Michael Meehan Injury

Started by Oak Leafer, January 31, 2012, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oak Leafer

Just seen this article.

Not nice to hear about such a talented players career in jeopardy.

It will make Derry's task this Sunday a little easier without him.

Meehan career could be over
31 January 2012

Galway's Michael MeehanAn ankle injury could put an end to Micheal Meehan's Galway career.

The brilliant 27-year-old forward has been dogged by injuries in recent seasons and new Galway boss Alan Mulholland disclosed the full extent of the battle he is currently facing, revealing in the Irish Examiner today that Meehan might not pull on the maroon shirt again:

"There's no better chance of him playing in 2013 than there is in 2012.

"He's got an injury that is what it is at the moment now. Further surgery has been analysed in the US and in England but further surgery isn't going to help him.

"It's a management thing. It's a cartilage issue in his ankle. It's a degenerative thing that can't be replaced.

"He's in a Paul McGrath type situation where he has to manage his injury though maybe a comparison with Paul McGrath isn't quite fair.

"Basically he trains whenever his body allows him to train. So whether he can get sharp and fit with that type of regime we don't know."

Syferus

It'd be a terrible loss for Galway, when's he's fit he's one of the finest forwards in the country. Galway's slide into the nadir since 2009 can't be attributed just to Meehan's woes, but it has played a very important part.

GalwayBayBoy

Very sad alright and no exaggeration either. I believe his football career is very much in doubt. I don't think Michael has even played for his club Caltra in well over 2 years. He was probably playing the best football of his Galway career just before the injury as well.

The first injury was in a league game in Salthill against Kerry in 2010 when he did his knee while scoring a goal. He was then rushed back too early by Joe Kernan to come on as a sub against Sligo in that Summer's Connacht championship. After 2 minutes you could tell he wasn't right and he ended up damaging his ankle later in the game. This is the injury that is currently threatening his career. He played against Meath then in the qualifiers last year and dislocated his shoulder. It's the ankle injury picked up against Sligo that is bothering him though.

ross4life

Exceptional talent wouldn't have looked out of place in the 1998 Galway forward line. Always sad to see top players unable to recover from injury.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Sad to see such a talented player pick up injury after injury.
I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in a maroon jersey again some day.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SBH1983

Quote from: ross4life on January 31, 2012, 05:04:23 PM
Exceptional talent wouldn't have looked out of place in the 1998 Galway forward line. Always sad to see top players unable to recover from injury.

absolutely true, massive loss to Galway and the game if he has to hang up the boots. unplayable more often than not from an oppositions point of view, like Joe Canning for the hurlers it could be a damage limitations exercise with Michael Meehan playing in the FF line

squire_in_navy_slacks

Terrible luck.......................still a young lad, plenty of time to get back in there

Orangemac

Sad news, hopefully he can make some sort of recovery. The GAA needs skillful players like him.

Mayo Mick

Sorry to hear this. Great player and Galway are only half the team without him.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

mouview

Quote from: Syferus on January 31, 2012, 01:30:04 PM
It'd be a terrible loss for Galway, when's he's fit he's one of the finest forwards in the country. Galway's slide into the nadir since 2009 can't be attributed just to Meehan's woes, but it has played a very important part.

Galway's slow descent began post 2001, when the older players on that side just grew too old too quickly, i.e. Mannion, De Paor, Walsh, Fallon, and accelerated rapidly post '05 when Donnellan faded and PJ couldn't be expected to carry the rest of them on his own. Mike Meehan was by a mile the best player Galway has produced *since* 2001; who can forget his performance v Kerry in the deluge of '08 when he nearly dragged a quite mediocre team over the finishing line.

Hopefully Mulholland gradually phases out a lot of the not-quite-good-enough players such as Bergin, Clancy, Bane, a rake of the Corofin defenders etc., honest servants though they were. Only when this is complete will Galway rise again IMHO.

Syferus

Quote from: mouview on February 01, 2012, 04:45:38 PM

Galway's slow descent began post 2001, when the older players on that side just grew too old too quickly, i.e. Mannion, De Paor, Walsh, Fallon, and accelerated rapidly post '05 when Donnellan faded and PJ couldn't be expected to carry the rest of them on his own. Mike Meehan was by a mile the best player Galway has produced *since* 2001; who can forget his performance v Kerry in the deluge of '08 when he nearly dragged a quite mediocre team over the finishing line.

Hopefully Mulholland gradually phases out a lot of the not-quite-good-enough players such as Bergin, Clancy, Bane, a rake of the Corofin defenders etc., honest servants though they were. Only when this is complete will Galway rise again IMHO.

That '08 Kerry-Galway game was easily one of the best games of football played in the past decade for pure spectacle and point-scoring.

Galway obviously had faded after the two All-Irelands, but my point was more that since 2009 they've barely made much of a rattle at all, not winning a single championship game in Ireland. I guess it can't get much worse but if Meehan doesn't play this year then Alan Mulholland will have to hope someone in the forwards emerges, and soon.

LeoMc

Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2012, 06:49:09 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 01, 2012, 04:45:38 PM

That '08 Kerry-Galway game was easily one of the best games of football played in the past decade for pure spectacle and point-scoring.

Galway obviously had faded after the two All-Irelands, but my point was more that since 2009 they've barely made much of a rattle at all, not winning a single championship game in Ireland. I guess it can't get much worse but if Meehan doesn't play this year then Alan Mulholland will have to hope someone in the forwards emerges, and soon.

A fantastic performance in any conditions, never mind the opposition.