Gerry's moving south...

Started by Maguire01, November 14, 2010, 12:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana Man

I've read it yes and reread it, don't see a problem  ??? what part are you referring to chief?

i mean we are meant to be in a democracy but the newspapers are playing dirty tricks by dragging up shite and are saying 'look unless you disprove it it's fact', surely you understand what that means??? you would expect this practice in a dictatorship bt not a supposed democracy

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on December 21, 2010, 03:18:22 PM
I've read it yes and reread it, don't see a problem  ??? what part are you referring to chief?
It just didn't read very well to me. I had to have a few goes. But anyway...

i mean we are meant to be in a democracy but the newspapers are playing dirty tricks by dragging up shite and are saying 'look unless you disprove it it's fact', surely you understand what that means??? you would expect this practice in a dictatorship bt not a supposed democracy
Absolute rubbish, to be fair. My knowledge of the law would be realitively basic, but I know the onus would be on the papers to prove what they're saying is true and not the other way around. So if Gerry want's to take them to court, he won't have to 'disprove' anything. And we already know both arguments as to why he won't take them to court.

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 21, 2010, 03:26:06 PM

Absolute rubbish, to be fair. My knowledge of the law would be realitively basic, but I know the onus would be on the papers to prove what they're saying is true and not the other way around. So if Gerry want's to take them to court, he won't have to 'disprove' anything. And we already know both arguments as to why he won't take them to court.

You're obviously spoiling for a fight but I ain't going to please ya, this being the season of goodwill and all. A few go's I think is what you meant but don't worry I won't make a meal of it unlike you  ;)

As for your second point, (apart from you having a basic level of understanding) the rest is absolute balls and you know it, all a paper has to say is ''a close source stated'' or the like and they have immunity. How many times have we heard ''you can't believe everything you read in the papers'' and if you think otherwise you are living in dreamworld.

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on December 21, 2010, 03:54:59 PM

You're obviously spoiling for a fight but I ain't going to please ya, this being the season of goodwill and all. A few go's I think is what you meant but don't worry I won't make a meal of it unlike you  ;)
But you have.
Anyway, i'm open to correction (as long as the correction is correct).

But why would you have an apostrophe when referring to the plural of 'go' (meaning attempt) (rather than ownership or shortening a word)? I'm pretty sure 'goes' is the plural of 'go'.

Any English teachers on here able to clarify?

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on December 21, 2010, 03:54:59 PM

As for your second point, (apart from you having a basic level of understanding) the rest is absolute balls and you know it, all a paper has to say is ''a close source stated'' or the like and they have immunity. How many times have we heard ''you can't believe everything you read in the papers'' and if you think otherwise you are living in dreamworld.
Use Google. Enter the words 'Newspaper' and 'Libel'.

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2010, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on December 21, 2010, 09:16:08 AMdid i read yesterday that ben dunne is going to donate to the shinners?
If so, then it wouldn't be his first "donation" to their coffers:

"Ben Dunne, then boss of Dunnes Stores, was dragged from his car in October 1981 by armed men when he stopped at the scene of a fake accident on the main Dublin-Belfast road to Newry. The 31-year-old supermarket tycoon was held by the South Armagh IRA for six days. A ransom of 380,000 was reportedly handed over."
http://www.thepost.ie/archives/2002/0922/irelands-richest-businessmen-victims-of-1980s-kidnap-epidemic-604929528.html

(Or have I got the wrong Ben Dunne?)

I didnt realise they were printing Euros 21 years before it became legal tender  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

New Newstalk constituency by constituency poll predicts Martin Ferris to lose his seat and Sinn Féin to gain just 2 seats. F.F. will lose 50% of their seats, Labour will double their seats. Greens to be left with 2 seats and Fine Gael to become by far the largest party in the state. Lots of Fianna Fail names including Mammy Lenihan will lose their seats.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zapatista on December 22, 2010, 03:36:54 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 22, 2010, 03:22:49 PM
New Newstalk constituency by constituency poll predicts Martin Ferris to lose his seat and Sinn Féin to gain just 2 seats. F.F. will lose 50% of their seats, Labour will double their seats. Greens to be left with 2 seats and Fine Gael to become by far the largest party in the state. Lots of Fianna Fail names including Mammy Lenihan will lose their seats.

It was a nonsense poll of radio hacks who probably all work for the same guy as Newstalk's Ivan and George.

Think the Ferris seat loss is based on the changing of the North Kerry constituency. I think its getting merged with part of Limerick, which dose not suit him apparantly. Ivan has become very neutral while George is honest in that he shouts his colours from the rooftops unlike the FF guttesnipes Messers D'Arcy, Tubridy & O'Connor, they deny what most people know as fact.

Canalman

Would be very surprised if Ferris loses his seat. The part of Limerick being "transferred" to North Kerry is very republican going back generations and would imo be easily persuaded to swap FF for SF this time.

As I have said before SF's share of the vote will not transfer well into seats. Very hard to turn good showings in 3/4 seater constituencies into actual seats.

lawnseed

AGAIN!
Quote from: Canalman on December 22, 2010, 04:05:00 PM
Would be very surprised if Ferris loses his seat. The part of Limerick being "transferred" to North Kerry is very republican going back generations and would imo be easily persuaded to swap FF for SF this time.

As I have said before SF's share of the vote will not transfer well into seats. Very hard to turn good showings in 3/4 seater constituencies into actual seats.
AGAIN!! WTF is this generations stuff? voters in the south need to think about the next five years not what happened over the last hundred years! they need to sit down and go through each party's  policies and make up their mind. wtf good is Michael collins now or devalare or any of these guys they're all dead.
   E.G. peter robinson is a unionist icon hes one of the greatest unionists since particion there are people in east Belfast who have never voted for any one else in their lives and worship the ground he walks on. not voting for peter robinson is a sin! BUT dear peter got himself into a little bother over his expenses and doing a little land deal all very peewee stuff in the grand scheme of things. HE LOST HIS SEAT! it doesn't matter what he stood for.
   which brings me back. who are the 17% and the 2% who still want to vote for ff and the greens? is it because thats what their granny did? people need a dose of reality and thats where the IMF and the ECB come in. this financial crisis is going do some good imo because its going to teach irish people to actually think about their future and finally to realise that looking in history books is not the way to run a country.

ps canalman i'm not picking on you but the generations thing is a thread that runs right through irish politics south of the border and it drives me nuts
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 22, 2010, 04:48:36 PM
AGAIN!
Quote from: Canalman on December 22, 2010, 04:05:00 PM

AGAIN!! WTF is this generations stuff? voters in the south need to think about the next five years not what happened over the last hundred years! they need to sit down and go through each party's  policies and make up their mind. wtf good is Michael collins now or devalare or any of these guys they're all dead.
   E.G. peter robinson is a unionist icon hes one of the greatest unionists since particion there are people in east Belfast who have never voted for any one else in their lives and worship the ground he walks on. not voting for peter robinson is a sin! BUT dear peter got himself into a little bother over his expenses and doing a little land deal all very peewee stuff in the grand scheme of things. HE LOST HIS SEAT! it doesn't matter what he stood for.
   which brings me back. who are the 17% and the 2% who still want to vote for ff and the greens? is it because thats what their granny did? people need a dose of reality and thats where the IMF and the ECB come in. this financial crisis is going do some good imo because its going to teach irish people to actually think about their future and finally to realise that looking in history books is not the way to run a country.

ps canalman i'm not picking on you but the generations thing is a thread that runs right through irish politics south of the border and it drives me nuts
So you're saying people should vote on the basis of policies, yet you cite Peter Robinson who lost his seat for business/personal reasons - nothing to do with policy. And in the meantime, the other side of the city kept the faith in SF (presumably as they have done for generations) even though Gerry was in hot water, similar to Peter. Were they wrong to do so?

lawnseed

your nit picking maguire. what i'm saying is that people here in the north are not lookiing to to past when they are X ing their boxes and following that you have the continual rise in the strenght of sinn fein. voters here will drop whom ever they perceive as not doing their job. 'hot water' i presume yet AGAIN you refer to gerry's personal family business as a measure of his ability to perform his duties as a public representative but you choose to ignore the fact that he was emfactically re-elected. why are you concerned when his constituents are not? and while your at how many 'generations' have voted for sinn fein

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on December 22, 2010, 08:43:28 PM
your nit picking maguire. what i'm saying is that people here in the north are not lookiing to to past when they are X ing their boxes and following that you have the continual rise in the strenght of sinn fein. voters here will drop whom ever they perceive as not doing their job. 'hot water' i presume yet AGAIN you refer to gerry's personal family business as a measure of his ability to perform his duties as a public representative but you choose to ignore the fact that he was emfactically re-elected. why are you concerned when his constituents are not? and while your at how many 'generations' have voted for sinn fein

I'm sorry Lawseed but is that the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. People in the 6 counties vote for a set of parties based on what their religion is, what their parents religion was, what their grandparents religion was, etc. etc. etc.

I have yet to see that happen in the 26 counties.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 22, 2010, 09:14:24 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on December 22, 2010, 08:43:28 PM

[I'm sorry Lawseed but is that the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. People in the 6 counties vote for a set of parties based on what their religion is, what their parents religion was, what their grandparents religion was, etc. etc. etc.]

[I have yet to see that happen in the 26 counties.]

how can people in the north be voting for sinn fein because of their parents. just how many parents do folk have in mayo sinn feins vote is increasing expedentially because of the leadership they have shown. the dup are only 30years old and are attracting more votes also both at the expence of parties on the same side of the sectarian devide

you have already said you are a fg man because of your family tradition actually because of what eamon dev did in the early years of his dictatorship

ardal

Not sure I've ever met a northener who has swapped their political allegiance (nationalist vs unionist). With the demise of Hume from the party, The SDLP realistically followed suit, so northern nationalities may have voted for the alternative nationalist party who were led by an experienced face.

I've always voted for the same party, with the exception of once when it was a tactical vote to get a more evil one of theirs out.

How many times have you crossed party / political  lines L/seed?