Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, July 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky Mc Guigan

Quote from: naka on July 11, 2011, 09:22:22 PM
Quote from: under the bar on July 11, 2011, 02:50:41 PM
Armagh county board will do well to shift 100 tickets for this one.  Annihilation on the cards.
Why don't you feck off
If we get put of aughrim which I expect to
We will be ready for you boys
You are like we were in 2006 hoping to role back to years

In your haste to get your wee dig in, methinks you have made a few little errors. Calm heads are called for when the pressure is on ;D

tyrone86

Fair play fuzz, good analysis. Not to be a pedant, but neither Joey or Penrose were subs in 03. The youngest on that panel would have been John Devine, Sean Cavanagh and Dermy Carlin. All of those guys along with Mark Donnelly and Tommy were on the 2001 minor winning side.

PAULD123

Very interesting comments here, thanks for taking my question seriously (it could easily have sounded like a wind up)

The thing is, as long as Dooher, Mugsy, Gormly, Jordan and McGuigan are there you can slot in a new young lad and he looks great, looks like the future is secured. Many young skilful lads look fantastic when they are the additional skilful players to the core group of top guys. But when you take away those top guys and all that is left are these young players, often they don't look so good anymore.

Peter Harte looks a real talent now, but if you remove McGuigan, Dooher and Mugsy and instead tell Harte that he is now the main man, now the leader, and has to be the guy the new lads look to, will he be able to produce performances that those guys have done for a decade?

Anyway Sounds like that is the lines you guys are thinking along anyway. Don't think Tyrone will end up in the wilderness like Down did but could just be a fallow spell for a while. As for this year Do you think Dooher, SON, Mugsy, & McGuigan can last a whole summer at full tilt? If so, when do you think they will no longer be able to cut it and have to call it a day?

tyrone86

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 14, 2011, 04:15:17 PM
Very interesting comments here, thanks for taking my question seriously (it could easily have sounded like a wind up)

The thing is, as long as Dooher, Mugsy, Gormly, Jordan and McGuigan are there you can slot in a new young lad and he looks great, looks like the future is secured. Many young skilful lads look fantastic when they are the additional skilful players to the core group of top guys. But when you take away those top guys and all that is left are these young players, often they don't look so good anymore.

Peter Harte looks a real talent now, but if you remove McGuigan, Dooher and Mugsy and instead tell Harte that he is now the main man, now the leader, and has to be the guy the new lads look to, will he be able to produce performances that those guys have done for a decade?

Anyway Sounds like that is the lines you guys are thinking along anyway. Don't think Tyrone will end up in the wilderness like Down did but could just be a fallow spell for a while. As for this year Do you think Dooher, SON, Mugsy, & McGuigan can last a whole summer at full tilt? If so, when do you think they will no longer be able to cut it and have to call it a day?

I can see your point and you may be right to an extent. If we're being brutally honest, the only men that weren't there in 2003 and would be considered as certain starters if everyone was fit would be the 2 McMahon's and Penrose.

But, I'm not massively concerned for the next 4 or 5 years and I think we'll be contenders for a few years yet. Of the 3  guys you named, we had one for a half in Longford and he was replaced by another of them  at half time and the other played no part at all. Petey Harte did not have the most star studded supporting cast on Saturday evening but he certainly looked good (along with a few others) in what appeared to be the most inexperienced of Tyrone attacks for a few years.

Mickey Harte is a very difficult man to second guess, but it would appear that Tyrone's inability to win a 3rd Ulster in a row will be the catalyst for the passing of the torch to the new guys. The fact remains that Ulster is still the most difficult province to win and while the 2003 players continued to win it there was little incentive to take any sort of radical action in terms of shaking up the team. It looks like the first steps of that process began on Saturday evening with 5 of the 03/05 crew omitted. When you also consider that he stated in the Irish News that Dooher could be used as an impact sub all signs seem to be pointing in that direction. On Saturday 10 of the starting team were 28 or under along with another 3 of the subs that came on - that's certainly a step in the right direction for the future.

If you look at 2008, Dooher was the only one of the men you mentioned that was at anything like full tilt - McGuigan was only coming back after the eye injury, Mugsy spent the summer on the bench and Stevie only made it back for the final. It was also the year that Mickey had to shake things up a bit in attack for various reasons and Tommy McGuigan, Martin Penrose and Colm McCullagh (none of them exactly household names at the time) all made their mark and Sean Cavanagh reinvented himself as a Full Forward. After a few initial teething difficulties that year didn't turn out too badly.

tyrone86

Mugsy gone from the panel according to www.teamtalkmag.com and John Fogarty on twitter

ONeill

More negotiating needed there Mickey.

Strange timing unless he feels he's giving a lot for little return at his stage.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Big loss to the panel. He has the capability of turning a game on its head.

Fuzzman

He's our top goal scorer of all time I think according to that website we saw recently.

He would go for goals much more than Canavan would and in fairness I think he scored more than he missed.
Even the Dubs will miss him.

PatDaly

Blowitupref

I'm going to get in early with a prediction, Tyrone by 3-5pts i guess this game will be TV.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ardchieftain

Bring it on. A wee trip to enemy territory in store. It's been a while.

under the bar

Armagh to find themselves in a similar position as in 1984 when following a massacre by Tyrone they disappeared for a generation during which most forgot they even had a football team. Lambs to the slaughter    :) ;)

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: under the bar on July 16, 2011, 08:55:01 PM
Armagh to find themselves in a similar position as in 1984 when following a massacre by Tyrone they disappeared for a generation during which most forgot they even had a football team. Lambs to the slaughter    :) ;)

WUM ::)

Minder

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 16, 2011, 08:55:50 PM
Quote from: under the bar on July 16, 2011, 08:55:01 PM

WUM ::)

Historically, a really bad one too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ExcellentDriver

Tyrone to win, but I wouldn't put my Mortgage on it as Armagh are the masters at 'Hanging on' to teams then sneaking it in the end.

A lot depends on whether or not Mickey can get the right balance of Youth and Experience. We have a virtual Neverland of Young Lads coming through the Senior ranks, yet up until the game against Longford last week it was virtually the same XV every time.

Kyle Coney is the most high-profile young player, but in an Ardboe Shirt it hasn't been all good for him this Year so far. But if he has his Game Face on he is as good as anyone in the Country.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!