Tyrone club football

Started by Jinxy, November 13, 2011, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I couldn't agree more.

Respect is the fundamental problem and it works both ways. It simply doesn't happen in other sports (except low level soccer, to some extent) that you have referees or officials running around effing and blinding at the players. In our sport, even the top referee in the country has a mouth on him like a corner boy.

We need a new culture of respect. The starting point is a bit of grounding for referees in basic respectful behaviour - at the very least the elimination of the f**k word. Then we can enforce the rules that exist regarding respect for officials with some credibility.

BerfArmagh

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: BerfArmagh on November 21, 2011, 03:18:46 PM
I see cannibalism is alive & well in tyrone http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15775193

I heard a rumour theres a bit of Alastair Campbell going on here. Was the mans ear bitten off or was he wearing and ear ring and got it pulled out in the brawl? Just want to know because there is a BIG difference - can anyone clarify?

PS if its a true i'm still very alarmed...... that Carmen lads wear earrings!

LeoMc

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on November 21, 2011, 04:05:16 PM
I see cannibalism is alive & well in tyrone http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15775193

I heard a rumour theres a bit of Alastair Campbell going on here. Was the mans ear bitten off or was he wearing and ear ring and got it pulled out in the brawl? Just want to know because there is a BIG difference - can anyone clarify?

No, it is true enough, got a part of the lobe bitten off. He was operated on in Dundonald but stil lwaiting to see if it was sucessful. The same fellow is not a fighter.

Mind you the Dromore man pictured swinging is a Eucharistic minister.......

[/quote]

Nally Stand

Very much bitten off. Doctors reckoned it was done with at least four 'chews'.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 21, 2011, 05:14:33 PM

Very much bitten off. Doctors reckoned it was done with at least four 'chews'.

It's almost unbelievable that something like that would happen at a GAA match. The savage that did that needs to be prosecuted, fcking lunatic....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Moortown Spuds

Slap me down if im wrong but a west tyronite told me today that a man lost the sight of an eye! Is this bullsh*t? Please tell me it is!

Whishtup

Quote from: rogueryhill on November 21, 2011, 10:01:19 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on November 20, 2011, 11:02:46 PM
           These things have the potential to happen at any game, anywhere in the country.  The only game I was ever at in Kerry was in the league a few years back when Tyrone played Kerry in Austin Stacks.  My better half and I were seated beside a particularly aggressive element where if either of us had opened our mouths at the wrong time, I have no doubt that physical violence would have ensued. (by the way, our car had been keyed during the game-perhaps more to do with the Cork Reg. than anything!)   
           My point is that there is the potential for these things to happen at any sporting event and it does happen.  I seem to remember a Clare club hurling match where the supporters held a player through the wire while the opposing team flailed him with hurleys. 

Whataboutery? What about it?  Maybe if the GAA and pundits concentrated a bit more on whataboutery, they could compile a dossier of incidents, analyse the root causes, look for trends and decide if changes need to be made or intuitive sessions need to be held because it does happen occasionally in all counties.  Imposing massive fines and bans on the clubs concerned will do nothing to stop these things happening.   I'm all for whataboutery!

I see some nonsense in today's Irish Times, comparing the role of the referees in Rugby to that of the GAA ref.  While I enjoy watching rugby,   I for one would hate to see that militant and almost pompous control of GAA games take place.  In many ways our national games are synonymous with our tribal culture, that is what makes them special.  It also makes them potentially dangerous if they are not steered in the right direction by officials, coaches, and stewards, albeit in a way that is relative to the spirit of the games.         

Couldn't have said it better myself Tyrone club football = tribal culture. You can stick your tribal culture if it means referees getting assaulted, supporters getting their ears bitten off and the GAA making news headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Officials and coaches steering in the right direction? - you're having a laugh. A Rasharkin club official was prominent in their shenanigans and McGinn was manager when he was at his "Dromore Kiss" routine.

Whataboutery is for primary schoolyards  ::)

The tribal nature of this country will always exist and should be acknowledged and nourished as an irish facet.      99% of the time it manifests itself in a positive way so if you want to disown that then go ahead.   I know where I'll stand.  Is it possible that we are Tyrone are more tribal than others-possible, as we do come from one of the last two Gaelic Kingdoms of Ireland and have endured recent troubles that other counties will never experience.  Then why does it happen in other counties the length and breadth of Ireland?     

Is it not obvious that that I implied the games should be steered in the right direction by officials and coaches?

Whishtup

While I agree that players need to have more respect and vice-versa, I don't think that the rugby style ref is the road to go down-you run the danger of changing the dynamic of the game.  The standard of officiating at all levels has been a joke for this past ten years and that needs to be addressed.  Pat McAneny's style of refereeing should be used as a model for all officials.  He seems to maintain control and momentum of a game without military inspired tactics.

LeoMc

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on November 21, 2011, 08:31:08 PM
Slap me down if im wrong but a west tyronite told me today that a man lost the sight of an eye! Is this bullsh*t? Please tell me it is!
A Dromore man (brother of the brolly man I heard) did get a fractured eye socket, not sure how bad it was.

Jinxy

Quote from: Whishtup on November 21, 2011, 08:54:07 PM
           These things have the potential to happen at any game, anywhere in the country.  The only game I was ever at in Kerry was in the league a few years back when Tyrone played Kerry in Austin Stacks.  My better half and I were seated beside a particularly aggressive element where if either of us had opened our mouths at the wrong time, I have no doubt that physical violence would have ensued. (by the way, our car had been keyed during the game-perhaps more to do with the Cork Reg. than anything!)   
           My point is that there is the potential for these things to happen at any sporting event and it does happen.  I seem to remember a Clare club hurling match where the supporters held a player through the wire while the opposing team flailed him with hurleys. 

Whataboutery? What about it?  Maybe if the GAA and pundits concentrated a bit more on whataboutery, they could compile a dossier of incidents, analyse the root causes, look for trends and decide if changes need to be made or intuitive sessions need to be held because it does happen occasionally in all counties.  Imposing massive fines and bans on the clubs concerned will do nothing to stop these things happening.   I'm all for whataboutery!

I see some nonsense in today's Irish Times, comparing the role of the referees in Rugby to that of the GAA ref.  While I enjoy watching rugby,   I for one would hate to see that militant and almost pompous control of GAA games take place.  In many ways our national games are synonymous with our tribal culture, that is what makes them special.  It also makes them potentially dangerous if they are not steered in the right direction by officials, coaches, and stewards, albeit in a way that is relative to the spirit of the games.         

Couldn't have said it better myself Tyrone club football = tribal culture. You can stick your tribal culture if it means referees getting assaulted, supporters getting their ears bitten off and the GAA making news headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Officials and coaches steering in the right direction? - you're having a laugh. A Rasharkin club official was prominent in their shenanigans and McGinn was manager when he was at his "Dromore Kiss" routine.

The tribal nature of this country will always exist and should be acknowledged and nourished as an irish facet.      99% of the time it manifests itself in a positive way so if you want to disown that then go ahead.   I know where I'll stand.  Is it possible that we are Tyrone are more tribal than others-possible, as we do come from one of the last two Gaelic Kingdoms of Ireland and have endured recent troubles that other counties will never experience.  Then why does it happen in other counties the length and breadth of Ireland?     

Is it not obvious that that I implied the games should be steered in the right direction by officials and coaches?

What are you talking about?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Whishtup

Quote from: Jinxy on November 21, 2011, 11:23:34 PM

troubles

trileacman

Quote from: Whishtup on November 21, 2011, 11:36:21 PM

troubles

You are a bollocks.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Quote from: trileacman on November 22, 2011, 01:36:52 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on November 21, 2011, 11:36:21 PM

troubles

You are a bollocks.

Calling me a sectarian and calling whistup a bollocks....you're quite the skilled debater aren't you  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

rogueryhill

WTF? Are you Darby O'Gill?