New Phone and Broadband Question

Started by AbbeySider, February 10, 2012, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

This is the scenario:

I moved into an apartment and want to get in broadband but the only way that this is possible is to get in a fixed line broadband service as the area is not covered by cable/UPC.

Its a fairly new apartment and seems wired for a phoneline as all the sockets are there and there is wires behind them connected up, but the main socket is disconnected (but the blue and blue-white wires are crimped) so I presume that that last occupants had a phone line. 

I called up Vodafone who seemed the most reasonable price and value wise, but after a lot of messing around they said that I need to ring Eircom to get a new connection in, and then get back to them.

Finally when I got through to Eircom, a sales representative said that I can get a basic phone package for €25 pm and upgrade to broadband for approx €57 or so. I said I would get the fixed line in and would shop around for the broadband package; to which the Eircom sales person said that I cannot do as I would be tied to Eircom for a fixed term contract (6-12 months) or something.

I called Vodafone back and explained the story but they said that I am under no legal obligation with Eircom as if I purchased the broadband bundle from them (at €45 a month) that they cover the line rental to Eircom and keep the rest so its all inclusive. The guy with Vodafone said to ring Comreg as he feels what Eircom are telling me has no legal grounds, and he has never heard of first time connections being bound to any particular company but he said to ring Comreg to put my mind at ease.

I said I would go on the gaaboard.com and ask ye bucks, and he said sound!

Denn Forever

Is the broadband for personal use?  Have you explored the use of the dongles from O2, Vodaphone or O3.

Where are you based?  Magnet can provide TV and Broadband but don't know if they are countrywide.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BenDover

BT in the North would be at the same craic, if you have to get your line reconnected BT are the only ones who can do it so you'd have to sign up to their line rental for 12-18months before you could move to anyone else

Ulick

Quote from: BenDover on February 10, 2012, 01:19:44 PM
BT in the North would be at the same craic, if you have to get your line reconnected BT are the only ones who can do it so you'd have to sign up to their line rental for 12-18months before you could move to anyone else

Not quite the same. You don't have to sign up for 12-18 months but they wave the reconnection fee and give a discount on the line rental if you do. Plus you don't have to take their broadband. I got them to do a reconnection last year and the lad they sent out (contractor from Wexford) did complicated connection for me running from the post on the street, over the top of the house round some outbuildings and in the back of my garage to my server cabinet - all for free. 

armaghniac

Whatever about what's right, the simplest plan is to haggle with Eircom, get the line and change to someone else if you wish after 6 months or whatever the minimum period is. Getting the line from Eircom and the broadband from someone else is never really good value anyway, bundles are always best.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AbbeySider

Ok so I called Comreg and they said that if Eircom are putting in the line then they can force me into a 12 month contract.

He also questioned why Vodafone were not offering to get my phone line installed, which they have the power to do. They can request that Eircom connect me up but for some reason they were pushing me to deal with Eircom.