CROKE PARK MASSACRE 90TH ANNIVERSARY

Started by funtime frankie, November 19, 2010, 04:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funtime frankie

Lads, in relation to Mike's posts, just forget him.

The empty and worthless rantings of somebody who is obviously not very clever should not be allowed to detract from this important matter.

The issue here is about how the GAA brushes the 90th anniversary of this event under the carpet without any recourse to its members and it is my belief that those murdered should be afforded some form of commemoration.

For the record, not a political event to be hijacked by any group or party but an event which recalls the sacrifice of those who were gunned down. Sin é.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: funtime frankie on November 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM
Lads, in relation to Mike's posts, just forget him.

The empty and worthless rantings of somebody who is obviously not very clever should not be allowed to detract from this important matter.

The issue here is about how the GAA brushes the 90th anniversary of this event under the carpet without any recourse to its members and it is my belief that those murdered should be afforded some form of commemoration.

For the record, not a political event to be hijacked by any group or party but an event which recalls the sacrifice of those who were gunned down. Sin é.

yeah, sure...until you and the rest of the f**kwits in their celtic jersies turn up spouting their bile.

I see through you funtime frankie and you don't like it one little bit.

tyssam5

Happy enough to wait until the 100th anniversary.

lawnseed

the fact that this important event slipped past the members of this board until somebody started a text is not very flattering to us either.. I believe this was overlooked in croker.. conveniently
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

I read somewhere that they remembered it Tipperary.

Did they do something for it ten years ago? Twenty years ago?

I know Croke Park did something on the 75 anniversary
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: funtime frankie on November 19, 2010, 04:33:17 PM
Just to remind everybody that this Sunday is the 90th anniversary of Bloody Sunday when British terrorists smashed their way into Croke Park and murdered spectators and Michael Hogan.

It would be appropriate to recall their memory with a minute's silence on Sunday at any GAA events and their murders are made all the more poignant when one considers the way in which their sacrifice has been insulted and demeaned by thedisgusting behaviour of those who hold the levers of power. The little freedom we have attained has been frittered away.

Before the west brit brigade start jumping up and down about ranking up the past and victimhood and let sleeping dogs lie and whatever revionist tripe they spout, it is a worthy and a decent thing to recall the memory of these innocent victims of terrorists.

They went to Croke Park to simply watch a match and cheer on their team and they were cut down by British gunmen who didn't, don't and never ever will have a right to be in this country.

Let's hope that their sacrifice wasn't in vain but I fear that it was.

Lobby your local politician, pressurize your club delegate, prepare a proposal to Council, do anything, if you feel so strongly about, except be an internet warrior with the ballot box of a mouse in one hand and the bullet of your sperm gun in the other hand!

ross matt

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 23, 2010, 02:16:16 PM
Quote from: funtime frankie on November 19, 2010, 04:33:17 PM
Just to remind everybody that this Sunday is the 90th anniversary of Bloody Sunday when British terrorists smashed their way into Croke Park and murdered spectators and Michael Hogan.

It would be appropriate to recall their memory with a minute's silence on Sunday at any GAA events and their murders are made all the more poignant when one considers the way in which their sacrifice has been insulted and demeaned by thedisgusting behaviour of those who hold the levers of power. The little freedom we have attained has been frittered away.

Before the west brit brigade start jumping up and down about ranking up the past and victimhood and let sleeping dogs lie and whatever revionist tripe they spout, it is a worthy and a decent thing to recall the memory of these innocent victims of terrorists.

They went to Croke Park to simply watch a match and cheer on their team and they were cut down by British gunmen who didn't, don't and never ever will have a right to be in this country.

Let's hope that their sacrifice wasn't in vain but I fear that it was.

Lobby your local politician, pressurize your club delegate, prepare a proposal to Council, do anything, if you feel so strongly about, except be an internet warrior with the ballot box of a mouse in one hand and the bullet of your sperm gun in the other hand!
Excellent post Brokencrossbar.

Onlooker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 23, 2010, 11:52:33 AM
I read somewhere that they remembered it Tipperary.

Did they do something for it ten years ago? Twenty years ago?

I know Croke Park did something on the 75 anniversary
There was a commemoration in Grangemockler last Sunday and a wreath was laid on Michael Hogan's grave in the local cemetary.  There was a minute's silence for the victims of Bloody Sunday before the Football Qualifier between Dublin & Tipperary during the summer.  At the time I commented on another forum on the exemplary manner in which the silence was observed that day.  The anniversary is never overlooked or forgotten in Tipperary.