Hurling in the US army

Started by Hardy, January 03, 2011, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Hardy on January 06, 2011, 09:21:36 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 05, 2011, 09:28:02 PMThey're talking like that because they're Americans and that's the way Americans talk.

Ehhhh ... that was my point.

Come over to Birmingham to watch & listen to a game.

Yeeuuwww mass be 'avin a lawff weffeewee

Oi, pack it in, mate
or
got a problem, yeah
after any hefty challenge.

will take me a while to get used to that
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

There will be a feature on this on the Catherine Thomas programme on RTÉ Radio One at 9:00.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on January 06, 2011, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 06, 2011, 01:55:47 PM
How do Americans manage with the skills required for hurling?  They don't seem to exist in any of the football counties in Ireland.   ;)

Very true, they only appear in counties with no real footballing ability.

Cork have 7 fuball all -irelands
Tipperary have 4
Wexford have 5
Offaly have 4
Galway have 9

How many do Mayo have? 

seafoid

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/jan/13/curveballs/?page=2

"My blood was boiling," he writes. "We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass."

"So he never allows himself to ask what he'd have done had he been gifted with foresight and understood from the start the real costs of his intervention in Iraq: a conflict lasting not months as he was originally assured but the better part of a decade, with more than 4,400 Americans killed in action and 30,000 wounded, many grievously; 100,000 or more Iraqi civilian casualties; several million refugees; and an overall cost to American taxpayers approaching $1 trillion."

So I wouldn't be worried about the opposing team saying they would kick some ass. It seems to mean something other than competence.

I was in Argentina about 10 years ago and visited the hurling club in Buenos Aires. There used to be a decent crowd of players there but it seems to have died off. How to keep hurling going long term in the States would be a concern.  Would the internet with the links to what people are doing in Ireland help ?

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on January 07, 2011, 08:52:55 AM
There will be a feature on this on the Catherine Thomas programme on RTÉ Radio One at 9:00.

I didn't think it was that big a story.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2011, 09:17:05 AM
I was in Argentina about 10 years ago and visited the hurling club in Buenos Aires. There used to be a decent crowd of players there but it seems to have died off. How to keep hurling going long term in the States would be a concern.  Would the internet with the links to what people are doing in Ireland help ?

There's still a club there and it's still called "The Hurling Club" but they don't play hurling anymore. I think it's hockey tennis and rugby now.  As far as I know, their issue was getting equipment. 

Keeping the games going in the USA is a bit easier.  There's actually a hurley maker in Chicago and his stuff is pretty decent nowadays.  Getting equipment shipped over from Ireland is probably the trickiest part, up to now it's been on an ad-hoc basis with friends coming out and throwing hurleys and helmets in with their luggage.  Needs a better system than that IMHO.

Coaching expertise is easy to come by in the traditional GAA cities like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Francisco where there's plenty of GAA clubs and infrastructure in place.  All of them cities have dedicated GAA fields (except for Philly, but they're starting to make a bit of progress on their field now too).  A lot of coaching resources have become easier to distribute now thanks to the internet.

Bogball XV

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2011, 09:17:05 AMI was in Argentina about 10 years ago and visited the hurling club in Buenos Aires. There used to be a decent crowd of players there but it seems to have died off. How to keep hurling going long term in the States would be a concern.  Would the internet with the links to what people are doing in Ireland help ?
Did hurling in buenos aires not fall away because they couldn't get hurls in during the war/wars?  The story went that switched to rugby instead?

Anyway, i think the likes of the milwaulkee club are a shining example to countiesa nd clubs everywhere and it's great to see.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2011, 09:09:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on January 06, 2011, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 06, 2011, 01:55:47 PM
How do Americans manage with the skills required for hurling?  They don't seem to exist in any of the football counties in Ireland.   ;)

Very true, they only appear in counties with no real footballing ability.

Hey, you are the one who said it. I never mentioned anything about Mayo.

Cork have 7 fuball all -irelands
Tipperary have 4
Wexford have 5
Offaly have 4
Galway have 9

How many do Mayo have?
MWWSI 2017

ck

With the right marketing backing Hurling could go global