GAA jerseys questions

Started by Paddy Wan Kenobi, July 05, 2011, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy Wan Kenobi

For my first post I thought I'd post a query about modern GAA jerseys. How come O'Neill's are able to run the three stripes down the arms of nearly every shirt, don't Adidas have a patent on that?

armaghniac

Show us an example. If you look closely you'll see that O'Neills do not quite have 3 stripes. Like a Cross' player they haven't quite committed the foul.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Paddy Wan Kenobi

Don't the current Down, Dublin, Galway jerseys, just at the top of my head, clearly have three stripes?

fitzroyalty

O'Neill's shorts have three full stripes.

Bingo

A better question would be why O'Neills have practically a monopoly on it and bigger brands aren't allowed in.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 12:17:15 PM
A better question would be why O'Neills have practically a monopoly on it and bigger brands aren't allowed in.

Don't they have to Irish?  Azzurri seems counter intuitive but http://www.azzurri.ie/contact-us.php
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bingo

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 05, 2011, 12:28:04 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 12:17:15 PM

Don't they have to Irish?  Azzurri seems counter intuitive but http://www.azzurri.ie/contact-us.php

Well if O'Neills are making all their stuff in Ireland, then I'm Spartacus.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Paddy Wan Kenobi on July 05, 2011, 12:06:46 PM
http://www.ambernectar.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6344&start=20

Some answers here.

Don't think that site can count as answers. Seems to be a crowd of lads thinking they have all the answers but actually knowing f@$k all squared. 

One even says "A condition being that O'Neill's can only use the three stripes on their GAA gear and cannot sell it outside of Southern Ireland...." 

:D O'Neill's HQ in Strabane is on dodgy ground if that were true!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

squire_in_navy_slacks

bring in aussie rules style jersies or the ones good ould trevor giles used to wear.................they rocked

All of a Sludden

O'Neills can only sell the 3 striped jersey on the island of Ireland, if you are buying a jersey outside of Ireland it will have 2 stripes. They are marketed as International jersies. O'Neills started using the 3 stripe design a few years before adidas did and it has already been in court, nothing available on line as it was the early 80s but someone at the law library may get something on Adidas Sportschuhfabriken Adi Dasler KA -v- Charles O'Neill & Co. Ltd. [1983] ILRM 112

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

QuoteO'Neills can only sell the 3 striped jersey on the island of Ireland, if you are buying a jersey outside of Ireland it will have 2 stripes.

I stand corrected. They showed that it was a traditional route.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

kevmy

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 05, 2011, 12:53:15 PM
O'Neills can only sell the 3 striped jersey on the island of Ireland, if you are buying a jersey outside of Ireland it will have 2 stripes. They are marketed as International jersies. O'Neills started using the 3 stripe design a few years before adidas did and it has already been in court, nothing available on line as it was the early 80s but someone at the law library may get something on Adidas Sportschuhfabriken Adi Dasler KA -v- Charles O'Neill & Co. Ltd. [1983] ILRM 112

This is what I have heard previously, basic patent/copyright law says if you have come up with and are using a design/idea before a patent is filed you will generally be either allowed to use it or will be awarded compensation not to use it. I think the main issue in the case was the use to the 3 stripes in the North.

snoopdog

i can vaguely remember covering this in business law at College.
From what i remember Adidas sued o'Neills for the use of the 3 stripes, but O'Neills got away with it because they were only licensed to use it in Ireland. EG if you try to get an O neills jersey sent to you if you live abroad it will only have 2 stripes on it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Paddy Wan Kenobi on July 05, 2011, 12:06:46 PM
http://www.ambernectar.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6344&start=20

Some answers here.
Right up yo a point, they can use 3 stripes on playing gear in the north. check their website the Armagh jersey is sold with 3 stripes in Ireland and 2 outside.