The most baffling refereeing decission ever?

Started by upmonaghansayswe, July 28, 2011, 12:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upmonaghansayswe

Just after attending a Monaghan Reserve Div 1 Championship Final. The referee awarded a contentious 21 yard free in for a pick up off the ground. This decision was contested by one of the defenders, who called the referee a bollocks!!. The ref then changed his mind and upgraded the freekick to a penalty!.. (which was scored, with 4 points being the winning margain!). Is this provided for in the GAA rulebook??.. Confused!.

BTW, the ref explained the situation as Ive outlined it to one of the managers after the match who was as bewildered as we were up in the stand!..

boojangles

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 28, 2011, 12:15:47 AM
Just after attending a Monaghan Reserve Div 1 Championship Final. The referee awarded a contentious 21 yard free in for a pick up off the ground. This decision was contested by one of the defenders, who called the referee a bollocks!!. The ref then changed his mind and upgraded the freekick to a penalty!.. (which was scored, with 4 points being the winning margain!). Is this provided for in the GAA rulebook??.. Confused!.

BTW, the ref explained the situation as Ive outlined it to one of the managers after the match who was as bewildered as we were up in the stand!..

Sure referees can do what they like. But in this case he is wrong. He should have booked or sent the player off for Verbal abuse but the free should have stood.

David McKeown

I thought it could only be moved to a 13 metre free. Mind you in the last three or 4 years I have seen the following bizzare decisions.

1. A forward receive a straight red card for what the ref called deliberate and persistent square ball.

2. A booking for lifting the ball off the ground during which the ref said "if you don't know the basic skills this will soon teach you.

3. A ref move a free kick in because of descent from the crowd in the stand. The first three all from the same ref

4. An inter county ref move a free kick from approximately 55 yards out on the sideline onto the 13m line in front of the nets for descent. When asked after the match why he responded "in accordance with playing rule 4.1 when a free kick is to be moved for descent in injury time it must be moved as far as possible"

5. Joe Sheridan's "goal"

We also had ref about 6 weeks ago who had the score wrong by 2 points at ht and refused to change it and also waved play on for every foul if either team had an advantage. So if the team that had committed the foul had an advantage he shouted out "play on theres an advantage there"
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

highorlow

With that kind of knee jerk reaction the defender must have been right. Is it any wonder they get locked into car boots.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

screenexile

Had a crap referee the other night who

1. failed to give a penalty when both attacker and defender lay prostrate on the 6 yard line (in the 6th Minute of injury time at the end of the game with the attacking team losing by a point)
2. he stopped play about 4 times for injury and then resumed with a free to the team in possession (my understanding is this should be a hop ball)
3. then with about 3 minutes to go in extra time (the game was a draw) he gave a hop ball on the 21 yard line. Our FF is a big lad well capable of winning the ball and about 3 inches taller than the man he's standing beside. The ref lines up opposite the 2 and then throws the ball 10 yards up the pitch to 2 lads not expecting it.
4. The defending team won the ball from that and he blew it up 3 minutes before the end of extra time and said "let somebody else referee you crying bastards... DRAW!"

Canalman

Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2011, 09:06:08 AM

1. failed to give a penalty when both attacker and defender lay prostrate on the 6 yard line (in the 6th Minute of injury time at the end of the game with the attacking team losing by a point)
2. he stopped play about 4 times for injury and then resumed with a free to the team in possession (my understanding is this should be a hop ball)
3. then with about 3 minutes to go in extra time (the game was a draw) he gave a hop ball on the 21 yard line. Our FF is a big lad well capable of winning the ball and about 3 inches taller than the man he's standing beside. The ref lines up opposite the 2 and then throws the ball 10 yards up the pitch to 2 lads not expecting it.
4. The defending team won the ball from that and he blew it up 3 minutes before the end of extra time and said "let somebody else referee you crying b**tards... DRAW!"

Seems to me that bar 4 (and he was probably morally right there) that the ref was right.

Afaik, lying prostrate on the ground is not grounds for a free.

Screenexile,  read the rules of the game.

mylestheslasher

In the Cavan Donegal game in the championship this year Marty Duffy awarded Cavan a free, Donegal player gave dissent and  he moved it forward 10 meters. Then there was some other verbals, presumably from a Cavan player and he moved the balll back 10 meters to where the original foul took place. Never seen that done before!

Bingo

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 28, 2011, 12:15:47 AM

You forgot to mention that he evened it up with 5 to go when a forward made his way into the box, lined up a defender, jumped into him and let a roar out of him that was heard all over the place as he fell to the ground.

But yes the first decision was a strange one but it was a 14 yard free for a pick up in large square, not a 21 yard free.

amallon

I a reserve game a good few years ago the opposition were awarded a 50.  The ref then went and sat the ball down on the 21 yard line.  When we asked him what he was doing he said its a 50.  We had to explain to him that 50's are usally taken a bit further out the field.  Eventually he agreed too.  He made some other crazy decisions during the game and afterwards we came to the conclusion that he did the game for a bet and couldn't have been a real ref.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2011, 09:06:08 AM

4. The defending team won the ball from that and he blew it up 3 minutes before the end of extra time and said "let somebody else referee you crying b**tards... DRAW!"

Was the ref not right with number 2. If he stops play for an injury it's essentially a free for the team which had posession. Although they can't kick for a score.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Canalman

Norf Tyrone, of course the referee was right. "Indirect" free to team in possession when referee stopped game for the injury.

Boycey

Was also at that game last night and as Bingo says it was a 14 yard free not a 21, I'd not be sure of the rules but in my opinion if the defender did call him a bollix I'd have little sympathy for him. Like all good refs he evened it up 5 mins later with an equally "soft" decision at the other end..

AQMP

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2011, 10:13:31 AM
In the Cavan Donegal game in the championship this year Marty Duffy awarded Cavan a free, Donegal player gave dissent and  he moved it forward 10 meters. Then there was some other verbals, presumably from a Cavan player and he moved the balll back 10 meters to where the original foul took place. Never seen that done before!

Should he not have been moving it (back and forward) 13m??

mylestheslasher

Quote from: AQMP on July 28, 2011, 11:18:38 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2011, 10:13:31 AM

Should he not have been moving it (back and forward) 13m??

He should have but I used a calibrated rule to check and it was actually 10m both ways.