Is there a Recession going on at all?

Started by Orangemac, September 01, 2011, 11:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2011, 10:47:52 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2011, 10:44:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2011, 10:21:21 PM
What price a pint in Dublin now? Heading down tomorrow for the weekend hurling. (my 16th in a row!!)
I doubt you'll let the price put you off!

Yeah, Wife will no doubt tell me at the end of the month!!
Aye I know, we've a joint account too as she watches it like a hawk. Was saying to Minder earlier I'll need to slip a few quid into a wee slush fund for next year without her noticing instead of a crying match when €200 is pulled out of a cash machine Dublin!

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2011, 10:56:41 PM
What price a pint in Dublin now? Heading down tomorrow for the weekend hurling. (my 16th in a row!!)

Aye I know, we've a joint account too as she watches it like a hawk. Was saying to Minder earlier I'll need to slip a few quid into a wee slush fund for next year without her noticing instead of a crying match when €200 is pulled out of a cash machine Dublin!

She has big thumbs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2011, 10:58:56 PM

She has big thumbs.
I have no idea what that means. Was it funny?

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2011, 11:06:32 PM

She has big thumbs.

Yes.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

She has big thumbs.

If it rains do you get wet?
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Well I was sorted this year, managed to win a couple of decent bets and that has paid for it. Plus I'm staying at a friends house so free accommodation
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on September 02, 2011, 11:08:27 PM

She has big thumbs.

If it rains do you get wet?
Sound of a penny dropping. I'm the boss of our house unless she decides otherwise.

Milltown Row2

It's simple, it's who gets to the bank first job done, all good though, lucky we are both earning, and in today's recession I'm pleased.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orangemac

Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2011, 11:49:10 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on September 01, 2011, 11:42:36 PM
There has been a downturn both in Ireland and UK for about 3/4 years now but how real is it?

Obviously gov revenues are down and deficits are up. Unemployment is up a lot in the South and a bit in the North but everywhere you look there are few signs of any real downturn.

For anyone who has lost their job the recession is real but there is no shortage of new cars about North and South, weddings are still as big as they were, everywhere you go people have IPhones/blackberries and every child in the country has the latest games/gadgets. The fleadh in Cavan recently had massive crowds and every major concert seems to be sold out.

Everyones income is down a bit but is this recession not really hitting people the way the one in the 1980s did?

Go chat to someone who has lost their job and their house and see how the recession is . . . people are getting it tight because you are a middle class person everyone you know is middle class and most likely affected but not hugely but you can be sure a number of people are feeling the pressure and it's unlikely to ease in the short term!
I know plenty of people who have lost their jobs, some found work pretty quickly, some seem to comfortable enough on the dole especially in the South. They can afford to go out for meals, have the odd weekend away,send their children to Irish dancing etc.

I am not in a middle class ivory tower. We didn't have loads during the boom and we have a bit less now. I am grateful to have my job.The downturn is correcting the craziness of the credit fuelled boom and spending is down substantially because people aren't able to access the credit they were a few years ago.

Leonardo

of course there is a recession. there is still work available but rates in construction area fraction of what was going 3 years ago. i was paying joiners 1k per week if they were in dublin but average for north was 500 quid. they were spoiled then and appreciate 300 now

Milltown Row2

I'm hammered in dublin. Drinks too dear but craic is 90

Tony Baloney

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Pretty shocking behaviour by Milltown Row.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

He'll leave the data roaming on and get hammered on his phone bill too!