An Dún v Muineachán - 19/03/11 - Páirc Esler

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 15, 2011, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on March 18, 2011, 04:42:25 PM
McCoys pub is on the way to the ground and would be handy but I'm sure 5Sams will be on in a minute trying to get you to spend a few quid in Ballyholland club.   ;)

Yep Aidan...salubrious surroundings, cheap pints...if anyone needs directions let me know..5 mins drive from the ground..
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

QuoteYep Aidan...salubrious surroundings, cheap pints...

perhaps, but the people are weird.   :D
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gael85

Down team to play Monaghan 2011-03-18 21:14:00

1 Declan Alder
2 Gerald McCartan
3 Dan Gordon
4 Brendan McArdle
5 Conor Garvey
6 Kevin McKernan
7 Declan Rooney
8 Peter Fitzpatrick
9 Kalum King
10 Daniel Hughes
11 Mark Poland
12 Conor Maginn
13 Paul McComiskey
14 Ronan Murtagh
15 Martin Clarke

donelli

Monaghan team:
1   Mark Keogh
2   Kieran Duffy
3   Vincent Corey
4   Colin Walshe
5   Néill Mac Adaim
6   Dessie Moen
7   David Hughes
8   Dick Clerkin
9   Eoin Lennon
10   Christopher McGuinness
11   Mark Downey
12   James Turley
13   Tomás Freeman
14   Paul Finaly
15   Conor McManus
16   Pádraig McBennett
17   Eoin Duffy
18   Donal Morgan
19   Damien Freeman
20   Brendan McKenna
21   Shane Smyth
22   Cormac Brady
23   Dermot Malone
24   Máirtín Mc Elroy
25   Conor Galligan
26   Bernard O'Brien

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Gael85 on March 19, 2011, 12:48:53 AM
Down team to play Monaghan 2011-03-18 21:14:00

1 Declan Alder
2 Gerald McCartan
3 Dan Gordon
4 Brendan McArdle
5 Conor Garvey
6 Kevin McKernan
7 Declan Rooney
8 Peter Fitzpatrick
9 Kalum King
10 Daniel Hughes
11 Mark Poland
12 Conor Maginn
13 Paul McComiskey
14 Ronan Murtagh
15 Martin Clarke

Brendan Coulter replaces Ronan Murtagh at full forward tonight. Murtagh and Laverty very harshly dropped, our half fowards remain and where poor at winning break ball last week which was a major problem for Down. I thought a change in this area would have been more beneficial as well as at midfield where we have been cleaned out in every game. But the management opt for changes on our inside line which went well against Armagh and Cork. Benny playing is a major boost and i can see the managements view in gettin out talisman on from the start though while McComiskey may offer more from the start as his impact coming on is not as good as it was at the beginning of his county career. Laverty and Murtagh nearly always make an impact coming on so maybe the management have this in mind. Glad to see Benny McArdle back tonight as well as Alder in nets. Massive game lies ahead, Monaghan full forward line will take some stopping.

Maguire01

Quote from: donelli on March 19, 2011, 10:39:28 AM
Monaghan team:
1   Mark Keogh
2   Kieran Duffy
3   Vincent Corey
4   Colin Walshe
5   Néill Mac Adaim
6   Dessie Moen
7   David Hughes
8   Dick Clerkin
9   Eoin Lennon
10   Christopher McGuinness
11   Mark Downey
12   James Turley
13   Tomás Freeman
14   Paul Finaly
15   Conor McManus
16   Pádraig McBennett
17   Eoin Duffy
18   Donal Morgan
19   Damien Freeman
20   Brendan McKenna
21   Shane Smyth
22   Cormac Brady
23   Dermot Malone
24   Máirtín Mc Elroy
25   Conor Galligan
26   Bernard O'Brien
Hughes is a massive loss, but we're lucky that Corey is back in time. Good to see Tommy Freeman start - as i've said before, 10 or 20 minutes near the end of the game is useless. I'd like to see Eoin Duffy get another run out as well.

What's the story with Kieran Hughes? When's he due back?

Dubh driocht

If MDG is right, and he usually is, this is the strongest team Down have fielded this year and signals the importance of the game- a win and in addition to division one football in 2012, there remains the possibility of a league final. I expect Colgan, Murtagh and Laverty to see some game-time -their FF line of Mc Manus ,Finaly and Freeman will be a big test for our FB line- the HBs must stop quality ball going in there or we're in trouble.
I think our midfield has had harsh criticism- think back to when we had Lynch and Kearney starting there a couple of years ago-and will have too much for Lennon and Clerkin.Vincent Corey is IMO a better player than Hughes and Monaghan have no fear of Newry so it's game-on.

GrandMasterFlash

Game on is right... The first game of the year where it feels like there's something to play for! Our boys won't line out like that. I can see a FF line of McGuinness, McManus and Freeman with Finlay out around the forty. Mark Downey has been very good on the forty and reminds me of Mark Poland i.e. not the biggest player but very clever at both holding up and delivering ball.. McGuinness was in top form for the U21s on Wed but this is a different ball game (no pun intended!) T Freeman's first start, he has been rusty to date but that's partly to do with the little amount of game time he has been afforded. Corey at FB is a no brianer for me, he's strong and disciplined but I disagree with the comment re Darren Hughes. He's every bit as good as Corey IMHO, if not better.. He's a big miss. Eoin Duffy on the bench again which is good, he deserves game time. Down's mid-field paring are massive though and I fear we may struglel in this department. All depends on their distribution though as winning the primary ball alone counts for nothing.. Really looking forward to this one I have to say. My adopted county versus my home county!!

whitegoodman

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 19, 2011, 11:42:56 AM
If MDG is right, and he usually is, this is the strongest team Down have fielded this year and signals the importance of the game- a win and in addition to division one football in 2012, there remains the possibility of a league final. I expect Colgan, Murtagh and Laverty to see some game-time -their FF line of Mc Manus ,Finaly and Freeman will be a big test for our FB line- the HBs must stop quality ball going in there or we're in trouble.
I think our midfield has had harsh criticism- think back to when we had Lynch and Kearney starting there a couple of years ago-and will have too much for Lennon and Clerkin.Vincent Corey is IMO a better player than Hughes and Monaghan have no fear of Newry so it's game-on.

Agree with u on midfield, i do indeed remember games with a midfield of lynch and kearney, we have moved on from there.  Cant agree with u on darren hughes, a class act.

Can not understand the dropping of both murtagh and Laverty.  As MDG said that was not the problem against Cork, it was at half forward were we couldnt win a ball.  Half foward line of Hughes, Poland and McGinn is just not going to work against big physical teams, 2 of them maximum with Danny being one certainty.  Coulter has to come in when fit and rightly so but why not put him at wing half were he was successful for alot of the run last year and provides strength, height and an extra option at kick outs as well.  I really fear a lack of possession yet again tonight against a physically strong Monaghan team.

Murdock is also unlucky but may be down to a lack of variety with his kickouts against cork.

5 Sams

Murtagh will just keep doing what he does well...scoring when we need him to score...starting OR off the bench...many's another huffy hoor would have quit the panel by now if they were treated like that...
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

Murtagh always gives 100 % no matter what role he has been asked to fulfil even at half back . He never huffs just gets on with it true professional attitude all the time whereas some boys just slip in and out of the set up year in year out with no big impact . Wish they all had the fight and heart of Rony i think he could win the dirty ball around the middle which we are not getting at the minute

Main Street

I have the game on radio but are there any streams of the Setanta coverage?

lfdown2

folks anyone about there with a live stream other than 5fm...it wont load for me!

eiled in the bushes

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 19, 2011, 07:46:36 PM
folks anyone about there with a live stream other than 5fm...it wont load for me!
nor me
get some metal in your life

Main Street

For radio -  go for the objective coverage  - Northern Sound.

http://www.northernsound.ie/