Tom Humphries: GAA knobs put more then a fence between us

Started by Peter Solan the Great, September 20, 2010, 10:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

Quote from: heffo on September 20, 2010, 03:34:32 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2010, 03:30:18 PM
They must have banned hundreds of kids so because any time I'm there the pitch is rampaged with them.

I can't see them following through with it, but it's clear that they want to move away from kids on the pitch

last year i took my 6 year old to Parnell park to watch Derry v Dublin in the national league and when he seen all the kids going on at half time he wanted to go on and kick his ball and i let him tear away and he still talks about it yet,i was just amazed as soon as the halftime whistle blew 100's of kids appeared from nowhere,a unbelievable sight and would be a shame if this was stopped.

thewobbler

It's an unfortunate and bitter trait of so many Irish people that they associate change with the eventual destruction of society as we know it.

If you really believe that being able to run onto a pitch at the end of a game defines the GAA, I really do hope you never assume a position of importance in the Association.

Not every change means progress, but we always need to progress, which necessitates change.

fitzroyalty

It's a small thing and one of many which defines us. Slowly turning into the prawn sandwich brigade.

Berlin

Quote from: sheamy on September 20, 2010, 12:47:10 PM
We now live in a land of pr and marketing people who need to make constant changes to justify their existence.

That line above is one of the greatest truths that any of us are ever likely to read on an internet forum.  We as Irish people have seen the last of any decency that we once knew and expected from those in authority. The age of the the tv kid is upon us. Our society is well and truly fucked and I am very despondent for the future

That is an excellent post sheamy well said.

Bogball XV

Quote from: thewobbler on September 20, 2010, 05:01:30 PM
It's an unfortunate and bitter trait of so many Irish people that they associate change with the eventual destruction of society as we know it.

If you really believe that being able to run onto a pitch at the end of a game defines the GAA, I really do hope you never assume a position of importance in the Association.

Not every change means progress, but we always need to progress, which necessitates change.
i've never run onto a ptich in my life (i did wander down in 1993) but it was a respectful 5 mins at least after the whistle.  What gets me and i think everybody here, is not the banning of pitch invasions, it's the way that the gaa have turned into a corporation, revenue and profit maximisation being their goals, sanitised co-ordinated celebrations that might serve to bring more into the fold (or what is their reason?), the amount of things that are railroaded through congress leaving ordinary members feeling helpless.  Next thing Christy will be coming out with our mission statement or some other such shite.

Berlin

I'm listening to newstalk at the mo and it appears that these monkey boys have received the brown envelope from their GAA masters.  Un-f**king-real !

Rossfan

The Hill16 perspex has led to reduced  capacity of the Hill by about 700 ( x€40 = €28,000 lost Revenue).
All this because some enraged ( and would you blame them) buckos from Louth ran on to the pitch from the seats.  ::)
You just couldnt make it up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Berlin on September 20, 2010, 07:47:05 PM
I'm listening to newstalk at the mo and it appears that these monkey boys have received the brown envelope from their GAA masters.  Un-f**king-real !

Myself and Michael Shields sorted them out!
It would have been nice if a few other people sent in texts to them though.
It's not too late!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Rossfan on September 20, 2010, 08:17:50 PM
The Hill16 perspex has led to reduced  capacity of the Hill by about 700 ( x€40 = €28,000 lost Revenue).
All this because some enraged ( and would you blame them) buckos from Louth ran on to the pitch from the seats.  ::)
You just couldnt make it up.

Cooney and co. just did exactly that !

Berlin

Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2010, 08:20:20 PM

It's not too late!

I sent one in over an hour ago. The newstalk number is 53106

Peter Solan the Great

It's not too late!

What did yourself and Shields say? and what is the attitude of the newstalk lads themselves? I am only after tuning in.

bennydorano

We did a sponsored cycle from Armagh to Croke Park only 2 weeks ago and got a 'tour' around Croke Park (the day before the Camogie AIF) - walked along the front of the hill & into a changing room.  To use that as stick to beat the GAA with is bit misleading, I'm sure the day before the biggest day of the year is bedlem. 

There's a definite move to the GAA treating us as paying punters rather than GAA fans, as long as it continues in that vien the more detached the organisation will become and GAA pepole will start acting like paying punters & volunteerism will recede.

Jinxy

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 20, 2010, 08:45:05 PM

It's not too late!

What did yourself and Shields say? and what is the attitude of the newstalk lads themselves? I am only after tuning in.

Me and Shieldsy (best buds) were all for letting the fans on the pitch.
The presenters weren't really.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AN other

orangeman

Massive crowd on the pitch tonight in Pairc Esler.

Good job Cooney doesn't know.  ;)