Has anyone ever worked as a Movie Extra?

Started by davegaasportsdesk, November 02, 2011, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davegaasportsdesk

Lads, I had an interview yesterday with the director of movie extras in Ireland - http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/featured-three-footer/life-as-a-movie-extra/ ,

I wanted to see if any of you guys have ever done it, and if so, was it any good?
Join Talking GAA on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheWorldsTalkin

Shamrock Shore

Yep

Extra in The Dublin Mystic in about 1994. The late Mick Lally was in it. I was friendly at the time with the Director and Producer.

Whole day wasted for 3 seconds of screen time. Got nothing for me troubles except an invite to the premier in The Irish Film Centre in Temple Bar.

Film was a complete load of nonsense. Art house stuff. In Irish  :-[

Jonah

davegaasportsdesk

Quote from: Jonah on November 02, 2011, 03:33:55 PM
I was in Braveheart.

What was braveheart like to be in? Were you in the battle scene. I heard that it was one of the extra's that told Mel Gibson about mooning and that is where they got the idea.
Join Talking GAA on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheWorldsTalkin

ziggysego

A mate of mine from Loughmacrory was an extra on Partition, when he was working in India. He enjoyed it.
Testing Accessibility

Bingo

Never an extra but did the Audits of a few film productions out in Ardmore studios including the Jackie Chan turkey that was the Medallion and a Hallmark film starting Jessica Tandy or whatever was her real name.

Never met any of them but seen Jerry Buickenhemer (badly spelt) and ate in the canteen on a daily basis that did look like a scene from Hollywood with actors in various customs and outfits.

I was always hoping that the Blazing Saddles ending would break out but it never did  :(

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2011, 04:37:19 PM
I was in Braveheart.

I had you down for an arse alright.  ;D

muppet, were you not an oompah loompah in charlie & the chocolate factory
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Eamonnca1

I did once for a friend who was making an independent movie. Didn't get paid for it and neither did the other extras, I just did it to help him out.

If you're doing it for a studio then it's a decent way of passing the time. I wouldn't imagine you'd get very much but then you spend most of the time sitting around gossiping and waiting while the crew set up the next scene. You get paid for spending most of your time doing nothing.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2011, 06:39:19 PM
I did once for a friend who was making an independent movie. Didn't get paid for it and neither did the other extras, I just did it to help him out.

If you're doing it for a studio then it's a decent way of passing the time. I wouldn't imagine you'd get very much but then you spend most of the time sitting around gossiping and waiting while the crew set up the next scene. You get paid for spending most of your time doing nothing.
Of course you did... There's not a whole lot you haven't done is there  :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Milltown Row2

wasn't in a movie but appeared (though i didn't know until a few years ago) in Police video for the song Invisible Sun, it was set in Belfast but originally banned.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Chap in work has a part in Game of Thrones in January I think. Has been growing a straggly beard especially. The wife's cousins have also been extras in it too. Probably an awful lot of sitting around doing nothing so should suit any civil servants out there ;)

AZOffaly

Myself and the brother in law were down having a pint in Gleesons o' Newport (Tipp) when this bohemian looking lad came in and asked us were we doing anything the next day. When we were sure he wasn't propositioning us, it transpired he was looking to cast a few extras for Killinascully, being filmed out in Killoscully the next morning. The brother in law was a pilot, and off the next day, so he toddled on out.

Got €50, a feed, and a load of screen time on the episode 'The Bachelor Festival'.

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 02, 2011, 06:08:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2011, 04:37:19 PM
I was in Braveheart.

I had you down for an arse alright.  ;D

muppet, were you not an oompah loompah in charlie & the chocolate factory

Nope, wasn't orange enough.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 02, 2011, 06:56:55 PM
Of course you did... There's not a whole lot you haven't done is there  :D