The Greatest Rivalry Ever

Started by southsidejohnny, September 01, 2011, 01:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 01, 2011, 04:41:22 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 01, 2011, 04:14:34 PM
Kerry and Dublin are two ships passing in the night.  Offaly and Laois share a lifeboat and are both trying to figure out how to dump the other lad over the side.

Brilliant ;D AZ Offaly but I disagree. I think Dub v Kerry is a rivalry. As a Dub I would prefer to beat Kerry in an AIF more than any other county including Meath and Kildare. Kerry have won all the battles since the 70's but there has been a few humdingers in that time. The 1985 All Ireland Final was a decent game with Dublin right in it until the end. The 2001 draw in Thurles was an epic battle and the replay wasn't bad either. The 2007 semi final was also a right good game which Kerry won by 2. The winning goal was pretty lucky too, a shot for a point coming off the upright for Declan O Sullivan to finish. Just because its not a local rivalry does not mean its not a rivlary. btw I do a agree Herald is full of shite.

I think it has to work both ways. Most counties would love to beat Kerry in an AIF because they are the standard bearers.

I think the Dublin love to think of themselves as Kerrys rivals. I think Kerry think Cork are their rivals, and everyone else is an obstacle between themselves and Sam. Occasionally teams surface, like Dublin in the 70s and Tyrone in the 00s, which become rivals for that particular vintage but that's as far as it goes.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2011, 05:03:19 PM

Kerry and Dublin are two ships passing in the night.  Offaly and Laois share a lifeboat and are both trying to figure out how to dump the other lad over the side.

It's been a long time since ye threw us overboard.

True, unfortunately.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 01, 2011, 05:05:45 PM
I think it has to work both ways. Most counties would love to beat Kerry in an AIF because they are the standard bearers.

I think the Dublin love to think of themselves as Kerrys rivals. I think Kerry think Cork are their rivals, and everyone else is an obstacle between themselves and Sam. Occasionally teams surface, like Dublin in the 70s and Tyrone in the 00s, which become rivals for that particular vintage but that's as far as it goes.

I don't love to think of them as rivals. I just hate the c***ts.

AZOffaly

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 01, 2011, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 01, 2011, 02:21:25 PM
Stephenites - Knockmore - Crossmolina  :D

That was a great club rivalry alright, all fading stars now. I predict Mitchels-Breaffy-Ballintubber could be the one for this decade.

Just because the 3 north Mayo clubs may well be fading from memory doesn't make me dislike Ballina or  Crossmolina any less!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

As for county rivalries, yes Mayo v Galway is up there for me as is Mayo v Roscommon. But I always dread the week leading up to Mayo v Sligo games. Don't know why as they only beat us every so often!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gold

Brilliant ;D AZ Offaly but I disagree. I think Dub v Kerry is a rivalry. As a Dub I would prefer to beat Kerry in an AIF more than any other county including Meath and Kildare. Kerry have won all the battles since the 70's but there has been a few humdingers in that time. The 1985 All Ireland Final was a decent game with Dublin right in it until the end. The 2001 draw in Thurles was an epic battle and the replay wasn't bad either. The 2007 semi final was also a right good game which Kerry won by 2. The winning goal was pretty lucky too, a shot for a point coming off the upright for Declan O Sullivan to finish. Just because its not a local rivalry does not mean its not a rivlary. btw I do a agree Herald is full of shite.

That game in 07 was an absolute walk in the park for Kerry. Dublin  came back a wee bit when Kerry took there foot off the gas but in reality the game was a completer non-event. Kerry blitzed the Dubs Killkenny style and then just did what they had to win the game.

Donaghy never faced the goal all day and Galvin made a boy outta that Dub half back who is now always on the bench after he tried the hard man act on him (Paul Flynn??)
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Frank Casey

We would regard no team as being fit to be our rivals.

"Being a Kerryman, in my opinion, is the greatest gift that God can bestow on any man. When you belong to Kerry you know you have a head start on the other fellow. In belonging to Kerry you belong to the elements, to the spheres spinning in the heavens. You belong to history and language and romance and ancient song. It's almost unbearable being a Kerryman and it's an awesome responsibility."

John B. Keane

KERRY 3:7

Orangemac

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 01, 2011, 06:50:16 PM

"Being a Kerryman, in my opinion, is the greatest gift that God can bestow on any man. When you belong to Kerry you know you have a head start on the other fellow. In belonging to Kerry you belong to the elements, to the spheres spinning in the heavens. You belong to history and language and romance and ancient song. It's almost unbearable being a Kerryman and it's an awesome responsibility."

John B. Keane
Self praise is no praise.

Frank Casey

KERRY 3:7

heffo

Quote from: Gold on September 01, 2011, 06:37:23 PM

That game in 07 was an absolute walk in the park for Kerry. Dublin  came back a wee bit when Kerry took there foot off the gas but in reality the game was a completer non-event. Kerry blitzed the Dubs Killkenny style and then just did what they had to win the game.

Donaghy never faced the goal all day and Galvin made a boy outta that Dub half back who is now always on the bench after he tried the hard man act on him (Paul Flynn??)

Utter tripe.

Firstly the goal wasn't a point attempt that came back off the upright  - Killian Young played a lovely ball in from the left to O'Sullivan who buried it in the bottom corner.

Kerry led by one point in the 72nd minute after Donaghy rugby tackled Shane Ryan while through on goal.

Dublin had possession a point down in the 73rd minute when Cluxton kicked out of his hands straight to Gooch who passed to O'Sullivan to score the final point.

It was anything but a cakewalk to Kerry and if you had seen how animated their bench was (I was sitting next to Seamus Moynihan right behind their bench) you wouldn't have described it as you did above.

Mike Sheehy

I think the fact that the nordies and the anti-kerry , anti-Dublin crowd keep going on about the Kerry v Dublin rivalry , to the extent of starting threads just so they can have a go at it, is proof positive that it is the greatest rivalry. If Tyrone and Derry played an AI you wouldnt see Kerrymen or Dubs on here bashing the rivalry. The truth is we don't give a shite about your minor little scuffles. You, on the other hand will be fixated on everything to do with Kerry v Dublin.

Club Rossa

We wouldn't class Kerry as a rival Sheehy,a bit one sided to call you rivals.Derry would be our main rivals,and they have beaten us 5 times in cship football since Kerry got their only victory over us.

RogerMilla

Kiltane Belmullet, everything else is just young bucks kicking a ball  :D

Canalman

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 01, 2011, 06:50:16 PM

John B. Keane

Very similiar to a quote about the English I think penned by Rudyard Kipling.