Antrim v Down

Started by knockitdown, July 10, 2011, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knockitdown

Don't really think this a bad draw for either team. Down will probably start as slight favourites. Anyone know the last time these teams played eachother in a championship game?

imtommygunn

I think it was 2000. Antrim's first win in the c'ship since 1982 or so. Played a few times in 90s with Down winning comfortably each time. (If it wasn't 2000 it was 99)

Down would have to be strong favourites for this. Antrim will beat no-one playing like they did yesterday however I'm hoping for a lot of improvement. Is this next saturday?

Oldhacker

Antrim beat Down by three points in a thunderstorm at Casement in 2000. Down were going through a woeful spell and big Gregory McCartan, our best player of the era, missed a penalty. Benny played for the minors and made his debut for the seniors as a sub as well. The previous year, Down beat Antirm by four or five points n Newry

Gold

Yeah Down beat Antrim in Newry on a real sunny day in 1999. Antrim were never in it that day frees from Madden and a sideline from Peter McCann is all i remember.

The next year it was sunny during the minor game but then the deluge came. Sean McGreevy was immense that day as was Kevin Brady and Kevin Doyle of Cargin. Sheeny McQuillen kicked frees for fun and Joe Quinn broke ball after ball with his fit and ciaran whelan gloves before McCartan could catch.

It was the first time i'd ever heard a chant of "Ant-rim, Ant-rim" during a game as we'd always been a team to play of no intensity and were never close in championship games.

Great day.

Down are beatable--our forwards (well Tomas and Loughrey) have searing pace that Down's backs will find trouble with. If we break through and get a few goals we've a chance.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

The Worker

any time/venue set for this one yet?

Blowitupref

Quote from: The Worker on July 10, 2011, 10:23:45 PM
Antrim at home, throw in time will be set tomorrow.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

passedit

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2011, 10:32:29 PM
Quote from: The Worker on July 10, 2011, 10:23:45 PM
Antrim at home, throw in time will be set tomorrow.

If Down don't win this by 6+ they have no errand togging out against Cork. I think they will though.
Don't Panic

ck

I actually think Antrim have a chance here. This will be their 3rd c/ship game in Casement this summer. I think they are now ripe for a big win. Down havent been firing.

snoopdog

no dis respect to Clare Leitrim or Antrim, but down do not fire against so called smallr teams, i dont know why, maybe its arrogance.
might be no bad thing getting beat by Antrim save us the humiliation of cork the following week.
Imagine downs midfielsd without Gordon and Rodgers against Cork. eaten alive.

antrimlad

Quote from: ck on July 11, 2011, 08:11:56 AM
I actually think Antrim have a chance here. This will be their 3rd c/ship game in Casement this summer. I think they are now ripe for a big win. Down havent been firing.

Going by the performance on Saturday there I would doubt it to be honest. Antrim are too predictable imo.

SHEEDY

Quote from: snoopdog on July 11, 2011, 10:55:00 AM
no dis respect to Clare Leitrim or Antrim, but down do not fire against so called smallr teams, i dont know why, maybe its arrogance.
might be no bad thing getting beat by Antrim save us the humiliation of cork the following week.
good job your not giving any teamtalks during the week. talk about negative. if down do beat antrim they will give cork a game, but first lets concentrate on antrim.
nil satis nisi optimum

fitzroyalty

Is there any county in Ireland more cocky than Down?

SHEEDY

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 11, 2011, 01:16:58 PM
no  ;)
nil satis nisi optimum

snoopdog

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 11, 2011, 01:12:46 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 11, 2011, 10:55:00 AM
good job your not giving any teamtalks during the week. talk about negative. if down do beat antrim they will give cork a game, but first lets concentrate on antrim.
probably more realistic than negative.

AZOffaly

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 11, 2011, 01:18:45 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 11, 2011, 01:16:58 PM
no  ;)

Cork. A Cork man with an inferiority complex thinks he's only a little bit better than everyone else.

Kerry people are very cocky about football for some reason, but not the players so much. The players tend to go the cute hoor approach, while the fans are in the 'Yerra we'll wait for the final' camp.