Div 1 - Mayo v Kerry, McHale Park, 20/02/2011 @ 2.30 pm

Started by AbbeySider, February 14, 2011, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

A big test ahead for a lot of Mayos new faces next weekend. As Southsider mentioned it will be interesting to see how Horan lines out against Kerry's danger men.

Will the Gooch be back after that minor surgery on his eye??

Kerry Mike

Gooch wont be back for a few weeks, gives a chance for some of the new blood to fit in but after losing to the Langers we need to get a win under our belt so I'd expect a strong Kerry line from those available.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

I can t see too many changes to Mayo from Down match. I think the backs will be the same. I think he will stick with Cafferkey at 6 with Higgins being the only real alternative. But I think he ll be reluctant to take Higgin's pace out of the fb line. Gardiner and Chris Barrett appear to be the ones pressing the selected 6 the last day at this stage. Howley if fit may come into the reckoning too. Midfield will be McGar (presuming injury last night was only minor) and Gibbons with Parsons held in reserve. The forwards will have to be different because of the unfortunate injury to Freeman. Although I was only happy with Freeman, Dillon and the Everpresent One v Down I think the others may start again. If Barry Moran was fit he might come in at 14. If not its hard to know. It s hard to see a shape on that forward line to be honest. He might use Andy at 11 and play Campbell at 10 and leave O Sé at 14.

Cosmo Kramer

Two or three changes at most I'd say. Everyone did enough the last day against Down to get another go in the first 15. Won't judge AOS on one game and would definitely give him another start.

I'd say Kilcoyne might come in to the forwards, maybe Gardiner into the backs - the rest as is.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 14, 2011, 10:05:05 PM
Two or three changes at most I'd say. Everyone did enough the last day against Down to get another go in the first 15. Won't judge AOS on one game and would definitely give him another start.

I'd say Kilcoyne might come in to the forwards, maybe Gardiner into the backs - the rest as is.

Kilcoyne for? Gardiner for? I wouldn t be in favour of bringing in Gardiner. He s gettin loads of football and he looks in probably the best shape ever and we know what he can do. I think Feeney and Cuniffe would benefit more from starting. Saying that he could rest McLoughlin and play Gardiner there but the balance wouldn t be as good. He might start Kilcoyne at 14. Form so far mixed. Goin alone a lot which will have annoyed Horan but as some other posters have pointed out, if he can do what he did in Summer 09, he is going to come into it.

PAULD123

From what I saw if Mayo can play with their tails up like they did against us I think you have a serious chance of beating Kerry. I was not impressed at all with the intensity of the cork/Kerry game. I think Mayo/Down had a far higher level the night before. I think Kerry could be the surprise big team to struggle this year. They didn't do great last year although Tyrone was the surprise strugglers. I think Kerry could be that team this year. They are in transition after winning 3 titles and will use the league to try to discover a championship side which means they will be vulnerable.

Kerry Mike

A big loss to Mayo for the year...

MAYO star Conor Mortimer is set to miss the 2011 season after undergoing major knee surgery in Dublin.

Renowned surgeon Ray Moran performed an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction procedure on the attacker.

Mortimer said: "The recovery period is anything from five to nine months. It's swollen up like a balloon at the moment and it will be a couple of months before that's fully gone down. I'll be looking to get back for the Mayo club championship — that's my priority at the moment.

"If Mayo get as far as the All-Ireland quarters there's a chance but I wouldn't be 100% positive about being ready. The main thing is the knee will be 100% for the first time in seven years."

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

southsider

Quote from: moysider on February 14, 2011, 11:56:50 PM

Kilcoyne for? Gardiner for? I wouldn t be in favour of bringing in Gardiner. He s gettin loads of football and he looks in probably the best shape ever and we know what he can do. I think Feeney and Cuniffe would benefit more from starting. Saying that he could rest McLoughlin and play Gardiner there but the balance wouldn t be as good. He might start Kilcoyne at 14. Form so far mixed. Goin alone a lot which will have annoyed Horan but as some other posters have pointed out, if he can do what he did in Summer 09, he is going to come into it.

i think the bench options may change - killeen will be there i think just purely to have an option if donaghy becomes too prominent in the air.

moysider

Varley out for a few weeks so that is at least 2 changes to the forwards from Down game.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

Gardiner for Cafferkey in effect, but not a direct switch. I'd like to see Richie Feeney in the full back line so I'd do a bit of a rejig. See how a full back line would do against Kerry without Higgins in it.

Kilcoyne for Varley at this stage but obviously we need to replace Freeman as well. I'd maybe give Campbell a chance.

At this stage I'd go

O'Malley

Feeney  Hallinan  Cunniffe

Gardiner Higgins McLoughlin

Gibbons  McGarrity

Campbell Dillon Moran

Kilcoyne O'Shea Ronaldson

Something like that anyway...did I hear that the actual team will be announced tonight?

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ross4life on February 15, 2011, 04:49:59 PM
Any reason why this game & some others are down for 2.45 throw ins?

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/211-01.html

I think that's just Errortel playing up again - GAA site gives it as 2.30.

Tubberman

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 15, 2011, 04:52:12 PM

Gardiner for Cafferkey in effect, but not a direct switch. I'd like to see Richie Feeney in the full back line so I'd do a bit of a rejig. See how a full back line would do against Kerry without Higgins in it.

Kilcoyne for Varley at this stage but obviously we need to replace Freeman as well. I'd maybe give Campbell a chance.

At this stage I'd go

O'Malley

Feeney  Hallinan  Cunniffe

Gardiner Higgins McLoughlin

Gibbons  McGarrity

Campbell Dillon Moran

Kilcoyne O'Shea Ronaldson

Something like that anyway...did I hear that the actual team will be announced tonight?

I think it was The Mayo News that said the team was expected to be named after training last night.
Haven't seen or heard anything on it since - nothing on www.mayogaa.com either.
Anyone hear any word?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

No official team announced yet. Probs tonight. Was strong rumours on Twitter that Andy Moran would be captain. Which would mean no Dillon I presume?

I'd like to see something like this

Hennelly

R Feeney C Hallinan K McLoughlin

T Cunniffe G Cafferkey K Higgins

R McGarrity  J Gibbons

A Campbell A Moran C Freeman

M Ronaldson  A Kilcoyne  C O'Connor

Feeney is a better corner-man than out the wing, same I think about McLoughlin. Higgins probably better there too but lets see how he gets on on the wing. Cunniffe is nothing but a wing-back. Although none of that half-back line can kick the ball too well but we'll see.

I'm picking the forward line presuming Dillon doesn't play. If he does, take out one of the wing men. I've left Aidan O'Shea out as well, let him find his form first. And I don't think anyone is being dropped yet because Horan is still trying things. I'd give Hennelly the nod in goal too. Better keeper than Kenny O'Malley imho.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

southsider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 16, 2011, 03:41:16 PM
No official team announced yet. Probs tonight. Was strong rumours on Twitter that Andy Moran would be captain. Which would mean no Dillon I presume?

I'd like to see something like this

Hennelly

R Feeney C Hallinan K McLoughlin

T Cunniffe G Cafferkey K Higgins

R McGarrity  J Gibbons

A Campbell A Moran C Freeman

M Ronaldson  A Kilcoyne  C O'Connor

Feeney is a better corner-man than out the wing, same I think about McLoughlin. Higgins probably better there too but lets see how he gets on on the wing. Cunniffe is nothing but a wing-back. Although none of that half-back line can kick the ball too well but we'll see.

I'm picking the forward line presuming Dillon doesn't play. If he does, take out one of the wing men. I've left Aidan O'Shea out as well, let him find his form first. And I don't think anyone is being dropped yet because Horan is still trying things. I'd give Hennelly the nod in goal too. Better keeper than Kenny O'Malley imho.

would feeney or killeen be a better full back option. hallinan been primarily a corner back for mayo this year albeit lining out at no. 3 v down. donaghy a  full forward though with physical and aerial attributes totally different to those encountered against down.