iPod Classic - lock or load?

Started by deiseach, December 06, 2010, 02:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Apple are a devious bunch. I was thinking of getting an iPod for Mrs d and have been digitising all our CDs in preparation. It's taking an age so I'm not under any illusions that she doesn't know but we'll keep up the pretence. I was initially drawn to the iPod Classic for about €230. 160GB is overkill so I thought about getting a  model with a lower capacity but they're not available. So that made me look at the iPod Touch but Jesus, even the 32GB costs about €280. So are all the bells and whistles on the Touch worth the extra money?

Bogball XV

Quote from: deiseach on December 06, 2010, 02:39:51 PM
Apple are a devious bunch. I was thinking of getting an iPod for Mrs d and have been digitising all our CDs in preparation. It's taking an age so I'm not under any illusions that she doesn't know but we'll keep up the pretence. I was initially drawn to the iPod Classic for about €230. 160GB is overkill so I thought about getting a  model with a lower capacity but they're not available. So that made me look at the iPod Touch but Jesus, even the 32GB costs about €280. So are all the bells and whistles on the Touch worth the extra money?
be as handy getting an iphone as a touch?  I'd go with the classic (but i'd probably pick up a refurbished one online, if you go with that approach, buy one of the wee boxes that goes with it).
I find that women in general aren't particularly impressed by the add ons that the likes of a touch offers.

deiseach

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 06, 2010, 02:44:26 PM
be as handy getting an iphone as a touch?  I'd go with the classic (but i'd probably pick up a refurbished one online, if you go with that approach, buy one of the wee boxes that goes with it).
I find that women in general aren't particularly impressed by the add ons that the likes of a touch offers.

You make a very good point. She has a Blackberry which is right snazzy so an iPhone would probably be a waste. Given that, I'm minded to get the Classic and put the money saved towards a docking station of some description

Bogball XV

Quote from: deiseach on December 06, 2010, 03:08:07 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 06, 2010, 02:44:26 PM

You make a very good point. She has a Blackberry which is right snazzy so an iPhone would probably be a waste. Given that, I'm minded to get the Classic and put the money saved towards a docking station of some description
good call, the docking station is hard to beat.

bcarrier

I'd go with the touch  and get spotify premium. Digitising and tagging is one painful job.

deiseach

Quote from: bcarrier on December 06, 2010, 04:35:02 PM
I'd go with the touch  and get spotify premium. Digitising and tagging is one painful job.

Please elaborate

Main Street

If size doesn't matter that much to you as much as might to others :)  then go for the iTouch.
The quality of playback is good - good enough to drive a pair of high impedence Sennheiser 595s and sounds good when played through a sound system.
The usual  advice follows purchase of a player,  get a pair of decent headphones/ear pods.
bcarrier is referring to a music website that you subscribe to and download.
Tags are idtags - info about album- artist -track name & nr, that is tagged onto the music file and  displayed on your player. If you download music which is badly tagged, then it is smart to retag it yourself. Relatively easy task, even with iTunes, once you get the knack of how to do it most efficiently.
Tagging the track nr onto the music files of an album, also means it will be played in proper order on your mp3 player.

I have an iPod 120gb, because size matters to me.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

omagh_gael

Save yourself a few bob and buy one of these yokes:

David McKeown

Spent 5 or 6 hours last night trying get the exact songs I wanted on my iPhone because my library is too large to fit everything on. It's a real pain the arse so if you have or plan to have an in any way extensive or good quality music collection then I'd go for the classic
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ballinaman

Ya, i have the 160GB classic and it's the job. Can just lob everything forever more onto it. Battery is unreal too.

deiseach

Quote from: David McKeown on December 07, 2010, 08:05:11 AM
Spent 5 or 6 hours last night trying get the exact songs I wanted on my iPhone because my library is too large to fit everything on. It's a real pain the arse so if you have or plan to have an in any way extensive or good quality music collection then I'd go for the classic

Aye, I'm minded to get the Classic after reading this thread. Looking at the amount of CDs I'm moving through, I'd say her music collection is the guts of 30-40GB - add in mine and it's probably 31-41GB - so I'd really need to get a 64GB Touch which is an eye-watering €370. For that I'd get the Classic, a decent docking station and a lot of extra choons.

J OGorman

Quote from: deiseach on December 07, 2010, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 07, 2010, 08:05:11 AM

Aye, I'm minded to get the Classic after reading this thread. Looking at the amount of CDs I'm moving through, I'd say her music collection is the guts of 30-40GB - add in mine and it's probably 31-41GB - so I'd really need to get a 64GB Touch which is an eye-watering €370. For that I'd get the Classic, a decent docking station and a lot of extra choons.

the classic 160GB and docking station is what i run sir and for music playing, its the ticket. got one of the docking stations below (couple of years ago right enough, so they're are prob better / cheaper ones with built in DAB etc) but the sound quality is brilliant...really takes the edge off doing the ironing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-iGroove-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B000I1HUGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291726172&sr=8-1

Main Street

You don't have to put everything onto the hard drive of your portable player.
You can manually sync - i.e. select the playlists you want on or off the player and do it once a week.
Once you set that up for the first time, it is an easy enough action to delete and add playlists to the player.
In iTunes, setting up separate folders in your library for the different genres and using  'Smart Playlists',
makes transferring the tunes easier as well as navigating the tunes on your player a lot simpler.

But if music is the priority, then the 160gb is a no brainer.

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2010, 06:13:56 PM
But if music is the priority, then the 160gb is a no brainer.

Music is the priority. One minute she'll want to listen to the Levellers, the next to Bach.