with Saffron Sam's post.

OdoSkimodo

Quote from: hardstation on June 03, 2012, 09:55:07 PM
Think you're being a bit harsh on Tomas Corrigan. He didn't have a great game (who did?) but he was bucking his own goat in that forward line for a long time. Ref gave him little too.

Fair enough. May be I am being a bit harsh on the individual. However, he was really ineffective and the management should have reacted, either via substitution or rejigging

whitegoodman

Just watched it in Sunday game, for all the decisions that where against fermanagh (2), the free kick for their goal looked very generous but forget bout that cause all the decisiins go for the big teams, whoever they may be  ::)

Mourne Rover

It was a strange game, which lacked any real atmosphere and seemed to be overshadowed by the Quigley issue. Canavan did not handle it well, and the indications were that Fermanagh's morale suffered as a result. The only real option was to tell Quigley he would not be involved, but get a chance in the next game if he displayed the same commitment as the rest of the panel.

The early red card was always going to be crucial, but Keenan, who had been fouled, took revenge on the wrong player through a sly dig and could have few complaints. Branagan deserved to walk as well, although his punch was at least in the general vicinity of the ball.

There was a suspicion of handball about both of our goals, although we always seemed to have another gear when it mattered. Fermanagh's goal was quick thinking from them, and dreadful defending from us, but it was never a free in the first place.

Our management had a decent day, but they will know that Monaghan will be a very different proposition and we could be doing with Doyle back for his frees alone.

McVeigh varied his kick-outs generally well, and made a brave save at an important time. Our entire full back line scored from play, which must be a first, and McCartan's experience and O'Hagan's flair served us well. McArdle was excellent throughout, and never gave Quigley a sniff when he finally appeared.

All the space at the back suited McKernan, and Garvey as ever looked the part. Branagan, apart from the mad moment which may led to a retrospective suspension, was very effective, although he should have had a goal in the first half.

Ambrose displayed leadership and discipline, even when he was repeatedly targeted, and kicked one outstanding point. Kallum went about his work with total professionalism, kicked his first championship point and was just about man of the match.

The half forward line was a concern, and Brewster Park, where he was sent off three years ago, is not Carr's lucky ground. He lacked confidence after missing an early free and kept getting caught in possession. He did get an assist for our first goal, but he seemed to be blamed for the Fermanagh one and got replaced almost immediately. Poland put in a huge effort with little end product, apart from the pass for Laverty's goal.

Hughes and Maginn both did well, and were happy to cover our half backs when they pushed up. O'Hare had a great start, and has plenty of potential even if he faded after the break.  Laverty, as we know, is simply a special talent.

The subs did not have much to do, although Duffin hit a fine score and it was good to see Rooney getting back in the frame. All in all, a satisfactory if more than slightly unusual day.

The Worker

Some femanagh fans around me weren't best pleased when big seamus came on.

Disappointed with the way god had set up his team, expected a scalp in brewster today.

whitegoodman

Quote from: hardstation on June 03, 2012, 10:16:10 PM
Would like to have seen the Garvey one again. Ball at Corrigan's feet and he gets two digs in the midrift. Keenan only hit Laverty one.

Have another look at it, if ya think it was a sending off ur saft!!!

babarino

Poor game ruined by the unfair sending off, not to mention clear pick up for the 2nd goal. Down are the better team and any hopes of Fermanagh doing a job on them were gone without a powerful target man up front and down to 14 men.

Down should be good enough to progress to progress to the final, but not if Monaghan get the breaks from the 'officials' that were given today.

whitegoodman

MR I would agree with most of what u said but I thought Hughes was quiet and maginn was poor. As hard as he works maginn gets knocked off the ball far too easy and offers little threat. Don't think u can affor him, Poland and Carr in the one forward line.

Mcardle and ohagans performances were very encouraging and gordon and rooney back would help the defence as well.  Midfield as long as they stay fit should put it up to most especially in ulster but although we could have enough to beat monaghan without coulter, after that would be a struggle.

Babarino I can understand the frustration of brannigan not getting sent off but keenans was a red card, I can't see how anyone can question that one.

Orangemac

Down undoubtedly got the breaks in terms of reffing decisions today but they probably would have came through this game anyway.

Loss of McCluskey and the whole Quigley debacle had unsettled Fermanagh. Test of Canavans management what to do with Quigley, best forward Fermanagh have but is he more trouble than he's worth. 6 months getting a team ready for a championship game and then he decides to start messing around the week beforehand. Would Mickey have had a man on the panel showing the same lack of commitment.

If Down don't improve on today Monaghan will give them their fill of it the next day.

Brick Tamlin

so is anyone gonna actually explain what quigley did that was so bad or at least hint at it

oakleafgael

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 03, 2012, 11:01:24 PM
so is anyone gonna actually explain what quigley did that was so bad or at least hint at it

He went on the rip for a week.