Sam 2011 - Form Guide

Started by Orangemac, July 11, 2011, 11:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair enough point there heffo, not the Dubs' fault they're at such seemingly short odds (apart from those Dubs that are already betting the house on their team  ;) ), though PP has the ultimate discretion in the odds they post.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dont Matter

I think having Dublin as favorites is fair. If Tyrone for example had all their games at home then they'd be second favorites or favorites. Plus having referees favour you in 50/50 decisions should be an advantage.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

heffo

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 12, 2011, 12:54:46 PM
I think having Dublin as favorites is fair. If Tyrone for example had all their games at home then they'd be second favorites or favorites. Plus having referees favour you in 50/50 decisions should be an advantage.

You're a bitter little man

Dont Matter

Quote from: heffo on July 12, 2011, 01:03:31 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on July 12, 2011, 12:54:46 PM

You're a bitter little man

I'm just speaking the truth.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2011, 12:06:08 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 12, 2011, 12:04:27 PM
wouldn't fear any of those teams apart from Kerry of Course and Cork the rest we'd beat Handily enough

Congratulations. Where did you move to?

MWWSI 2017

PAULD123

Quote from: mup on July 12, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on July 12, 2011, 10:12:08 AM
Form rankings are a load of tosh when they are based mostly on provincial matches. Ulster is highly competitive and Munster totally not. Also playing conditions vary hugely from May to September. Why are Kildare ahead of Dublin. Dublin are the provincial champions and beat Kildare on the way to that title. Precisely what criteria is being used to judge that Tyrone are not as good as Dublin or Kildare when there is no basis for the comparison?

This is a waste of time because we don't have an open round-robin championship. Sure if Kildare lose to Meath then Meath become top 5 and Kildare move to bottom of the pack. It is silly to publish form rankings based on a knock-out competition that all the teams haven't even taken part in yet.

Its fairly obvious at this stage that you have some sort of issue with Kildare because nearly all your recent posts are about how overrated Kildare are. Your posts are so obviously biased against them its funny.

In fairness, given my posts, it probably seems that I dislike Kildare. In truth I tell you honestly that I don't and in fact of all the supporters I have ever come across Kildare fans are the most hospitable, friendly and magnanimous in my experience. But I am fed up with the media hyping them and McGeeney up. There is a current media obsession with Kildare is ridiculous. Kildare have been pushed into third spot in the rankings based on no real substance.

Kildare have won nothing and under McGeeney have never beaten a 5-6 side, They have lost in championship football to 2008 to Cork, 2009 to Dublin & Tyrone, 2011 to Dublin and even 2010 to Down (Who are not exactly an established top side). So how can they be considered top 3? Under McGeeney they have lost every game against the established big guns in championship football and have also never had single successful league campaign

I am not saying Kildare fans are over-rating their team, it is other people, particularly journalists and broadcasters outside the county. So I am sorry if I seem bitter against Kildare or Kildare supporters, I am not at all. I am just fed up with a media that is trying to make them something they are not (well in my opinion anyway). I am sure Kildare supporters are much more realistic and know they have to actually prove they deserve the accolades by actually beating a top side, let alone winning a trophy.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on July 12, 2011, 01:16:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2011, 12:06:08 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 12, 2011, 12:04:27 PM
wouldn't fear any of those teams apart from Kerry of Course and Cork the rest we'd beat Handily enough

Congratulations. Where did you move to?

:D na haven't lost my mind yet Muppett . A poor attempt of a wind up on my part, i apologise must try harder ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

whitegoodman

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 12, 2011, 01:27:42 PM
Quote from: mup on July 12, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on July 12, 2011, 10:12:08 AM
Form rankings are a load of tosh when they are based mostly on provincial matches. Ulster is highly competitive and Munster totally not. Also playing conditions vary hugely from May to September. Why are Kildare ahead of Dublin. Dublin are the provincial champions and beat Kildare on the way to that title. Precisely what criteria is being used to judge that Tyrone are not as good as Dublin or Kildare when there is no basis for the comparison?

This is a waste of time because we don't have an open round-robin championship. Sure if Kildare lose to Meath then Meath become top 5 and Kildare move to bottom of the pack. It is silly to publish form rankings based on a knock-out competition that all the teams haven't even taken part in yet.

Its fairly obvious at this stage that you have some sort of issue with Kildare because nearly all your recent posts are about how overrated Kildare are. Your posts are so obviously biased against them its funny.

In fairness, given my posts, it probably seems that I dislike Kildare. In truth I tell you honestly that I don't and in fact of all the supporters I have ever come across Kildare fans are the most hospitable, friendly and magnanimous in my experience. But I am fed up with the media hyping them and McGeeney up. There is a current media obsession with Kildare is ridiculous. Kildare have been pushed into third spot in the rankings based on no real substance.

Kildare have won nothing and under McGeeney have never beaten a 5-6 side, They have lost in championship football to 2008 to Cork, 2009 to Dublin & Tyrone, 2011 to Dublin and even 2010 to Down (Who are not exactly an established top side). So how can they be considered top 3? Under McGeeney they have lost every game against the established big guns in championship football and have also never had single successful league campaign

I am not saying Kildare fans are over-rating their team, it is other people, particularly journalists and broadcasters outside the county. So I am sorry if I seem bitter against Kildare or Kildare supporters, I am not at all. I am just fed up with a media that is trying to make them something they are not (well in my opinion anyway). I am sure Kildare supporters are much more realistic and know they have to actually prove they deserve the accolades by actually beating a top side, let alone winning a trophy.

Would have to agree with all of this.  I like Kildare and I like McGeeny but they have a bit more to prove ( like Down ) before they can be considered a top 4 team.  If Tyrone and Kildare were to meet later on in the championship Id still be favouring Tyrone.  KIldare def a top 8 team, maybe even top 6 but top 4 is hard to argue

Dinny Breen

In fairness PaulD123 you fall into the same category as all of us with your county, no matter how hard we try to be objective it's impossible.

As for your comments on Kildare they are spot on, Kildare though are good copy and drama seems to follow them. Last year we had the Louth win, Dermot Earley Snr passing away, the demolition of Mordor and the the AIL Semi (square ball, a point waved wide, the last kick of the crossbar). This year already we've had GG's disallowed goal and the last second drama against Dublin.

Throw in the manager with a high profile who is not afraid to give opinions, articulate senior players in Dermot Earley and John Doyle , a population base of 250K where Gaelic football is number one and articles on Kildare will sell newspapers. Add this population to the fact that Kildare games tend to be good un's hence viewing figures would be pretty good.

Alas Kildare sells just wish it was due more to success than drama.

However our championship graph is rising, Kildare are close to a break through but it won't be this year.
#newbridgeornowhere

Armaghgeddon

All ranking systems are crap especially in the GAA.

Its quite difficult system I think the way rugby rank countries is best for GAA even though there would be the question mark over province competitiveness.

However, I would rank Kildare as a team that is rated appropiately. Even thoug they have not beaten a big team, they are a consistent team that are only beaten by 1-3 points. Down last year got the same treatment that Kildare recieved in 2008. Beaten by Wicklow yet had a stumbling string of performances in through the back door only to lose by a goal. In 3 years they have reached the last 8 and last 4.

Rav67

Quote from: heffo on July 12, 2011, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2011, 12:09:09 PM
Paddy Power has a slightly different take:

1. Kerry @ 2-1
2. Dublin @ 10-3  :o
3. Cork @ 7-2
4. Tyrone @ 8-1
5. Kildare @ 9-1
6. Donegal @ 12-1

As always the betting market is formed and adjusts based on money staked - sure you only have to read Dublin being talked up by people outside of Dublin to see where PP reach those odds and we'll have to listen to the usual suspects when we're knocked out in the quarters saying how Dublin were hyping themselves up blah blah..

The main reason for Dublin's short price is that they are already into the QFs.  I would still give Tyrone the best shot at stopping Kerry or Cork though.

bridgegael

they only team that will stop kerry or cork is down.  tyrone will fall at the quarters and im yet to be convinced by kildare. dublin are all hype.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

PAULD123

Quote from: bridgegael on July 12, 2011, 05:11:18 PM
they only team that will stop kerry or cork is down.  tyrone will fall at the quarters and im yet to be convinced by kildare. dublin are all hype.

I wish I shared your optimism.  ;D. On talent alone we could be competitive against Cork or Kerry. But with current injuries (especially Ambrose), loss of form of anyone who steps near midfield, and a continuity of poor kick outs, I think such a task will be a bit beyond us this year. In fact with the miserable conditions that are expected for Saturday I am not looking past the game with Antrim, football talent will be diminished and the hardest working team is more likely to win. If it is the torrential rain that I've seen predicted then the game will be a struggle for both teams and it will be a hard fought victory for the winner, which could be either team.

Having said that if we get past Antrim, the injuries clear up, Ambrose does a Lazarus, Benny's leg heals, the boys find some real fight and it's a glorious day for fast running, then we will always have a chance. Gotta believe, gotta hope!

DuffleKing

On talent alone you could compete with cork and kerry?

Shakes head

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 12, 2011, 02:15:15 PM
In fairness PaulD123 you fall into the same category as all of us with your county, no matter how hard we try to be objective it's impossible.

As for your comments on Kildare they are spot on, Kildare though are good copy and drama seems to follow them. Last year we had the Louth win, Dermot Earley Snr passing away, the demolition of Mordor and the the AIL Semi (square ball, a point waved wide, the last kick of the crossbar). This year already we've had GG's disallowed goal and the last second drama against Dublin.

Throw in the manager with a high profile who is not afraid to give opinions, articulate senior players in Dermot Earley and John Doyle , a population base of 250K where Gaelic football is number one and articles on Kildare will sell newspapers. Add this population to the fact that Kildare games tend to be good un's hence viewing figures would be pretty good.

Alas Kildare sells just wish it was due more to success than drama.

However our championship graph is rising, Kildare are close to a break through but it won't be this year.

If you were any use you'd be playing.