Poppies/Emblems on football shirts

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2011, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Lets say FIFA change the rules and allow countries to put emblems (such as poppies) on their football shirts. What emblem would you like to see on a country's (or club) shirt?

armaghniac

Crossmaglen Rangers could have an oil lorry.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

EagleLord

First I heard of this I thought, its a bit sad really, that FIFA wont allow them to put the poppies on. But having just read it in paper there, FIFA's ruling is that they don't allow 'religious, commercial or political' messages on shirts. And they aren't budging. I suppose this is fair. A blanket ban on all shirts. Technically this poppy would be political. If they bend a rule here there'd no end to it.

I remember Argentina years ago wanting to hand in their squad numbers for the world cup without the number 10 shirt, that they tried to retire because of Maradona. FIFA didn't budge then either and they had to name players from 1- 23.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The more reprehensible, inexcusable and multitudinous the British Army excursion (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc.), the more apoplectic the indignation.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

I think FIFA are right on the poppies. British imperialism has no place in international football

I always found the Remembrance Day thing very hypocritical when I was in London.
Especially after Iraq.

thejuice

Yeah its a bit ridiculous. To be honest it seems to have been ramped up a lot in the last 5 years.
I guess its all a show in the hope for more cannon fodder to sign up for some future expeditions.

I think people should also be made aware that when Cameron and all those clowns go laying wreaths later this week they will most likely have just come from parliament after voting in Favour of lifting the ban on the use of Cluster Bombs.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hardy

It's interesting how unreasonableness, one-sided pleading, bullying and extremism can polarise even the most moderate. I was at worst easy-going on the poppy issue. Not only did it not bother me who wore what, I leaned toward the opinion that those who protested about having poppyism shoved down their throats were going out of their way to be offended.

Now I just want the poppy lobby to shove their poppies up their drainpipes, along with and any other emblems they feel the need to flaunt. It's people who can't leave well alone that start all trouble.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Argentina could superimpose an image like this on its jersey perhaps!

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

JUst retired

FIFA have now allowed poppies on the shirts.
OWC want UVF flag on theirs. :)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

This full sized original panting is to be exhibited at half-time for one hour in the centre of the pitch, as a commemoration of all Spanish to have died in war.

spuds

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 09, 2011, 05:48:34 PM
if you slabber enough, you usually get your way

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15666769.stm

Cannot understand why FIFA have allowed this, setting a precedent for others who will argue that Britain have been allowed so why not the likes of Israel having some symbol to celebrate their fallen on their jersies.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on November 09, 2011, 09:37:17 PM

Cannot understand why FIFA have allowed this, setting a precedent for others who will argue that Britain have been allowed so why not the likes of Israel having some symbol to celebrate their fallen on their jersies.

I'm sure every nation in the world have symbols that may or may not offend others in their own country or in others.

What happens if Ireland wore something to remember all those killed in Cromwell's Wars in Ireland.

EagleLord

Gold

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2011, 09:54:39 PM
Quote from: spuds on November 09, 2011, 09:37:17 PM

I'm sure every nation in the world have symbols that may or may not offend others in their own country or in others.

What happens if Ireland wore something to remember all those killed in Cromwell's Wars in Ireland.

Exactly--i was thinking we should do that--start wearing something.

Up here we'd be roared at and told we were only causing trouble. But i'm sure i've family who fell at the hands of English hordes so why not wear a symbol for those boys who fought for our country with shovels etc --is their a heirarchy of war victims?--can you only wear one if a war was only 100 but not 400/600 years ago??
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."