All-Ireland Club Football Final - Crossmaglen v Garrycastle

Started by BennyCake, March 02, 2012, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Brilliant game, really enjoyed it. Haven't had the chance to watch it back but from my seat in the corner of the Hogan I thought the ref rode Cross though reading back the posts BCB1's take on it is probably correct. The consistency is the problem. If you let "anything goes" tackling happen it has to be for the full game and to be honest that's the way it should be. Use it or lose it, don't be giving frees/cards for pathetic incidents with little contact followed by a dive.

One incident Croi mentioned there - Jamie Clarke floating by the assorted defenders leading to the second booking - will stay with me forever. I just don't know how he kept control of the ball at that sprred under that pressure. You'd watch games at times and think "at my very best I could maybe do that" but there is absolutely no way I could ever manage what he did. Pure genius.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2012, 11:55:25 AM
One incident Croi mentioned there - Jamie Clarke floating by the assorted defenders leading to the second booking - will stay with me forever. I just don't know how he kept control of the ball at that sprred under that pressure. You'd watch games at times and think "at my very best I could maybe do that" but there is absolutely no way I could ever manage what he did. Pure genius.

don't be so hard on yourself Seanie, I'd say you might give it a go, just be careful though that you don't hurt the u12s when you're doing it ;D  Jamie had a good first half in terms of scores but in the second half he was just not getting his ranger.  For anyone too that would say that he didn't play as well as he can, 8 of Cross scores came directly from him either taking the score, winning the free of giving the last pass.  Not bad.

magpie seanie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 20, 2012, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2012, 11:55:25 AM

don't be so hard on yourself Seanie, I'd say you might give it a go, just be careful though that you don't hurt the u12s when you're doing it ;D  Jamie had a good first half in terms of scores but in the second half he was just not getting his ranger.  For anyone too that would say that he didn't play as well as he can, 8 of Cross scores came directly from him either taking the score, winning the free of giving the last pass.  Not bad.

Yeah, he's a special talent. He can be behind his man and still win the ball when it's kicked in which is great comfort for the lads out the field. He didn't convert a couple of chances he'd normally bury but he had a pretty good game.

brokencrossbar1

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross4life

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 20, 2012, 02:27:26 PM
Replay 31st March 5pm in Breffni Park
Ulster team v Leinster team & it's played in Ulster will the GAA also select a Ulster ref  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DuffleKing

crossfire

Quote from: Winnie Peg on March 19, 2012, 09:58:59 PM
They have a set of rules in Crossmaglen that is different to what all other clubs have to adhere, ie, they can do what they like and are immune from any sanctions as where other teams are guilty if they look angry at one of their players. Their diving is almost as bad as Tyrone. There were no complaints last year when Kevin Nolan got sent of in the wrong for hanratty diving, his two yellows werent even frees and cost Kilmacud the game. how many times has Tony kernan dived and got players sent off ? Did you see him stamping on the Garrycastle players hand when he was on the ground. They usually get a player sent off each game for diving. Stephen kernan struck, he got sent off, do the crime do the time.

Showing your anti Cross bias again.

You are a real jealous hoor

emmetryan

I'm a little surprised by the venue. I figured they'd be back to HQ. I know it won't be expected to draw a big crowd but the prestige factor meant I thought they'd do it in Croker again.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Captain Obvious

2007 All Ireland final replay between Crossmaglen and Dr Crokes was played in Portlaoise.

orangeman

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2012, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: T Toatler on March 19, 2012, 06:40:37 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2012, 12:08:28 PM
Quote from: get up there on March 18, 2012, 08:25:21 PM
Quote from: Gazza M on March 18, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
A great game of football and a great advert for club football. I thought the ref probably should have awarded Cross a couple of frees at the end  but otherwise added to the occasion by letting the game flow. On the negative side, a shocking piece of play acting by the Cross player to try and get the GC player sent off. The GC player was crazy though and a different ref might have bought it.
you cant defend what the gc player done, should have seen red, there was thousands of kids watching ffs, I'm sure the ref is embarrassed today at his display in that final
I would concur with what Gazza M wrote. I only watched the highlights so I have no opinion on the ref's overall performance but in the instance of the 'head but', the ref dealt with it very sensibly. Also I thought Cross had a fair shout for a penalty in that last goalmouth scramble when Clarke hit the post, the ball was surely handled on the ground by a Garrycastle defender. The sight of an umpire staring blankly at what transpires around the goalmouth is truly bizarre.

I find it natural to want a contest in a club final and naturally wanted Cross to have a rally, but was equally pleased that Garrycastle survived.

But the umpire has no function in "calling" technical fouls such as handling the ball on the ground.
I know, but  that doesn't make it any less bizarre. I'd say empower the umpire with a few extra responsibilities, namely spotting the square ball and obvious fouls in the penalty area. Either do that or have a ref in each half.
Nice idea in theory, but the umpires can't handle the responsibilities they already have.

mountainboii

Shortso79

Quote from: AFS on March 25, 2012, 06:40:08 PM
Any word on free entry for Season Ticket holders?

No word as yet - hopefully the replay will be included

have got great value out of the season ticket this year

The Real Gael

Quote from: AFS on March 25, 2012, 06:40:08 PM
Any word on free entry for Season Ticket holders?

There is nothing free in the GAA  ;)