FBD Final - MAYO v New York - 09/10/2011

Started by AbbeySider, February 07, 2011, 11:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

A very quick turnaround for the FBD final this Friday, under lights again in McHale park.

I think we could see an almost completely different team play in this one, as again it may be used to have a look at players involved in the FBD games who were not involved against Down.

Looking forward to it though, the games under lights create a good atmosphere.

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 07, 2011, 11:51:37 AM
A very quick turnaround for the FBD final this Friday, under lights again in McHale park.

I think we could see an almost completely different team play in this one, as again it may be used to have a look at players involved in the FBD games who were not involved against Down.

Perfect timing - should be just arriving in C'bar around 7:30 on way down from Dublin  :)
I'd agree about the team - I'd say there will be a lot of changes from the Down match.
Neil Douglas, Dillon and Gardiner will be swapping back into their NUIG jerseys for the night.
Haven't been in McHale Park for a floodlit game yet, so looking forward to it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on February 07, 2011, 12:05:57 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on February 07, 2011, 11:51:37 AM

Perfect timing - should be just arriving in C'bar around 7:30 on way down from Dublin  :)
I'd agree about the team - I'd say there will be a lot of changes from the Down match.
Neil Douglas, Dillon and Gardiner will be swapping back into their NUIG jerseys for the night.
Haven't been in McHale Park for a floodlit game yet, so looking forward to it.

Your in for a bit of a treat, McHale Park looks well under lights.

I dont know for sure if there has been any definite cuts to the panel...

So you could see any number of the following lads line out on Friday, that have already been involved in FBD games.

Ciaran Naughton
Robert Hennelly
Alan Feeney
James Burke
Mike Nestor
Chris Barrett
James Moran
Aidan Campbell
Austin O'Malley
Aidan Kilcoyne
David Killeen
RuaidhrĂ­ O'Connor
Lee Keegan
Eoghan Reilly
Trevor Howley
Barry Moran
James Kilcullen
Ian Rowland
Cathal Freeman
Andrew Farrell
Brian Benson
James McAndrew

I suppose they would try and use a few more that were involved against down, but all in all I expect a lot of fresh faces again.

ross4life

How did ye get the final at home? & is there another trip to New york for the winners?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 07, 2011, 01:10:04 PM
How did ye get the final at home? & is there another trip to New york for the winners?

This year it is a trip to Ballyhaunis.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on February 07, 2011, 01:34:10 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 07, 2011, 01:10:04 PM

This year it is a trip to Ballyhaunis.

No wonder we threw in the towel at HT v ye so...
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

REDCOL

NUIG training tomorrow night under lights in Castlebar, Mr. Maughan not taking the game too serious :D

Cosmo Kramer

I'd like Horan to use this to try a few lads who he mightn't feel comfortable throwing straight into Division 1 action. Assuming no cuts have been made to the overall panel I would like to see a few of the following get a run.

Hennelly in goal, he's been playing colleges and O'Malley will hold his place for the league if Clarke's out, so this could be Rob's only chance to get a run out before the 21s start.

Alan Feeney and David Killeen in the full back line.

Chris Barrett at wing back. Howley either at corner back or wing back.

Kilcullen in midfield - a bit of graft to complement our high fielders.

Aiden Campbell at 10 and Cathal Freeman at 11, I think both have plenty to offer us this year.

I'd try Kilcoyne and AOS in the full forward line. Best thing they could do is throw O'Shea straight back in after Saturday night, a game like this might help him get his confidence back.

Throw in five or six of the old heads to help these lads along and I think it would be a useful extra game for us against a very decent NUIG team.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

REDCOL

U21 team are playing Cork on Saturday in Claremorris, he probably wont play any of them

AbbeySider

Quote from: REDCOL on February 07, 2011, 06:25:20 PM
U21 team are playing Cork on Saturday in Claremorris, he probably wont play any of them

Is that in a challenge ?

AbbeySider

Freemans break confirmed and news he will miss a few weeks.

(Mayo News)
Freeman suffers a bad break

Mike Finnerty

MAYO forward Alan Freeman looks set to miss at least the next two rounds of the Allianz National Football League after breaking a bone in his hand against Down last Saturday night.
The 21 years-old sustained the injury during the closing stages of last weekend's game and had an operation on Sunday morning to repair the damage.
The Aghamore attacker, who was making just his fifth senior start, also scored the second goal of his inter-county career with an excellent individual effort before half-time.
However, he is now expected to miss upcoming NFL games against Kerry on February 20 and Galway a week later, as well as next Friday evening's FBD Connacht League decider against NUI, Galway.
Mayo manager James Horan confirmed to The Mayo News last night (Monday) that Freeman would be out of action "for a number of weeks". Knockmore's Trevor Howley and Breaffy's Seamus O'Shea will also be unavailable for Friday night's floodlit final due to ankle injuries.
Horan also revealed that Tom Parsons and Peadar Gardiner had shown no ill-effects of their recent injuries after coming on during the second half against Down.
It also emerged that debutant Richie Feeney was withdrawn with 'tight legs' but he will be available for selection again later this week.
A number of players who were not included in Mayo's 26-man squad for the opening game of the NFL season will also be back in the frame for the FBD Final.
These include Chris Barrett, James Burke, David Killeen, James Kilcullen, Aidan Kilcoyne, James Moran and Austin O'Malley, all of whom will be hoping for some game time.
Meanwhile, NUI, Galway manager John Maughan will be able to call on Mayo senior panellists Alan Dillon, Peadar Gardiner and Neil Douglas, as well as Ronan Rochford, Donal Newcombe, Kieran Conroy, Ger McDonagh and Jason Doherty.

It also seems that Trevor Howley and Seamus O'Shea are definitely out for the FBD final, but Richie is fit.
No word on how Gibbons is after taking a couple of knocks against Down.

Rossfan

Quote from: REDCOL on February 07, 2011, 04:57:14 PM
NUIG training tomorrow night under lights in Castlebar, Mr. Maughan not taking the game too serious :D

Must be a big budget in NUIG  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2011, 06:06:28 PM

No. But then Maughan never charges when he manages good footballers.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 08, 2011, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2011, 06:06:28 PM

No. But then Maughan never charges when he manages good footballers.

Two firsts in the one sentence  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Mayo (v NUI Galway, McHale Park, Friday):
Robert Hennelly
Cathal Hallinan, David Killeen, Chris Barrett
Lee Keegan, Keith Higgins, Ruadiri O'Connor
Barry Moran, Tom Parsons
Aidan Campbell, Andy Moran (Capt.), Andrew Farrell
Enda Varley, Aidan Kilcoyne, Mark Ronaldson.

Subs: Kenneth O'Malley, Alan Feeney, Ger Cafferkey, Eoghan Reilly, Richie Feeney, James Burke, Jason Gibbons, James Moran, Cathal Freeman, Cillian O'Connor.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."