Donegal's year perhaps?

Started by Farrandeelin, August 01, 2011, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

So far Antrim got 7 scores,Cavan 9,Tyrone 9,Derry 9 & Kildare 14 scores over 90mins  v them,  it's not hard too see why Donegal are in the Semi final with a defensive record like that.

While some don't like there style of play i have to say i was in awe of their display on Saturday night, the sheer workrate commitment,determination & leaders all over the pitch has to be admired.

It's going to take a special performance from Dublin/Tyrone to stop this Donegal side from reaching the All Ireland final.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

yellowcard

Whilst its great to see new counties competing at the business end of the season I have to say Donegal with their ultra defensive style are the exception. They seem to have an in built psyche that 12 players must be behind the ball for most of the game. Watching the game on Saturday I couldn't believe just how many men they filtered back. Whilst their organisation and work rate cannot be doubted, their style of play is horrible to watch. It's puke football in its purest form.

Its like trying to enter Fort Knox trying to unhinge that Donegal defence. Under normal circumstances I'd love to see Donegal win the title but I fear that if they do so this year, every club team in the country will imitate their style and bring Gaelic Football even closer to Rugby League.

fitzroyalty

Why do you's hate it? I think the intensity they bring to a game is unreal. You savour every score that we bit extra. I can say hands down that that Donegal/Kildare game was one of the best I'll ever witness in flesh.

EC Unique

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 02, 2011, 11:40:48 PM
Why do you's hate it? I think the intensity they bring to a game is unreal. You savour every score that we bit extra. I can say hands down that that Donegal/Kildare game was one of the best I'll ever witness in flesh.

Are you serious? 5-3 at half time. Have you been to many matches?

J70

Quote from: EC Unique on August 02, 2011, 11:46:07 PM

Yeah, the rest of the game is irrelevant.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

sheamy

Quote from: yellowcard on August 02, 2011, 10:17:51 PM
Whilst its great to see new counties competing at the business end of the season I have to say Donegal with their ultra defensive style are the exception. They seem to have an in built psyche that 12 players must be behind the ball for most of the game. Watching the game on Saturday I couldn't believe just how many men they filtered back. Whilst their organisation and work rate cannot be doubted, their style of play is horrible to watch. It's puke football in its purest form.

Its like trying to enter Fort Knox trying to unhinge that Donegal defence. Under normal circumstances I'd love to see Donegal win the title but I fear that if they do so this year, every club team in the country will imitate their style and bring Gaelic Football even closer to Rugby League.

That's spot on and my main opposition to it. It completely destroys club football where perhaps the attacking prowess ain't as great to pick apart the 12 man defence. However, I take nothing away from Donegal. They do what they have to and their willingness to battle and fight is an inspiration just as it was with Tyrone in 2003. I just hate watching it and hate the thought of all teams playing like that especially clubs.

It's a clever game for many reasons. It plays the percentages. If you have 12 men in front of the goal it's unlikely many teams will score goals. The only options to do so are hail mary balls. The Kildare 'goal' is one example and the Derry 'penalty' in Ulster final is another. However, both are low percentage events. So you largely eliminate goals and that gives you a great chance of winning. You only ever have to change tact if the other team gets a sizeable lead - another low percentage event. To be 2/3/4 points behind for most of the game is fine because it always means you are there or thereabouts with a chance in the last 10mins. This was the old Armagh philosophy and seems to be adopted in this case too. Again, totally fair enough and makes sense.

To my mind the natural evolution of this game is for the attacking team to bring 12 men into attack as well to match the 12 defenders. At this point the game does become rugby with a round ball. There is then no room for kick passing and hand passing dominates completely. From time to time you'll get the garryowen as well  :)

At the minute the only option to overcome it seems to be to mirror it and in this case you get the first half of the Kildare v Donegal game. It'll be interesting to see if anyone can take it apart in an attacking sense. Tyrone nearly did in the Ulster semi final, or more accurately did take it apart but failed to convert their chances. Only Tyrone or Kerry would be capabable at present I think.

I realise all games evolve. Soccer is played like this as is rugby (obviously). Just hate the thought of football going the same. Like everyone else I really enjoyed the second half of the game and also appreciate the tactical play involved. Just wouldn't like to see all games becoming like this. Even the first half was better than that Kerry v Limerick effort though!

What's the solution? 13 a side? 4-6 players in other half at all times? Is one even needed?

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on August 03, 2011, 12:16:10 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on August 02, 2011, 11:46:07 PM

Yeah, the rest of the game is irrelevant.

Fair enough J70 the rest of the game was of a much better standard than the first half but the first half counted for over 30% of the game time. It was one of the worst halfs ever played in croke park.

Do you not agree that

''that Donegal/Kildare game was one of the best I'll ever witness in flesh.''

is a bit crazy?

It was exciting yes but football standard was average to poor.

borderfox

The Donegal v Kildare game was only exciting because it was tight. This game was by no means a classic. It was far from a classic IMO. The first half was terrible. Donegal kicked a miserly 2 points in 36 minutes play.
Derry v Down in 1994 was a classic and probably one of the best games ever played. Donegal v Kildare was nowhere near that game.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

sheamy

Quote from: borderfox on August 03, 2011, 10:00:28 AM
The Donegal v Kildare game was only exciting because it was tight. This game was by no means a classic. It was far from a classic IMO. The first half was terrible. Donegal kicked a miserly 2 points in 36 minutes play.
Derry v Down in 1994 was a classic and probably one of the best games ever played. Donegal v Kildare was nowhere near that game.
Thing is that game wouldn't happen now borderfox. The highlight of that game (for neutrals and Down people!)  was Mickey Linden torturing defenders. However, it was usually one defender at a time. Even Mickey would have found it utterly impossible to play against the ultra defensive approach.

nrico2006

Quote from: JHume on August 02, 2011, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: borderfox on August 02, 2011, 01:29:28 PM
Whilst I would like Donegal to win, I dont think they will go all the way. I think they'll come unstuck when a team (Tyrone/Dublin) goes 5 or 6 points ahead and Donegal are forced to open up and attack leaving gaps at the back which the likes of Tyrone in particular would punish and pick them off on the break.

Tyrone led by 5 in the Ulster semi final, and Donegal reeled them in.

They are currently playing a bit like Meath in the 90s - they refuse to accept they're beaten.

Reeled them in?  Donegal got a lucky break towards the end of the game which gave them a win in a game which they were second best.  I honestly can't see it happening again if the two sides meet.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JHume

Donegal converted two goal chances against Tyrone, a team that didn't create a single goal chance against them.

That hardly constitutes a lucky break - both goals were particularly well taken and we've seen several teams fail to goal in similar situations in the weeks since.

In saying that, I'd prefer to play Dublin than Tyrone in the semi-final. Having beat them twice this year already, Tyrone will be forewarned about Donegal.

If the Dubs beat the 3-time All-IReland champions and are looking to a dream final against Kerry, the hype will lull them into a false sense of complacency.

EC Unique

Quote from: JHume on August 03, 2011, 10:45:55 AM
Donegal converted two goal chances against Tyrone, a team that didn't create a single goal chance against them.That hardly constitutes a lucky break - both goals were particularly well taken and we've seen several teams fail to goal in similar situations in the weeks since.

In saying that, I'd prefer to play Dublin than Tyrone in the semi-final. Having beat them twice this year already, Tyrone will be forewarned about Donegal.

If the Dubs beat the 3-time All-IReland champions and are looking to a dream final against Kerry, the hype will lull them into a false sense of complacency.

I might be wrong but I thought O'Niell was in on goal once with a good chance but had his shot well blocked by the Keeper.

If Tyrone beat Dublin I would think they would beat Donegal well. Playing Tyrone in Croke Park in an All-Ireland semi is a complely different game and one Donegal would not be fit for.

nrico2006

Quote from: JHume on August 03, 2011, 10:45:55 AM
Donegal converted two goal chances against Tyrone, a team that didn't create a single goal chance against them.

That hardly constitutes a lucky break - both goals were particularly well taken and we've seen several teams fail to goal in similar situations in the weeks since.

They were well taken but were also against the run of play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2011, 10:36:43 AM
Quote from: JHume on August 02, 2011, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: borderfox on August 02, 2011, 01:29:28 PM
Whilst I would like Donegal to win, I dont think they will go all the way. I think they'll come unstuck when a team (Tyrone/Dublin) goes 5 or 6 points ahead and Donegal are forced to open up and attack leaving gaps at the back which the likes of Tyrone in particular would punish and pick them off on the break.

Tyrone led by 5 in the Ulster semi final, and Donegal reeled them in.

They are currently playing a bit like Meath in the 90s - they refuse to accept they're beaten.

Reeled them in?  Donegal got a lucky break towards the end of the game which gave them a win in a game which they were second best.  I honestly can't see it happening again if the two sides meet.

Donegal were easily the better team in the second half. Tyrone were far better in the first. We'll see all right if we meet again, but I can't see Donegal starting so nervously again the next day. That said, I'm perfectly fine with us being written off. We were underdogs according to many here and in the press in all three of our most recent games.