ni.com 2012

Started by lawnseed, March 11, 2012, 10:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

i happened to see these very jazzy tv adds aimed at attracting tourists to 'norn iron'. yup i'd certainly like to visit ni.com 2012 because the weathers practically tropical and theres the golf, rory and darren and all the concerts.. those sunsets.. jeez do i live in this fantastic place? no mention of gaelic games anywhere though so i wont bother. a oversight perhaps??
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on March 11, 2012, 10:35:16 PM
i happened to see these very jazzy tv adds aimed at attracting tourists to 'norn iron'. yup i'd certainly like to visit ni.com 2012 because the weathers practically tropical and theres the golf, rory and darren and all the concerts.. those sunsets.. jeez do i live in this fantastic place? no mention of gaelic games anywhere though so i wont bother. a oversight perhaps??
I think it's a very good advert - it shows the place in a very positive light and is well filmed and edited, and soundtracked by a great Derry band. But yes, there probably was room in there for more sport than golf, although it is seen as a big market for potential high-spending tourists. And I wouldn't worry about the weather - i've visited plenty of countries where the weather is crap, but where there are plenty of other attractions. I'd love to visit the likes of Iceland/Sweden/Norway/Finland and Russia at some time, but I wouldn't be heading for tropical weather.

A lot of people are negative/cynical about what the place they're from has to offer, but I think there's plenty here to appeal to tourists and Belfast and Derry punch well above their weight as cities in this regard.

trileacman

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 11, 2012, 11:17:01 PM
I think it's a very good advert - it shows the place in a very positive light and is well filmed and edited, and soundtracked by a great Derry band. But yes, there probably was room in there for more sport than golf, although it is seen as a big market for potential high-spending tourists. And I wouldn't worry about the weather - i've visited plenty of countries where the weather is crap, but where there are plenty of other attractions. I'd love to visit the likes of Iceland/Sweden/Norway/Finland and Russia at some time, but I wouldn't be heading for tropical weather.

A lot of people are negative/cynical about what the place they're from has to offer, but I think there's plenty here to appeal to tourists and Belfast and Derry punch well above their weight as cities in this regard.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
This might be true but it made me laugh!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Forever Green

lawnseed

i think a little snipet of some of the biggest sport on the island is appropriate as i think the belfast gaints are there. theres no reason why a tourist wouldnt enjoy a championship match in the summer or even a club match   

Orior

I'd like to see more Spanish tourism adverts that have interviews with the actual pickpockets from Barcelona.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on March 11, 2012, 11:28:43 PM

i think a little snipet of some of the biggest sport on the island is appropriate as i think the belfast gaints are there. theres no reason why a tourist wouldnt enjoy a championship match in the summer or even a club match
I'd agree. I think it would be great if they had showed some GAA, and I don't doubt that a clip from Ravenhill on a Friday night could be a good addition as well. But I wouldn't pan the whole advert for this om mission.

Maguire01

Quote from: trileacman on March 11, 2012, 11:23:04 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
This might be true but it made me laugh!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Why? Think of the number of high profile events and attractions these cities get compared to similar sized towns and cities in GB, France, Germany etc.

dillinger

fitzroyalty

I'm assuming this is aimed with the Olympics in mind, but I really hate NI being marketed as a separate destination as opposed to just Ireland. Surely be more productive if the two tourist boards merged as one. Grinds my gears. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 11, 2012, 11:52:09 PM
I'm assuming this is aimed with the Olympics in mind, but I really hate NI being marketed as a separate destination as opposed to just Ireland. Surely be more productive if the two tourist boards merged as one. Grinds my gears.
NITB would be upset with that.

Maguire01

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 11, 2012, 11:52:09 PM
'Discover Ireland' does this. I suppose they will still use some opportunities to promote regions individually. With the golf and the Titanic, there's a big push for NI for 2012. No doubt the whole country will benefit if it's successful.

lawnseed

jeez we dont want the poor tourists ending up south of the border and gettin fleeced... running for cover for stating the obvious ;)

thejuice

I find it odd to use concerts as a selling point considering most major tours that hit Belfast usually hit Dublin, Birmingham, Sheffield, Glasgow, and just about every other midsized city in this part of Europe. Is the craic to be had just much better?

Or is it the local scene they are promoting? I might be missing something but I don't think there is a Belfast equivalent of going to see some Johan Straus in Vienna or some Venetian Opera in Venice. Is it Van Morrison, Paul Brady or Seamus Moore?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016