Oh, and there is a referendum.

Started by Denn Forever, October 21, 2011, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Declan

Taoiseach rejects 'hysteria' against inquiry referendum
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 03:19 PM

The Taoiseach Enda Kenny has rejected suggestions that a 'yes' vote in the referendum on Oireachtas inquiries would result in the setting up of Kangaroo courts.

Mr Kenny said there has been "hysteria and hype" about the impact of the proposed constitutional change.

The Government said the referendum will allow for the setting up of Oireachtas inquiries into matters of public importance.

But Opponents have said the referendum will "allow a person's home to be entered by State investigators", and will diminish the rights of a person to their good name.

The Taoiseach has said that is "nonsense".

Mr Kenny said: "There are appropriate regulations and limitations built into the law that protect the good name of people involved.

"When I hear of night-time excursions by deputies who serve on committees to go into houses and confiscate laptops and paperwork, this is hysteria. There is no question of Kangaroo courts or that kindf of activity taking place."

So the party of law and order have spoken - no need to worry folks ;)

Hardy

Phew. I don't know why I was worried. That's grand now.

Declan

Quick straw poll at lunch - not scientific but both will be passed comfortably

Shamrock Shore

I look forward to Ming, Mick Wallace and Michael Healy Rae sitting on a comm-it-tay investigating things in "dah pubelik interesht"

I will vote 'No' but I have already accepted I will be in the minority in my own head.

I will predict that my pinko liberal lefty constituency of Dun Laoghaire will be the only one to vote 'No'

Billys Boots

I wonder where the Childrens' Rights referendum has disappeared to?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

Lots of confusion yesterday by all accounts - The wording of the amendments weren't displayed on the voting papers merely "29th and 30th amendments". Listening to the radio this morning a lot of people voted no because of the lack of debate around them particularly the Oireachtas one.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Declan on October 28, 2011, 08:55:24 AM
Lots of confusion yesterday by all accounts - The wording of the amendments weren't displayed on the voting papers merely "29th and 30th amendments". Listening to the radio this morning a lot of people voted no because of the lack of debate around them particularly the Oireachtas one.

That was my impression as well Dec. Your one was ready to talk me through what the 2 extra papers were for until I informed her I knew. It was only when I got to the booth that I had to double check which was which, they certainly weren't laid out clearly.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

RTÉ are saying the enquiries referendum is too close to call. That's an amazing turnaround in a week. The gaaboard campaign was very effective.

magpie seanie

If the establishment are saying its too close to call then chances are its gone against them. Rightly so too in my view. Surely after all we've been through we should stop anything that hasn't been debated properly.

Declan

QuoteRTÉ are saying the enquiries referendum is too close to call. That's an amazing turnaround in a week. The gaaboard campaign was very effective.

Yep some turnaround alright - Wonder did that letter prove to be the turning point?

Shamrock Shore

If this fails then it's a wonderful result. Whether the 'No' is a result of an informed decision to vote 'No' or whether it was a case of 'If in doubt or haven't a baldy vote No' it doesn't matter.

I'd rather sleepwalk into no change than sleepwalk into one like this was proposing.

Declan

Agreed - I actually ended up voting no to both of them

muppet

Sadly if the past is anything to go by, a 'no' vote will mean no change to anything for a couple of decades. Back to the DPP (hello Seanie & co.) and Tribunals (hello Bertie) then to keep us from National calamities.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Dana said to vote No.  Was that the key factor?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...