Ciaran McManus hangs up the Faithful jersey

Started by AZOffaly, November 07, 2011, 11:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

News coming out from home that our talisman for the last 10 years and more, Ciaran McManus, is retiring from Offaly football duty. I'm surprised at this because I was chatting him recently and he said he had no intentions of retiring, so I'm wondering if the latest appointment farce has just tired him out.

Maccer was a brilliant servant to Offaly football, and deserved more than 1 Leinster and 1 NFL title for his efforts, but I suppose that's a common refrain throughout the country in the smaller counties. His dedication to Offaly, his efforts in travelling from various parts abroad for matches, his engine and his sheer will to win will not be forgotten by Offaly people. Sometimes he took too much on himself, as can happen good players on teams that are not going well, but he always put Offaly first.

I hope he reconsiders, but if he doesn't then he's earned a rest.

Dinny Breen

Couldn't face another defeat to Kildare  ;)

Great player for the Biffo's, his committment is an example to all aspiring footballers. Enjoy your retirement big man.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Seriously committed footballer. I remember him smashing a Sunday Game MOTM award against a wall after a Offaly/Kildare match down in Kilkenny such was his frustration at the result.

Is Karol Slattery giving it another year AZ?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Fear ón Srath Bán

A Faithful Colossus, in every respect. Best to him.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Declan

Took some slagging for being the oldest student in Belfield alright but a great servant. Best of luck to him

Billys Boots

Ruined many a Sunday for me, which I suppose was his job! 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

Honest as the day is long.

Some servant to Offaly.

Club Rossa

Fine footballer,will be a huge loss to Offaly.

AZOffaly

Quote from: front of the mountain on November 07, 2011, 01:04:03 PM
unreal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMj9nMvv-TQ

He got a better one than that against Laois in O'Moore Park in 2003. Mick Lawlor saved Laois that day with a throw pass to Kevin Fitzpatrick for a late Laois goal. Laois won the replay in Tullamore and the rest is history for Laois and Micko.

heffo

magpie seanie

Well put AZ. Massive servant to the Faithful.

I'll always remember his live interview on the news after losing a qualifier where he expressed in no uncertain terms his disapproval of the referee. One of those moments where you envision panic stations in RTE with guys reaching for red buttons!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

A great warrior and an exponent of all that's good in football. Not a dishonest bone in his body.

heffo