USFC: Fermanagh v Down: Brewster Park: 3/6/12

Started by DownFanatic, May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: haranguerer on June 06, 2012, 01:44:25 PM
You're talking shite on almost all of the above. The fact is, it was 15 v 14 - how can you say Down were always better and going to be better? fermanagh came out worse in all the refs decisions, thats rubbish re laverty, and BOTH down goals were touched on the ground, not just the second one. McArdle was playing basketball down the line at one stage, which resulted in a point, mcgrath got booked for somethgin rogers had done to him earlier without even a free, etc etc. Fermanagh were hard done by.

And another thing, the ball wasnt put near quigley in the 15 min he was on, so I dont know how youd be impressed with mcardles performance on him!!

So is that true? You disagree with me that Laverty lifted the ball? Corrigan several times was fouled without frees being given? Brannigan deserved red? The referee was bad? Which of these do you disagree with????

Oh yes I see in your one-sided biased world where you think Fermanagh lads should be exonerated for punching by-standing players I see where you say "almost all the above" is shite. yes it's anything that even slightly criticises a man in green. And of course impossible to believe for a second that Down may have got even one solitary single bad decision given against them.

Incidentally on McCardle you are right how dare he leave his full back position to help our attack? My god a fullback scoring points against Fermanagh, deary me, the cheek of the man!! The ball was put into Quigley three times in ten minutes McCardle out-fielded him twice and put him over the sideline the other time for a Down line-ball.

Onlooker

In fairness to Quigley, he was suffering from a hamstring injury.  That was why he did not start, according to Canavan. :) :) :)

AZOffaly

I took a gander at this game last night, and I didn't think it was as bad as made out to be. Syl had an absolute stinker, that commentator shouldn't be allowed near a microphone, or else he had money on Fermanagh.

Keenan had to go, but so should the Down lad that hit McGrath.

McGrath was trying to wind up/annoy Rogers all day, and it backfired when he got booked and taken off.

I thought Down's backs looked very good going forward, and that's going to be important against some of the teams ahead. The accurate scoring defender may be another option in a bid to break down the deep lying defenses.

Finally though, I thought the conditioning of quite a few of the players was a bit off? Maybe it was the jersies, but a few of them looked to have wintered very well, especially in the Fermanagh side.
Oh yeah, and that lad Quigley that came on, what was he like with a jersey about 2 sizes too small, a green body warmer, and fecking white ankle socks. My wife said he looked like he came out of the pub to play because they were stuck, and it was hard to disagree with her.

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2012, 05:04:18 PM
I took a gander at this game last night, and I didn't think it was as bad as made out to be. Syl had an absolute stinker, that commentator shouldn't be allowed near a microphone, or else he had money on Fermanagh.

Keenan had to go, but so should the Down lad that hit McGrath.

McGrath was trying to wind up/annoy Rogers all day, and it backfired when he got booked and taken off.

I thought Down's backs looked very good going forward, and that's going to be important against some of the teams ahead. The accurate scoring defender may be another option in a bid to break down the deep lying defenses.

Finally though, I thought the conditioning of quite a few of the players was a bit off? Maybe it was the jersies, but a few of them looked to have wintered very well, especially in the Fermanagh side.
Oh yeah, and that lad Quigley that came on, what was he like with a jersey about 2 sizes too small, a green body warmer, and fecking white ankle socks. My wife said he looked like he came out of the pub to play because they were stuck, and it was hard to disagree with her.

Quite!

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's a grossly unfair analysis AZ, he left at least an hour beforehand (by all accounts)!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 06, 2012, 01:41:26 PM
Typical form from Laverty on Sunday, we will probably see something similar before the summer is out from him.
I'm sure you will. A typical classy individual performance from the Kilcoo man. And the form he is in he will likely reproduce more good displays this summer.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 06, 2012, 06:30:21 PM

That's a grossly unfair analysis AZ, he left at least an hour beforehand (by all accounts)!  ;)

Ah, there's obviously a 'back story' there that I'm not aware of, but I wasn't referring to any misdemeanours he might have had :D

CitySlicker11

MDG, you chose your interpretation of my words nicely there and replied to suit yourself and your fellow club mate, lucky he still is one I hear? But anyway, didn't agree with the dive he took, should be ashamed, not a thing anyone likes to see creeping into the GAA, keep that for Poland and Ukraine

southdown

Say what you like about Laverty, he had a blinder and Im glad he's on our side and not against us. 

CornerBackNo2

Anyone know when Keenan and possibly Brannigan have their hearing to decide/confirm their suspension?

PAULD123

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 07, 2012, 02:16:06 AM
MDG, you chose your interpretation of my words nicely there and replied to suit yourself and your fellow club mate, lucky he still is one I hear? But anyway, didn't agree with the dive he took, should be ashamed, not a thing anyone likes to see creeping into the GAA, keep that for Poland and Ukraine

It was not a dive. A dive is when you are not struck. Laverty was struck - that is not a dive.

Who are you to say how much it hurt, it wasn't you that was hit?

Funny do you know something I don't like to see in the game? That would be a player walking up to another player and laying a punch into him with no provocation at all. Funny I think that's something you should be more interested in getting out of the game. Only one player should be ashamed - the assailant, Keenan.

AZOffaly

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 07, 2012, 01:49:48 PM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 07, 2012, 02:16:06 AM

It was not a dive. A dive is when you are not struck. Laverty was struck - that is not a dive.

Who are you to say how much it hurt, it wasn't you that was hit?

Funny do you know something I don't like to see in the game? That would be a player walking up to another player and laying a punch into him with no provocation at all. Funny I think that's something you should be more interested in getting out of the game. Only one player should be ashamed - the assailant, Keenan.

I'm not sure of the incident, but pretending to be struck is not the lone characteristic of a dive. I consider anyone that goes down when they don't need to as diving. Aidan O'Mahoney dived against Cork that time; and countless other examples exist where contact has clearly been made, but there is no need for the person to go to ground, let alone hold their face as appears to be the default reaction.

That Fermanagh corner forward also dived in the first couple of minutes.

As I said, anyone who intentionally falls to the ground to gain an advantage is diving, regardless of whether contact is made or not. Sure boxers who 'take a dive' always do so after a punch is taken.

AZOffaly

Sorry, I just realised you're on about the Keenan incident, and you are right. Only Laverty knows whether he dived or not, but he was certainly struck. Whether he was struck hard enough to knock him down is up to Laverty and I don't think you could really tell, but anyone who has taken a punch to the solar plexus or stomach like that when they are not expecting it will know it can wind you alright.

Main Street

In a game where adrenalin is running like a flood, it would be hard to even notice a sly dig.
By standards of simulation, Laverty's effort would rate an 8/10.

That Fermanagh corner forward, was he not caught with an elbow?

BarryBreensBandage

For a game that was supposed to be muck, there seems to be an awful lot of interest in it.
Reading some of these posts makes me laugh - substitute Down for your own team, look at the incidents and see of how little importance they are. Down turned up to win, Fermanagh didn't, sin e.
As for Brannigans 'punch' - have a look at it in real time instead of slo-mo. McGrath's head doesn't even move backwards. There is no resultant force backwards from Brannigan's action. The reason why big honest Marty didn't collapse in a heap is because he hardly felt it!
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".