3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on August 09, 2011, 11:27:19 AM
Given the politicians can only come up with rubbish (IMO) candidates so far, I'm all in favour of getting some "personality" to go for President. Unfortunately none mentioned so far fit the bill for me either, but I'm sure there must be some out there.

Some of the anti-Gay Byrne commentators have focused on him not being a politician, and thus not being qualified to be President. I think that's bull. You don't need to be a politician to be President, you need to be intelligent.

On a practical level you need to have some idea about legislation. That is crucial.

A bit of life experience and understanding of people would also be required in my view. Hard to get that from an ivory tower in Howth with your cravat fluttering in the breeze.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 09, 2011, 11:31:06 AM
Given the politicians can only come up with rubbish (IMO) candidates so far, I'm all in favour of getting some "personality" to go for President. Unfortunately none mentioned so far fit the bill for me either, but I'm sure there must be some out there.

Some of the anti-Gay Byrne commentators have focused on him not being a politician, and thus not being qualified to be President. I think that's bull. You don't need to be a politician to be President, you need to be intelligent.

On a practical level you need to have some idea about legislation. That is crucial.

A bit of life experience and understanding of people would also be required in my view. Hard to get that from an ivory tower in Howth with your cravat fluttering in the breeze.

Plenty of people have a good idea of how the legislature works, and wouldnt be long getting up to speed on all the practicalities.

Bogball XV

I thought he sold up and moved into an apartment in the four seasons (alongside Albert Reynolds)? 

Hound

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 09, 2011, 12:37:27 PM

I thought he sold up and moved into an apartment in the four seasons (alongside Albert Reynolds)?
Yeah, not sure where, but he's definitely moved somewhere on the southside.

Would have made a right packet on the sale of his house in Howth, but he also lost a right packet by investing in Anglo shares!

passedit

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 08, 2011, 06:39:06 PM
Why don't they just forget about an election and have all the Montrose muppets compete in one of their awful reality phone-in shows to decide who gets the gig.

If it has to be an RTÉ personality then I wish to officially launch the "Ted Walsh for the Áras" campaign.

Shortlist just tightened.

Don't Panic

Maguire01

Red C poll out - http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0811/presidentpoll.pdf

Interesting to see which party's voters are opting for Gay Byrne at this stage!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 11, 2011, 05:23:38 PM
Red C poll out - http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0811/presidentpoll.pdf

Interesting to see which party's voters are opting for Gay Byrne at this stage!

Ya seems Fianna Fáil's Gay Byrne is the peoples choice at the moment.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Gaybo was good at what he did.

Kevin Kilbane was good at what he did/does.

If that is all that is required to be President than lots of people here should run, though in my case I'd be safer walking. But I'd vote for Kilbane.

More seriously though this shows that the 'profession' that is politics is a sham. It has been for a long time and in most countries. Half way through Snouts in the Trough and Jebus I have to stop reading these books. The Snout O'Donohue epitomised the utter distain for the taxpayer that some (probably most) politicians and their officials have.

Just to show some balance, the bickering within FG for a Presidential nomination shows scant regard for the electorate or the office in question. SF aren't immune either consider the parachuting of Gerry Adams straight into the the leaders position in the Dáil despite years of hard work of some his predecessors there.

What we really need is a new system of Government.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

The way things are going, I'm surprised Jim Corr hasn't thrown his name into the mix yet.
Testing Accessibility

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on August 11, 2011, 06:28:50 PM

If that is all that is required to be President than lots of people here should run, though in my case I'd be safer walking. But I'd vote for Kilbane.

More seriously though this shows that the 'profession' that is politics is a sham. It has been for a long time and in most countries. Half way through Snouts in the Trough and Jebus I have to stop reading these books. The Snout O'Donohue epitomised the utter distain for the taxpayer that some (probably most) politicians and their officials have.

Just to show some balance, the bickering within FG for a Presidential nomination shows scant regard for the electorate or the office in question. SF aren't immune either consider the parachuting of Gerry Adams straight into the the leaders position in the Dáil despite years of hard work of some his predecessors there.

muppet i think gerry was the boss beforehand
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2011, 09:03:07 PM

I'm fairly sure Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin was the Dáil leader.

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 11, 2011, 09:10:45 PM

i refer my right honourable friend to the answer i gave some moments ago ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2011, 09:18:35 PM

Are you trying to be cryptic? Muppet referred to the leader in the Dáil.

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 11, 2011, 10:08:47 PM

will the stoops be trying to join with fianna fail again re the choice of presidential candidate

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2011, 10:30:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 11, 2011, 10:08:47 PM

will the stoops be trying to join with fianna fail again re the choice of presidential candidate
Good man, change the subject.