The Irish Open Killarney 2011

Started by laoislad, July 26, 2011, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Quotehow much are tickets for it

I got a family season ticket for 2 adults and 2 kids for the four days for €75 - Good value I feel. It's 25 or 30 per day at the weekend I think

Shamrock Shore

I'm in Killarney tomorrow. May head in. Never been to a golfing tournament before.

I'll be the big gobshite at a par 5 yelling "GET IN DAH HOLE" as the lads tee off.

Declan

QuoteI'll be the big gobshite at a par 5 yelling "GET IN DAH HOLE" as the lads tee off.

Must remember to bring me tricolour to hand it to Padraig when he wins  ;)

whitegoodman

Decent enough show about Darren last night on the BBC, seems genuine enough sort of guy, loves his beer and the 2 kids are his main priority.

Them golfers have some life of it, big site to build the new house in portrush, porsche and range rover sitting out the front, if only i could improve that extra wee 95% i could be like that!!!

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on July 27, 2011, 12:05:41 PM
I've done Maybin and Michael Campbell £2ew.

£316 back off PP for Clarke last week has reinstated my love of golf long shots!

Campbell really is a long shot, he started to make cuts again after a huge slump but far too frigile for my liking.  He is as likely to go and shoot 2 65's as he is 85's

dillinger

Putting £4 on Rory and Ross Fisher, £2 e/w Maybin to finish in top 10 at 11/1.Not a big punter as you can see. :)

glens abu

Rory started well -3 after 8 holes,they better not let him get too far in front.

keeping an eye on things

See Rory has been having a bit of banter on twitter with some radio dude re course management

ExiledGael

Strong words from McIlroy. Probably ill advised.

Rory McIlroy follows opening 70 at Irish Open with bust-up on Twitter
Further proof that Rory McIlroy's US Open honeymoon may well be over arrived in cyberspace rather than on the course at the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. McIlroy used Twitter to enter a fierce row with Jay Townsend, a former professional golfer turned commentator, after the latter questioned the 22-year-old's tactical approach at the Irish Open.
Townsend, commentating for the tournament's world feed, was scathing after McIlroy first found a fairway bunker then hooked a shot into water as he racked up a double-bogey six at the 18th hole.
Townsend hardly held back. "McIlroy's course management was shocking," he tweeted. A subsequent post referred to: "Some of the worst course management I have ever seen beyond under 10 boys golf competition."
Within this was an obvious dig at McIlroy's caddie, JP Fitzgerald. Townsend claimed McIlroy "should hire Stevie Williams, as I thought JP allowed some shocking course management today", in a reference to the newly available former bag man of Tiger Woods.
Townsend has expressed reservations about Fitzgerald before, including the caddie's role in McIlroy's collapse in the final round of this year's Masters.
On this occasion, if the intention was to trigger a reaction from McIlroy then Townsend succeeded. "Shut up ... You're a commentator and a failed golfer, your opinion means nothing!" McIlroy replied. When Townsend said he stood by his remarks, McIlroy added: "Well, I stand by my caddie."
McIlroy later said: "He's been having a go at JP every now and again and this was the first time I've responded – it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Now I've blocked him on Twitter so I won't be reading anything more."
It would be a wild overstatement to suggest McIlroy's image is already on the wane. He engaged impressively and amiably with spectators during a question and answer session in the afternoon, even making jokes about the intrigue surrounding his relationship – or otherwise – with the tennis player Caroline Wozniacki.
Nonetheless, McIlroy has become the latest in a clutch of sportspeople to react badly to public criticism. The wider issue is how he has been treated just lately, which is harsher than in the immediate aftermath of his stunning US Open victory.
The coverage of comments made by McIlroy – clearly through frustration – following his final round at the Open hinted that, for some, a halo had slipped.

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 28, 2011, 07:39:26 PM
The coverage of comments made by McIlroy – clearly through frustration – following his final round at the Open hinted that, for some, a halo had slipped.
How melodramatic.

Groucho

As Darren Clarke already said......some people need to get a life ::)
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

INDIANA

Quote from: Groucho on July 28, 2011, 11:57:31 PM

You reckon- maybe rory needs to grow up and stop acting like a child.

haranguerer

Initially thought so as well, but when read the story it seems he was sticking up for his caddy, which makes it a bit more honourable imo

Bingo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 29, 2011, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: Groucho on July 28, 2011, 11:57:31 PM

You reckon- maybe rory needs to grow up and stop acting like a child.

He standing up for his bagman, most important person he has close to him and person he has to  trust 100%. He actually showing some balls and fronting this person, it seems to come from a long period of cricticism aimed at his caddy since the Masters.

Overthebar!

Mon Paul Cutler. should have back him at 300-1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!