Tyrone club football

Started by Jinxy, November 13, 2011, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: AQMP on November 14, 2011, 03:58:31 PM
More pics here:

http://www.u.tv/Galleries/Carrickmore-v-Dromore-Brawl-Erupts/6BD18E5B-3657-43E3-BEE0-CC3A9FBF23CD

In fairness to Tyrone people, most of the crowd have a look of shock on their faces.  Matters not helped by the Carrickmore no 19 trying to climb the wire to get into the crowd.

http://www.u.tv/Galleries/GalleryPicture.aspx?guid=6BD18E5B-3657-43E3-BEE0-CC3A9FBF23CD&ImgId=189608

The Carrickmore nos 2 & 10 need to visit a competent barber.

Where are the Dromore players?

AQMP

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on November 14, 2011, 04:37:09 PM
Quote from: AQMP on November 14, 2011, 03:58:31 PM
More pics here:

http://www.u.tv/Galleries/Carrickmore-v-Dromore-Brawl-Erupts/6BD18E5B-3657-43E3-BEE0-CC3A9FBF23CD

In fairness to Tyrone people, most of the crowd have a look of shock on their faces.  Matters not helped by the Carrickmore no 19 trying to climb the wire to get into the crowd.

http://www.u.tv/Galleries/GalleryPicture.aspx?guid=6BD18E5B-3657-43E3-BEE0-CC3A9FBF23CD&ImgId=189608

The Carrickmore nos 2 & 10 need to visit a competent barber.

Where are the Dromore players?

Already in the crowd??

Whishtup

Brawls, diggin sessions, call them what you want have happened up and down the country since the start of the GAA.  Let's not get haughty here.

I've a very good friend from Cork who has it instilled in his head that Northeners and Northern matches are particularly rough and dirty.  In almost the same breath he'll tell me about the killing sessions they would have when they played the Kerry teams-having to make a run for the bus after a match and violence continuing into the nearby town that night.

An older relative of my wife's from a certain Connaught county received a ban for attacking a ref mid-game and has been known to scale the fence on several occasions-honest family man who just loses the head at matches. 

My point is that these things do happen all over the country and always have done so.  From the photos there, it seems to be one or two lunatics in the crowd that have lost control and they should be banned for life-for their own good and the good of other decent supporters and young children.

Carrickmore and dromore are extremely competitive and successful outfits who are going to be in the limelight more than most and they should curtail the chance of any more bad publicity with meaningful club statements and punishments to suit.

Interesting to see that the BBC Northern-Ireland website have a "Violent scenes at Tyrone GAA game" main headline for half the day when the can't seem to use the letters "GAA" to categorise the sport in  the sporting headlines, preferring to use "Northern Ireland" when every other sport from soccer to boxing is categorised correctly-gobshites.

imtommygunn

The BBC always jump on violence in gaelic matches.

Would agree with a lot here about it being exaggerated somewhat.

Our games are very physical and tempers will get extremely frayed at times.

What we need to nip in the bud is anyone who is messing with referees and people fighting in crowds. Fighting in crowds is neandethral behaviour of the highest order. I have played in matches, interestingly against the club of someone taking the "high ground", where a fellow player was attacked by an angry woman wielding an umbrella.While it was mildyly amusing it isn't behaviour that should be tolerated. You understand the odd bout of fisticuffs on the field but not in the stand. I would agree here that police should get involved in this - boys like that in the crowd have no place in the GAA.

Whishtup

Quote from: Hospital Road on November 14, 2011, 05:01:40 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on November 14, 2011, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 12:56:53 PM
As for opposition supporters attacking another, can you honestly say that if you were standing at a match with your own clubs supporters and a supporter from the opposing club reached over the wire and hit one of your players across the head with an umbrella, that nobody from your clubs supporters standing there would react? That's not supporting what happened, just pointing out that it takes two to tango lads.
Possibly, but there would be plenty enough sensible heads about to step in and diffuse the situation rather than fuel it.

Nonsense. Had someone at any game anywhere in Ireland leaned over the wire at a final and attacked an opposing club player with an umbrella, the end result would have been no different. Suggesting otherwise is utterly fanciful.
most towns and villages in ireland arent full of people who have itchy fingers ready to get involved in a fight at any time and boast about it
have you rung marty mcguiness to get this sorted yet?

I'd say he's right and busy-sure hasn't he just sorted out the Presidency? ;)

ONeill

From Moortown's book. Nostalgia.

EXTRACT FROM 1972......

it would be a poor year which did not have some amusing memories. Pat Devlin Ban, who received his transfer from the defunct Rock club to Moortown in June 1972, and who had done much of the work on the new field, raised some eyebrows when he togged out complete with a hairnet. This, however, did not faze those Moortown players who, the previous November, had played against the Rock in truly arctic conditions, and had witnessed, in the words of an incredulous Moortown official - "Pat Ban at full-back for the Rock with an oul gabardine coat over his strip, a bad green woolly hat on his head, and repelling all invaders from the Rock square".

The fight at Urney was another incident which has remained vivid in the minds of those who were present. On Sunday 26 November, a clear, dry winter's day, Moortown travelled to Urney in desperate need of points. The players travelled in style, as they had done throughout the season, in their very own bus with player Pat Ban at the wheel. One man who came along for a day out was Eddie Coyle, who had occasionally played in goal for Moortown sides from as early as 1943. In fact Eddie's trip was motivated by a bout of nostalgia, for he had been a reserve for the last Moortown team that had travelled to Urney for an All-county league game, away back in April 1951. Moortown officials were thin on the ground at Urney (in 1972) so Eddie willingly agreed to be an umpire. Not long into the game a row broke out and it quickly developed into a field-fight in the vicinity of the Moortown goals. The years fell away from Eddie as he immediately became embroiled in the fracas, using his umpire's flag to good effect. Most of the Moortown players gave a good account of themselves, with Mickey Crozier, Mark Quinn, and Gerry Ryan in particular defending their club's honour with relish. Later the referee was persuaded to return from the safety of his car and resume his duties. At the end of the match the Urney people provided a good tea for their visitors and all was well, save that Urney had won the game by ten points to three. Moortown put their defeat down to the fantastic contours of the playing field (it was not possible to see the lower half of the goalposts from some parts of the pitch) but in reality that was the feeblest of excuses. No one was more delighted with the day's proceedings than Eddie Coyle -

I was convinced that the present-day footballers were soft compared to my day, that is, until the whole thing erupted round me. It was years since I had seen a good field-fight like that. Men from both sides were going at it hammer and tongs. I saw an Urney man running after a Moortown man, and Mickey Crozier after both of them, across a shough, into the next field and out of it again. Aw, it was a powerful day's futball.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Moortown Spuds

The more things change the more things stay the same. Them Urney ones are a bundle of thugs! :D

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Whishtup on November 14, 2011, 05:15:10 PM
As for opposition supporters attacking another, can you honestly say that if you were standing at a match with your own clubs supporters and a supporter from the opposing club reached over the wire and hit one of your players across the head with an umbrella, that nobody from your clubs supporters standing there would react? That's not supporting what happened, just pointing out that it takes two to tango lads.
Possibly, but there would be plenty enough sensible heads about to step in and diffuse the situation rather than fuel it.

Nonsense. Had someone at any game anywhere in Ireland leaned over the wire at a final and attacked an opposing club player with an umbrella, the end result would have been no different. Suggesting otherwise is utterly fanciful.
most towns and villages in ireland arent full of people who have itchy fingers ready to get involved in a fight at any time and boast about it

I'd say he's right and busy-sure hasn't he just sorted out the Presidency? ;)

Talking of the Presidency, does the just retired President not tell stories of how she was an umbrella-wielding-pitch-invader in her youth when Martin was playing?

Nally Stand

Who's boasting?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

rrhf

Joe.ie has a quare take on the type of umbrella used. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 01:30:04 PM
...Again, not condoning it, just stressing that it takes two to tango.

Not the Carmen's fault that they're the Tyrone Tango champions!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mont

some tyrone/carmen folk on here sound like unionist politicians with all the whatabouttery.

disgraceful scenes - no doubt the punishment (if given) will be appealed and overturned - tyrone cb dont exactly do their job in many instances

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mont on November 14, 2011, 06:05:50 PM
some tyrone/carmen folk on here sound like unionist politicians with all the whatabouttery.

disgraceful scenes - no doubt the punishment (if given) will be appealed and overturned - tyrone cb dont exactly do their job in many instances

Any examples of whataboutery from Carmen posters?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Mont

Quote from: Jinxy on November 14, 2011, 12:19:24 PM
Whenever I see the name 'Carrickmore' I think to myself "Ah they're the lads that are always fighting".
Think about that for a second.
A club team that are known nationwide, not for their success on the field, but for regularly behaving like thugs.
Now there are probably some people within that club that relish this reputation.
They are morons and they need to be weeded out of the association.
For all I know Dromore could be just as bad but Carrickmore seem to be involved in a lot of dodgy stuff.
Rows on the field is one thing, opposition supporters attacking each other is an absolute disgrace.
Someone said sarcastically earlier "Won't somebody think of the children", well it mightn't be a bad idea as I can only imagine that any kids caught in the middle of the fighting were terrified out of their wits.

I know what you mean. When I hear "Meath", I think "inbred thugs".

whatabouttery - but sure u will prob say different

call a spade a spade - ur club have been involved with more issues than most and have disciplinary issues

Armaghgeddon

Tyrone club football...topic title is misleading.