No
73 (83%)

Total Members Voted: 80

deiseach

Plenty of people do it, judging by the decibel level

No one admits to doing it

Now's your chance to 'fess up

charlie linkbox

Could you change the reason for not doing it on the poll? I always wait to the end but it has nothing to do with 800 years of tyranny - it's just out of respect. I can wait a few seconds longer before I start roaring my head off for 70 minutes.

deiseach

Quote from: charlie linkbox on February 21, 2007, 03:42:56 PM
Could you change the reason for not doing it on the poll? I always wait to the end but it has nothing to do with 800 years of tyranny - it's just out of respect. I can wait a few seconds longer before I start roaring my head off for 70 minutes.

Fair enough, I was being facetious, but for the sake of clarity . . .

lynchbhoy

I sing the anthem. it would be a bit on the mental side to sing it all then on the last line let a big 'yeeeeeaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhh'
outta me

I have just more respect for the National Anthem than that!

charlie linkbox

I would imagine most of the folk on this board are real GAA fans. Therefore I'd wager that there'll be an overwhelming vote for "no" as all the premature roaring and shouting is usually done by the bandwagon, beer swilling, straw hat brigade that every county has; people who have never heard of nor visited this site.

Spiritof98

I always used to do it, it was something I grew up doing, I have wained from doing it this past few years but back in the day when Armagh played 1 or 2 championship a year ye were reved up like nothing ordinary and went buck mad near the end of the anthem.

Also were has the tradition of flag waving gone. I know its a nuisance for viewing games but always loved the look of it on TV.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Romeo

I think it's very disrespectful to cheer before the end, always annoys me. I usually attend the home soccer games as well and it's always sang until the end at those. I always find it a bit embarrasing that respect is shown for it at soccer matches but not at GAA matches!

J70

I do it. Its all part of the anticipation and the excitement of the occasion for me, and it seems to be tradition. Personally I get a real buzz when the roar goes up, with only seconds till throw in. I don't see anything wrong with it.

cicfada

Let those who disrespect  "Amhran na bhFiann" shut the f*ck up about "God save the Queen", please, otherwise you would come across like hypocrites and we can't have that here now can we??

The Real Laoislad

I hate it when people sing before the end ,it's disrespectfull and anyone that does it is ignorant.The Anthem isn't played for our entertainment it's our identity as a nation.You don't hear Scottish fans doing it before the end of Flower of Scotland or Welsh fans before the end of Land of our Fathers,they sing their anthem with pride and passion till the end and not turn it into who can be heard the most before the end of it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

I always wait to the end of the Anthem, before I cheer. For the same reasons as Charlie Linkbox, respect for the Anthem. However, it doesn't annoy me if others cheer. Has Paddy Heaney says, it's the way things are.
Testing Accessibility

J70

Quote from: cicfada on February 21, 2007, 09:36:13 PM
Let those who disrespect  "Amhran na bhFiann" shut the f*ck up about "God save the Queen", please, otherwise you would come across like hypocrites and we can't have that here now can we??

Must have missed some thread here!

If you're talking about jeering "God Save the Queen", that's hardly the same thing as the traditional, albeit premature, cheer at the climax of Amhrain na bFhiann, now is it?

sureyouwill

I think that people cheer (and when I say people, I mean in the main younger elements in the crowd, and probably older with a few jars in them) simply because the actual last two lines of Amhrán na bhFiann from a melody perspective lends itself to it. 

Le guna screach fé lámhach na bpiléar (A big pause, tension mounting etc etc)
(Then with gusto)Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.

I personally have no problems with people cheering, I don't think those that do disrespect anyone or anything and to me the cheer always gives me a shiver as battle is about to commence.  As for The Real Laoislads comment "I hate it when people sing before the end ,it's disrespectfull and anyone that does it is ignorant", cop yourself on FFS.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: sureyouwill on February 22, 2007, 07:58:25 AM
I think that people cheer (and when I say people, I mean in the main younger elements in the crowd, and probably older with a few jars in them) simply because the actual last two lines of Amhrán na bhFiann from a melody perspective lends itself to it. 

Le guna screach fé lámhach na bpiléar (A big pause, tension mounting etc etc)
(Then with gusto)Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.

I personally have no problems with people cheering, I don't think those that do disrespect anyone or anything and to me the cheer always gives me a shiver as battle is about to commence.  As for The Real Laoislads comment "I hate it when people sing before the end ,it's disrespectfull and anyone that does it is ignorant", cop yourself on FFS.

Typical from sureyouwill and very predictable but you come to expect it from him.

Anyways on your point that the Anthem lends itself to the atmosphere and builds up the crowd and tension near the end,you have a fair point here,don't agree however it's just the younger crowd who shout and sing before the end as many grown men who should know better also provide us with premature shouting.If these people want to sing and shout so much they should go out and learn the Anthem and sing it with pride like the Scots and Welsh and god forbid even the Americans and the English for that matter
As i've said in a previous thread i think the Ulster County fans are by far the best at respecting the Anthem
You'll Never Walk Alone.

rosnarun

Ive alway done it and always will. It part of years of Great GAA tradition to do  it . It what really  sets the atmos fopr the match and reminds me of why its good to be living and breathing GAA supporter .
Its great to live in a free republic that you can do things like that and not be in mortal fear of your beloved Ruler / Monarch
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere