explosion in omagh

Started by randomtask, April 02, 2011, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: stew on April 08, 2011, 02:09:08 AM
I wouldnt turn Peter Robinson into mother Theresa just yet, you talk about huge gestures, him walking into a Church whose congregation worships the same God he does and it is seen as this fantastic step forward, it's sad that his 'gesture' is seen in this light because it highlights just how backward the north and it's people are in some ways.

I will say that he is far more of a man than the rest of the bigots he has shacked up with politicially over the past few decades, they are still a collective of knuckle draggers and maybe the wifes unbelievable betrayal has made him a better human being, it would appear so.

Nobody is trying to turn him into Mother Teresa. He's merely been given his fair dues for this and other recent gestures.

Oraisteach

No, Stew, he's not nearing beatification just yet, but stepping into a Catholic church is a long way from "No Surrender, No Compromise."  Pity it had to happen as a result of a tragedy.

theskull1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 07, 2011, 10:46:37 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 07, 2011, 02:05:51 PM
I have just read Cardinal Sean Brady's speech/homily at the mass for Constable Kerr. He has gone some way to rehabilitating his image.
Well said Cardinal Brady.

I'm sorry but all I heard in Brady speech was hypocrisy.
Quote from: stew on April 08, 2011, 02:09:08 AM
I wouldnt turn Peter Robinson into mother Theresa just yet

Or absolve Cowardinal Brady. The public's reaction to this tradegy for the Kerr family circle is the what stands out here. I'd agree ...Good to see gestures like that from PR...the solidarity (nationalist & unionist standing together) helps us move up the evolutionary chain
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Dont want to take away from this thread in any way but this bit about Robinson is really starting to get on my goat. It wasnt that long ago that he and his cohort Paisley snr were inciting people through their words to carry out attrocities against the Catholic community.

Just because his wife did what she did doesnt change my opinion of him, he may have mellowed but I will always think of the people that died during to his rantings and ravings in the past.

ludermor

Do you have the same feelings when Gerry Kelly speaks?

NAG1

Gerry Kelly made no secret of it, I am by no means a SF sympathiser so dont mistake that.

My problem is that under the banner of Democracy they were inciting people to hatred and acts of violence. Thats all my point was.

Not the place for this discussion, but just couldnt let the Robinson love in continue without my opinion, which is what here is all about.

AZOffaly

Stokes' father among three arrested amid crime crackdown

Three people have been arrested after ammunition was seized in a pub ordered to remove a 40ft banner barring the Queen of England during her state visit to Ireland.

A source confirmed that pub owner John Stokes – father of Celtic player Anthony Stokes – is among those arrested on suspicion of possessing firearms.

Last month, a judge ordered Mr Stokes to remove his controversial sign from outside the Players Lounge in the north Dublin suburb of Fairview, and not to erect another one.

Gardaí raided the pub at around 10am as part of an operation targeting dissident republican and organised criminal activity in the capital.

A handful of bullets found in a shed at the back of the pub have been taken away for ballistic tests and it understood Mr Stokes was arrested at the scene.

A number of private houses were also searched in the Donaghmede area in a crackdown involving more than 100 officers, including the force's special detective unit.

Another two people - a man and a woman - were also arrested during the operation and all three are being detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

They are being questioned at Store Street, Bridewell and Whitehall Garda stations.

It is understood the raids are linked to an investigation into a long-running turf war between the Real IRA and drugs gangs.

The bitter rivals are battling for supremacy in a protection racket targeting pubs and clubs.

Last July, three men, including a doorman and two customers, were gunned down outside the Players Lounge.

Cocaine with a street value of about €500 was also recovered during searches this morning.

The two men arrested, aged 54 and 46, and the woman, aged 55, can be held for up to three days.

Mr Stokes, 54, said last month that he reluctantly agreed to take down the massive anti-Queen banner after a senior Garda threatened to object to his application for late licences.

The publican said the livelihoods of his 12 staff members would be at risk if he did not get the licence extensions.

But outside Dublin District Court he vowed to continue his protest against the Queen.

Last night, it was confirmed that the state visit to Ireland will take in a tour of several historically significant sites including Croke Park – the scene of a massacre by British troops – and Dublin's Garden of Remembrance – which honours all those who fought for Irish freedom.

The trip, from May 17 to 20, will be the first by a British sovereign to the Republic of Ireland.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/stokes-father-among-three-arrested-amid-crime-crackdown-500463.html#ixzz1IwBNGLwy

Wow. That's going to make life difficult for Anthony Stokes in Glasgow. Maybe that sign wasn't a 'bit of craic'.

The Iceman

I have just read Cardinal Sean Brady's speech/homily at the mass for Constable Kerr. He has gone some way to rehabilitating his image.

You're not a bit sorry Myles because when you opened the link to read the speech thats all you were looking for. Don't hijack yet another thread. You and skull go and play your fiddles in the religion thread.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

HiMucker

Quote from: NAG1 on April 08, 2011, 01:08:40 PM
Gerry Kelly made no secret of it, I am by no means a SF sympathiser so dont mistake that.

My problem is that under the banner of Democracy they were inciting people to hatred and acts of violence. Thats all my point was.

Not the place for this discussion, but just couldnt let the Robinson love in continue without my opinion, which is what here is all about.
NAG1, I know were your coming from, I'm not saying i forgive him and forget the hatred and violence that he stirred up.  All I was trying to say, is that we talk about moving forward as a community on both sides, but it was always hard to take anything politicians said seriously whist you held views of their bigoted nature.  Whether that be listening to Peter Robinson, or protestants listening to Gerry Adams ( whom I don't see as a bigot, but we must recognise that a large portion of the other side of the community do).  I think alot of gestures he has made has come about since the scandal about his wife and I feel less guarded now  when he is speaking as a politician.  There is no point in talking about moving forward if we don't trust the leaders who we have elected try and do just that.

SHEEDY

Quote from: The Iceman on April 08, 2011, 02:24:17 PM

You're not a bit sorry Myles because when you opened the link to read the speech thats all you were looking for. Don't hijack yet another thread. You and skull go and play your fiddles in the religion thread.

all i heard was hypocrsy as well and i didnt even go looking for it.
nil satis nisi optimum

muppet

Well all I heard is what I wanted to hear and I didn't even hear it.
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: HiMucker on April 08, 2011, 03:12:12 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 08, 2011, 01:08:40 PM

NAG1, I know were your coming from, I'm not saying i forgive him and forget the hatred and violence that he stirred up.  All I was trying to say, is that we talk about moving forward as a community on both sides, but it was always hard to take anything politicians said seriously whist you held views of their bigoted nature.  Whether that be listening to Peter Robinson, or protestants listening to Gerry Adams ( whom I don't see as a bigot, but we must recognise that a large portion of the other side of the community do).  I think alot of gestures he has made has come about since the scandal about his wife and I feel less guarded now  when he is speaking as a politician.  There is no point in talking about moving forward if we don't trust the leaders who we have elected try and do just that.

Good response, I get your point and take it on board. I agree to a certain extent with what you said and agree to move forward we have to trust but was just slightly turning me that because his wife cheated on him that he was suddently a stand up guy. I think he has moved forward also in recent years which is encouraging.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on April 08, 2011, 02:24:17 PM

Since you know my every thought it is odd you did not know that I heard the speech relayed on the radio and not on some internet link. As it turns out I agree with the content of what he said but I also see the hypocrisy of an evil protector of paedophilles calling other men evil at a funeral. That probably sits ok with the herd you belong to but not with me.

The Iceman

this is not the time nor the place.
shame on you Myles
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on April 09, 2011, 10:15:26 PM
this is not the time nor the place.
shame on you Myles

It takes 2 to tango Iceman.