Hogan Cup Final 2011 - St Colmans College, Newry (Down) v St Jarlaths, Tuam, (Ga

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 06, 2011, 04:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: redandblack4ever on April 09, 2011, 04:03:36 PM
I can't say enough about St. Jarlath's though. They deserved to win the game, they played the better football overall during the match. I'd definitely keep my eye on them for next year.

Yeah Jarlath's did well to drag themselves back into the game. It would have been easy for them to drop their heads early on after going 6 points down and the goalie conceding a horror goal. They probably did play the better football for long spells of the game but Colman's had that bit of experience near the end and Mooney won a few high balls which made the difference in the last 10 minutes. Ultimately had Jarlath's taken even one of their 3 or 4 good goal chances it would probably have gotten them over the line.

From a Galway perspective some promising young lads on that Jarlath's team that we will probably see with the minors this year. Looks like the ginger full-forward picked up a bad shoulder injury though near the end so that could rule him out for the forseeable. It usually benefits Galway down the line when Jarlath's can get their conveyor belt moving.

Brick Tamlin

Congrats to St Colmans, yet again they get there without having to fully empty the tank. To be honest it was fierce unlucky for Tuam, they played all the football, played their wee hearts out and gave it their all but ye could always sense that whenever the College wanted to take their heads out of their collective holes for the odd 5 minute stint they could easily pull away.
Back-2-back Hogan Cup winners reads nice all the same and they have been too long out of the limelight. Thought Mooney was the difference in the two teams, plain and simple. Can be devasting in patches, but can also be invisible too. The two Johnstons are quality players and should go on to bigger and better things whilst Niall Donnelly should make a senior full back if he stays on the straight and narrow.

Great credit to all up at Violet hill but especially to Declan Mussen, id credit him with alot more than what people give him. The man is doing great work up there and has been for many a year and these are the kind of days the guy deserves.

For Jarlaths Tuam, if alot of that team are eligible again next year then ive no doubt we wil see them back there again next year. Well done, you did your school, your families and counties proud.

PS - Abbey CBS are you watching.lol

Jinxy

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 09, 2011, 05:08:48 PM
Congrats to St Colmans, yet again they get there without having to fully empty the tank. To be honest it was fierce unlucky for Tuam, they played all the football, played their wee hearts out and gave it their all but ye could always sense that whenever the College wanted to take their heads out of their collective holes for the odd 5 minute stint they could easily pull away.
Back-2-back Hogan Cup winners reads nice all the same and they have been too long out of the limelight. Thought Mooney was the difference in the two teams, plain and simple. Can be devasting in patches, but can also be invisible too. The two Johnstons are quality players and should go on to bigger and better things whilst Niall Donnelly should make a senior full back if he stays on the straight and narrow.

Great credit to all up at Violet hill but especially to Declan Mussen, id credit him with alot more than what people give him. The man is doing great work up there and has been for many a year and these are the kind of days the guy deserves.

For Jarlaths Tuam, if alot of that team are eligible again next year then ive no doubt we wil see them back there again next year. Well done, you did your school, your families and counties proud.

PS - Abbey CBS are you watching.lol

You can patronise them all you like but they were the better team for the majority of the game.
A bad goalkeeping error and a string of missed goal chances cost them dearly.
Colmans were blessed to win regardless of how full or empty their tank was.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Brick Tamlin

Apologies if i was coming across patronising, didnt mean to.
I think the better team lost today, and regardless of missed chances still think Tuam played the better football, had better performances across their team and really should have won.
Colmans played in fits and starts (as they have all year) and again never played to their true potential, hence the tank being half emptied. Wasnt belittling Tuams performance in any shape or form or meaning to be patronising.

PAULD123

I do agree Jarlath's were the better team, but St Colman's played like a team that refused to be beaten and came back with a determination that in the end Jarmath's just didn't have. Jarlath's played all the football but that shear determination not to lose rested with the lower performing team - St Colmans

I don't know what was wrong with the College today but I don't think it can all be credited to a very good display by Jarlath's. If they had played anything like their potenial I think the game would have been out of sight by half time. There was an abundance of wasted possession and passes misplaced by miles. Also the College put in too many marquee passes to the forward line when simpler posession movements wold have been better. In truth the College made it as easy as possible for Jarlath's with their bad passing and careless turnovers. I think in truth this St Colmans team is much better than the display today.

But what ever is said or what ever people think the fact is we have now won 8 titles compared to Jarlath's 12 (getting closer all the time) And we are now finally back-back champions.

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: Jinxy on April 09, 2011, 05:17:36 PM
You can patronise them all you like but they were the better team for the majority of the game.

*Points at score board.*

redandblackareback

Yes Brick you are being patronising although it wouldnt be like you  ::), also think the credit you are bestowing onto Mussen is a bit ott.. Ok so the man can run a team around tullymore in newcastle and get them fit, ffs any man and his dog could do that, Murray sets the gameplan, establishes the discipline, gets the team playing the football we all enjoyed watching and takes most of the football. I think as a previous poster already said Cathal Murray deserves a lot of praise, he took 2 st louis teams to consecutive finals, what have Kilkeel done since???

Well done to all involved in todays fantastic feat! Hope to see some wearing the red and black soon ;-)

imtommygunn

While I don't know the ins and outs of either of these 2 boys coaching cvs it has to be said that with kilkeel he had martin clarke which made his job a hell of a lot easier. That's not to take it away from him but kilkeel are unlikely to have seen a talent like that since.

Brick Tamlin

redandblackareback, please show me where else ive been patronising on this board if you will.
Dont think that the praise i bestowed upon Mussen was over the top or unwarranted at all. The man has done alot for various St Colmans teams down through the years and in my opinion it goes unnoticed for some reason.

dundrumite

Quote from: redandblackareback on April 09, 2011, 07:21:15 PM
Yes Brick you are being patronising although it wouldnt be like you  ::), also think the credit you are bestowing onto Mussen is a bit ott.. Ok so the man can run a team around tullymore in newcastle and get them fit, ffs any man and his dog could do that, Murray sets the gameplan, establishes the discipline, gets the team playing the football we all enjoyed watching and takes most of the football. I think as a previous poster already said Cathal Murray deserves a lot of praise, he took 2 st louis teams to consecutive finals, what have Kilkeel done since??? Well done to all involved in todays fantastic feat! Hope to see some wearing the red and black soon ;-)

Kilkeel had a freak bunch of superb footballers coming together at once. He also only took them to one Mac Rory final. Further to this they got to one the year after he left. I am not knocking the man as he and Declan Mussen have spear headed two Hogan title campaigns and fair play to both along with the other two men at the helm. I am arguing your claim Kilkeel have done nothing since he left and that he is the sole reason for this and your belittlement of Declan's role is far off the mark.

Whitehair

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 09, 2011, 07:45:34 PM
redandblackareback, please show me where else ive been patronising on this board if you will.
Dont think that the praise i bestowed upon Mussen was over the top or unwarranted at all. The man has done alot for various St Colmans teams down through the years and in my opinion it goes unnoticed for some reason.

Delighted from Deccy Mussen myself, a sound man, excellent teacher and working wonders with Cathal Murray. Long may it continue!

VHC AbĂș!

RandyDupree

At the end of the day the st ja's number 10 was miles above anyone else. Is he upper or lower 6th?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: RandyDupree on April 09, 2011, 09:24:56 PM
At the end of the day the st ja's number 10 was miles above anyone else. Is he upper or lower 6th?

Shane Walsh. Yeah he should be a brilliant player in time hopefully. Kicks equally well with both feet and has great vision. Mooney is excellent too but has a size and physique advantage as well.

RandyDupree

Is he upper or lower sixth?
Is he minor this year?
Is he minor next year?

ck

The northern schools are at a severe advantage in All-Ireland schools competitions. Not only do they stay at school a year longer but they also have "catholic" grammar school system which have large catchment areas taking in many club areas, therefore pulling in all of the best players. Compare that to the scondary school system in the south, where you simply attend the nearest school to you.
Congrats to St. Colmans regardless of the aforementioned.