More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: jeepers on February 08, 2012, 12:29:53 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on February 08, 2012, 12:24:28 PM
Is there not an element of window dressing in preventing Derrytresk from playing in the Ulster of All Ireland Club Championship for 5 years.  After winning the Tyrone Junior Championship in 2011, I presume that they will now be playing at Intermediate level and that it is unlikely if they will be strong contenders for county titles at that level. 

Agree completely, very few clubs jump up levels and suceed straight away, Ardfert did it a few years ago and won back to back All Irelands at junior and intermediate but they were a one off. That suspension was for show I feel, Derrytresk should still win the weekend

Wolfe Tones in Meath did it too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bigtogs

Jinxy

Why was a Derrytresk sub near him in the first place?
Commiserating with him no doubt.
Anyway, still pictures can be very misleading.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2012, 12:58:37 AM

But only when you dont want them to show what they appear to be showing I'm sure....  ::)

Minder

Tyrone savagery seems to know no bounds.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BennyHarp

::) How is this picture misleading?
That was never a square ball!!

Wee Roddy

Derrytresk WILL release a series of photos AFTER Sundays game that paints Dromid in a different picture than Liveline. Concentrate on Sunday first lads!
I heard they had photos but couldn't understand why they didn't release any until now.

As for Jinxy saying photos can be misleading, i hope there is a photo before it that shows the young cub putting his hand out to shake O'Sullivans hand. Was he as brave when Gormley, Noel O'Leary, or Ger Brennan approached him?? 

Give and Go

Croke Park should hang it's head in shame.
This is a typical example of the ridiculous approach to disciplinary matters by the GAA, in fact to more than discipline, to how it sets up competitions and committees.
The GAA cannot organise a competition on simple and fair lines, everything has to cater for exceptions to the rule rather than be equitable and fair.

Likewise with it's approach to discipline.
In a court of law you at lease hear all the evidence and can contest it. GAA discipline is administered by Committees who 'investigate' matters but a Club or individual cannot hear or see the evidence against them, only the allegation. It's almost impossible to get justice. It's one of the reasons we have such a poor disciplinary record as compared to other sports.
Many of the Committee members sitting in judgement have little in terms of ability, training or expertise in dealing with such matters. Their thinking is often coloured by personal preferences, by club and county politics, by media coverage and by possible media coverage of the outcome. Doing the right thing doesn't come into it very often.
The rules are deliberately vague and if they want to get you they will get you - 'misconduct considered to have discredited the Association', 'behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent', 'contributing to a melee'.... what does that mean???
It's very judgemental and non specific, open to interpretation and abuse.
'Attempting to strike'.....'attempting to kick'....'inflicting injury recklessly by means other than those stated above'......'minor physical interference (e.g. laying a hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with an official - laying a hand on could be widely misinterpreted if one wanted to be vindictive....disruptive conduct at games by team officials or supporters - what exactly is that...
Most of these terms are catch all phrases designed to allow Committees absolute power to discipline anyone they have a dislike for..
The hearings themselves are then conducted in a mystical setting where you never hear the evidence against you, the opposition can say what they will and you cannot refute it...

Referees then, don't get me going!! Many of them are only in it for the money. Some refs could be doing 10 games a week between adult and juvenile leagues, schools games, practice games. They are doing well out of it and too many are motivated only by the few bob, many of them display as much if not more contempt for players as some players have for refs! And at club level they don't forget.... Clubs and players know that and it's not fashionable or politically correct to say it, but it's often true. Some refs have been known to abuse players during games, some to vow to 'do a player' in a future game..

The GAA has become unwieldy, Croke Park has far too much sway and too many 'experts' pushing more and more obligations onto over worked volunteers at club level - ASAP Offices etc etc...
Maybe it's time for a new organisation - The Gaelic Clubs Association where players can play with their clubs when they should be instead of at the whim of a county manager who only has one interest - self promotion....

I hope Derrytresk take this to the DRA and wipe the floor with Croke Park over this carry on..

Rant over!

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2012, 08:48:43 AM

Because it doesn't show context. Is this retalliation or did O'Sullivan just walk up and clatter this fella? I don't know either way, but that's why video is much better than stills. I certainly think this was the precursor to the handbag lady alright.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 09:18:35 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2012, 08:48:43 AM

Because it doesn't show context. Is this retalliation or did O'Sullivan just walk up and clatter this fella? I don't know either way, but that's why video is much better than stills. I certainly think this was the precursor to the handbag lady alright.

does it matter?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

The whinging is getting tiresome. We've had Dromid whinging about Derrytresk and Derrytresk and their supporters here whinging about Dromid, about the GAA, about perceived anti-Northern bias, about the suspensions and about Dromid whinging.

But the Comical Ali stuff is just funny. Brawl? What brawl? Didn't see any brawl. If there was a brawl it was Dromid brawling amongst themselves, not us. Nor our subs or spectators or handbagwomen. No.

Shouldn't they be concentrating on the final?

And the use of still pictures as evidence of any action should be banned. All they tell you with reasonable confidence is that the people in the picture were present. And even that can be faked. But they are no evidence at all of what people are doing. In that picture, O'Sullivan could have been swatting a hardy January fly and the Derrytresk sub (ANOTHER one on the field?) tripping backwards over an abandoned handbag.

ONeill

That's an odd reading of it Hardy. Derrytresk have been mightily restrained in all of this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sheamy

Quote from: Give and Go on February 09, 2012, 09:13:25 AM
Croke Park should hang it's head in shame.
This is a typical example of the ridiculous approach to disciplinary matters by the GAA, in fact to more than discipline, to how it sets up competitions and committees.
The GAA cannot organise a competition on simple and fair lines, everything has to cater for exceptions to the rule rather than be equitable and fair.

Likewise with it's approach to discipline.
In a court of law you at lease hear all the evidence and can contest it. GAA discipline is administered by Committees who 'investigate' matters but a Club or individual cannot hear or see the evidence against them, only the allegation. It's almost impossible to get justice. It's one of the reasons we have such a poor disciplinary record as compared to other sports.
Many of the Committee members sitting in judgement have little in terms of ability, training or expertise in dealing with such matters. Their thinking is often coloured by personal preferences, by club and county politics, by media coverage and by possible media coverage of the outcome. Doing the right thing doesn't come into it very often.
The rules are deliberately vague and if they want to get you they will get you - 'misconduct considered to have discredited the Association', 'behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent', 'contributing to a melee'.... what does that mean???
It's very judgemental and non specific, open to interpretation and abuse.
'Attempting to strike'.....'attempting to kick'....'inflicting injury recklessly by means other than those stated above'......'minor physical interference (e.g. laying a hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with an official - laying a hand on could be widely misinterpreted if one wanted to be vindictive....disruptive conduct at games by team officials or supporters - what exactly is that...
Most of these terms are catch all phrases designed to allow Committees absolute power to discipline anyone they have a dislike for..
The hearings themselves are then conducted in a mystical setting where you never hear the evidence against you, the opposition can say what they will and you cannot refute it...

Referees then, don't get me going!! Many of them are only in it for the money. Some refs could be doing 10 games a week between adult and juvenile leagues, schools games, practice games. They are doing well out of it and too many are motivated only by the few bob, many of them display as much if not more contempt for players as some players have for refs! And at club level they don't forget.... Clubs and players know that and it's not fashionable or politically correct to say it, but it's often true. Some refs have been known to abuse players during games, some to vow to 'do a player' in a future game..

The GAA has become unwieldy, Croke Park has far too much sway and too many 'experts' pushing more and more obligations onto over worked volunteers at club level - ASAP Offices etc etc...
Maybe it's time for a new organisation - The Gaelic Clubs Association where players can play with their clubs when they should be instead of at the whim of a county manager who only has one interest - self promotion....

I hope Derrytresk take this to the DRA and wipe the floor with Croke Park over this carry on..

Rant over!

Well said. Possibly a thread of its own but a very important point to make. Paid people overloading volunteers instead of what I assume the intention was - to reduce the burden on volunteers. There's people in offices in Dublin and Armagh and elsewhere coming up with shit that no-one needs in order to justify their own employment. Not entirely their fault as in the round they're working hard and doing what they think is best. It just doesn't work as intended.