Anthony Rainbow's Farewell Game - Nov 20th

Started by Dinny Breen, October 13, 2010, 03:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Anthony's last match is taking place on the 20th of November @ 2.00pm in St Conleths Park against a rest of Ireland Team with proceeds going to the Players fund, St John of God, Celbridge & St Brigids Hospice, The Curragh.

Players taking part so far...

Peter Canavan, Oisin McConville, Daragh O'Shea, Graham Geraghty, Glen Ryan, Niall Buckley, Karl O'Dwyer, Marc O'Shea & Stevie McDonnell

Should be a good day out...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Should get a good turnout. Is Nuxer still based in Chicago or is he coming home especially for this?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Ireland team named for Rainbow farewell

The Rest of Ireland XV to take on a Kildare XV in Anthony Rainbow's Farewell Game has been named and with 14 of the 15 starters holding All Stars, it promises to be a very exciting game against Kieran McGeeney's Lilywhites. Indeed there are a total of 34 All Star awards among the starting 15, with several more in the subs. The Rest of Ireland bench is very strong with players of the calibre of Ciarán Whelan, Dessie Farrell, Chris Lawn, Colm Quinn, Brendan Devenney, Enda Murphy, Senan Connell and Kenneth Sweeney all ready to play their part. Some former Lilywhite greats such as Ronan Quinn, Alan Barry, Eddie McCormack and Killian Brennan will also make an appearance with the Rest of Ireland team during the course of the game. Some players, such as Oisín McConville, Padraig Joyce and Trevor Giles, were unavailable to play due to their involvement with their club teams in the provincial championship, but have given their full backing to Anthony's big day. The team will be managed by legendary GAA manager Mick O'Dwyer, while his selectors will be Willie McCreery and Mick "Gippo" Hyland. Current Kildare manager, Kieran McGeeney, will captain the Rest of Ireland team, while Anthony Rainbow will lead out the Lilywhites.

1. Christy Byrne
2. Marc Ó Sé
3. Seámus Moynihan
4. Aidan O'Rourke
5. Graham Geraghty
6. Glenn Ryan
7. Kieran McGeeney (Captain)
8. Darragh Ó Sé
9. Paul McGrane
10. Brian Dooher
11. Éamonn O'Hara
12. Michael Donnellan
13. Steven McDonnell
14. Ja Fallon
15. Peter Canavan

RedandGreenSniper

That would have been some midfield in their prime. Be a decent midfield even now! I wonder is Geezer happy with being shunted to the wing by a local man who most would consider a better centre-half back than the Armagh man?

Christ it is some forward line too. A fitting tribute to a fantastic player. I'd go if I was anywhere near that neck of the woods.
Who will be the longest serving player starting next year? Eamonn O'Hara if he is still playing?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

O Hara made his league debut in 1993 and championship debut in 94. God bless him sad day for Sligo when he hangs them up.

Great tribute to a loyal and committed playerl, always liked kildare and rainbow eptimosises everything that is great about GAA. I wish him all the best in future endeavours.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

Good lineup, by chance heading to Kildare this weekend, might drop the woman off in Kildare Village and head up to the game
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Donnellys Hollow

The Kildare team to face a Rest of Ireland XV in Anthony Rainbow's Farewell game in St. Conleth's Park, Newbridge this Saturday, November 20th has been named. The team shows a number of changes from the side that lost narrowly to Down in the All Ireland semi-final, though most of these are enforced due to injury and suspension. All Star Peter Kelly misses out, as do Daryl Flynn, Morgan O'Flaherty and Alan Smith. James Kavanagh is also unavailable due to his involvement with his club Ballymore the following day. Anthony Rainbow will captain the team from centre forward, while his Suncroft clubmate Fionn Dowling makes his first start at senior level for the Lilies. Anthony will be in direct opposition to his former Kildare half-back partner, Glenn Ryan. All Star John Doyle will wear number 13, while GPA award winner Emmet Bolton lines out at centre back in what should prove to be a highly entertaining game. Tickets will remain on sale from all players and the Co. Board office up to the start of the game.

Kildare U16s will take on their Laois counterparts in a curtain raiser to Anthony Rainbow's Farewell Game. The U16 game will commence at 12.30pm, while the main event starts at 2pm.

1. Shane McCormack
2. Hugh McGrillen
3. Damien Hendy
4. Aindriú MacLochlainn
5. Brian Flanagan
6. Emmet Bolton
7. Michael Foley
8. Robert Kelly
9. Hugh Lynch
10. Eoghan O'Flaherty
11. Anthony Rainbow (Captain)
12. Éamonn Callaghan
13. John Doyle
14. Pádraig O'Neill
15. Fionn Dowling

lawnseed

mouth watering line up should have been televised, is rainbow a common name in kildare? i used to think it was a stage name
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Donnellys Hollow

Rest of Ireland 4-14 Kildare 3-15

Great days entertainment and a fine send-off for Anthony.

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 13, 2010, 06:32:55 PM
Should get a good turnout. Is Nuxer still based in Chicago or is he coming home especially for this?

He is indeed still based over there

Rossfan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 21, 2010, 11:31:01 AM

Rainbow sent off in his special game  :o

;D ;D ;D
Best of luck to him following such a long playing career . He is great example to others.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donnellys Hollow

They might want to rethink the new jerseys!  ;)

SLIGONIAN

Looks like a big crowd in the photo, how did O Hara play?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 21, 2010, 11:31:01 AM

Great days entertainment indeed. Couple of thoughts: McGeeney has lost a lot of the bulk that marked him out as a player, still able to get around the pitch though. Michael Donnellan is still a class player, retired far too early, looks like he could still do a job for Galway. Darragh Ó Sé has filled out a bit but was still the stand out midfielder on view, very unlucky with a lob attempt for a goal. Rainbow took an age to get off, the cold was setting in at that stage. First time in Conleths, could do with renovating the stand, nice central ground otherwise.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mick999

Great article by Darragh O Se in the Times today :

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1124/1224284026468.html

Enjoyed this bit :

"Peter Canavan! Seeing him again! Class is permanent. Watching him in Newbridge I was gaping. Selling the dummies, the timing, the bravery. He told me before the game that if he pointed left it meant he was going right and vice versa. The heart sank. How could us poor Kerry fellas ever have beaten him if he was playing by mirror all those years. Who knew?

Best moment? Peter the Great gave me a pass. I gave it back. The beauty of it was that there was three fellas closing in on him when he got it back. I hold it against the Kildare players involved that he wasn't killed outright.

All I can say to Kerry people is that I did my best."

Sounded like a good day's crack ...