Do the GAA 'commemorate terrorists on an annual basis' in Northern Ireland?

Started by Farrandeelin, May 16, 2011, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 16, 2011, 09:20:14 PM
I saw this post on another forum!  ::) :o

I can guess what the other forum was, and I presume they are referring to the underage tournament held in the name of Bobby Sands.

Ulick

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2011, 09:21:39 PM

I can guess what the other forum was, and I presume they are referring to the underage tournament held in the name of Bobby Sands.

If you are referring to the one in West Belfast, that's a soccer tournament.

mylestheslasher

Hereiam

thejuice

I think a good, long drawn out discussion on this is due. Its been a while.

I wont partake in or even read it, I'll leave that up to those with the neck and the energy for it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Banana Man

The answer is a resounding yes - The Edward Carson trophy is played for in the grounds of stormont for the poc fada competition and he was certainly a terrorist - so yes

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ulick on May 16, 2011, 10:43:26 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2011, 09:21:39 PM

If you are referring to the one in West Belfast, that's a soccer tournament.

Sorry Ulick, I knew that. I should have said Joe Cahill. Isn't there some tournament in his name? Anyway, as others have said this has been done to death a hundred times.

PAULD123

Half the resounding names in GAA history are terrorists if you like to use the British Empirical view of history. As someone said define terrorist?

Personally I think honouring someone in a sporting context for events irrelevant to the sport is wrong. But honouring someone who has contributed to a sport should be done so without consideration of their activities which are irrelevant to the sport.

saffron sam2

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 17, 2011, 11:07:30 AM
Half the resounding names in GAA history are terrorists if you like to use the British Empirical view of history. As someone said define terrorist?

Personally I think honouring someone in a sporting context for events irrelevant to the sport is wrong. But honouring someone who has contributed to a sport should be done so without consideration of their activities which are irrelevant to the sport.

Agree with the bit in bold, but not the second part of your statement.

The Eoin O'Duffy stand?
The Michael Feeney Cup? (I made that up, I hope)

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Go home ref

Maybe they are referring to the hunger strike commemorations in Casement Park?

snoopdog

an underage tournament in the name of the young PSNI officer Ronan Kerr murdered in Omagh last month would be a good thing. After all he was a gael murdered by criminals

Leo

Good to see someone at last using the term "criminals" in the context of trhe blacguarding shisters masquarading as fdreedom fighters who over the years have pitilessly murdered our neighbours and friends.
Fierce tame altogether

Orior

Was Ghandi a criminal? What about Nissan Main Dealer Nelson Mandela?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Seamroga in exile

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"