anyone else shouting at the tv at rte's coverage of the hurling?

Started by swagger, September 06, 2010, 02:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swagger

on the subject of pitch invasions, our gallant and decisive leader mr cooney has been harping on all week on how the celebration will be fantastic with a lap of honour to the winning team, giving them a chance to really connect with their supporters. Now I, as like many others watching on tv, wanted to watch tipperary do their lap of honour and share the moment with their supporters, to see if mr cooney was right in what he was saying. Instead, rte insisted on showing ger loughanne and co talk about the obvious, commenting on what we already knew for 10 mins, ignoring the events that were occuring behind them on the pitch!. I hope they change their broadcasting strategy for the football final on the 19th!
riiiiiiiiiite

Minder

It's is not about the action with RTE though, it all revolves around the "personalities". A complete misnomer in some cases. Prime example being the Sunday Game each week, three minutes of action and 10 minutes of McStay and the rest talking about "transitional phases", "three points equals a goal" and "serious bits of kit", all with a kind of satisfaction reserved for someone that has just discovered a cure for pancreatic cancer.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nrico2006

On top of that when the hell are we ever going to move from having the minor finals commentated in Irish, annoying as hell.  There is a removal of more meaningful traditions within the Association (banning All Ireland Minor winning Captains and the Archbishop from making speeches) yet they still persist with commentating on a match in a language that 90% of the viewers can't understand.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zapatista

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 06, 2010, 08:22:56 AM
On top of that when the hell are we ever going to move from having the minor finals commentated in Irish, annoying as hell.  There is a removal of more meaningful traditions within the Association (banning All Ireland Minor winning Captains and the Archbishop from making speeches) yet they still persist with commentating on a match in a language that 90% of the viewers can't understand.

I'd have thought that was an RTE thing rather than a GAA thing. I like it though. In fact they can do the senior game too for that matter.

Zapatista

Quote from: swagger on September 06, 2010, 02:20:18 AM
on the subject of pitch invasions, our gallant and decisive leader mr cooney has been harping on all week on how the celebration will be fantastic with a lap of honour to the winning team, giving them a chance to really connect with their supporters. Now I, as like many others watching on tv, wanted to watch tipperary do their lap of honour and share the moment with their supporters, to see if mr cooney was right in what he was saying. Instead, rte insisted on showing ger loughanne and co talk about the obvious, commenting on what we already knew for 10 mins, ignoring the events that were occuring behind them on the pitch!. I hope they change their broadcasting strategy for the football final on the 19th!

Some suggesting the choice of song by the Tipp fans might have been a factor http://www.politics.ie/culture-community/137410-tipp-v-kilkenny-11.html

The Galtee Mountain Boy

I joined the Flying Column in 1916
In Cork with Seán Moylan, Tipperary with Dan Breen
Arrested by Free Staters and sentenced for to die
Farewell to Tipperary said the Galtee Mountain Boy

AZOffaly

I doubt it, they had swapped away before it started. Maybe they didn't swap back to it because it's too rebellious for these days.

magpie seanie

I was raging when I heard it in the background and they didn't go back to it.

bloodybreakball

heard them first couple of lines and was suprised but didnt know the song

spuds

Most of the people that pay licence fees to RTE have gone through the education system here where Irish is taught for the guts of 14 years. The promotion of the Irish language is one of the stated functions of the GAA also. Maybe the fact that you don't understand Irish is more a reflection of your own lot....just a thougt like !
Perhaps you have a problem with us singing Amhrán na bhFiann as gaeilge also ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2010, 02:58:19 PM

Most of the people that pay licence fees to RTE have gone through the education system here where Irish is taught for the guts of 14 years. The promotion of the Irish language is one of the stated functions of the GAA also. Maybe the fact that you don't understand Irish is more a reflection of your own lot....just a thougt like !

why dot they offer both options on commenatry, like a red button option? press the red button for english comentary. the bbc could offer alternative comentaries during the world cup, so i dont see why they could do that twice a year for the 2 finals
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

spuds

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 06, 2010, 03:09:15 PM

why dot they offer both options on commenatry, like a red button option? press the red button for english comentary. the bbc could offer alternative comentaries during the world cup, so i dont see why they could do that twice a year for the 2 finals

GAA finals are part of the protected games shown to all on the national broadcaster, red buttons aren't available on RTE as far as I know.
They tried the dual language commentry a few years back and it was annoying to one and all.
John Hubbard

Zapatista

What do you mean?

spuds

Quote from: Zapatista on September 06, 2010, 03:13:53 PM

What do you mean?

As oppsed to "I cannot understand provide me with an English alternative" go out and learn some feckin Irish or put up with it.
John Hubbard

Hardy

It's just another piece of codology. This sort of shite allows GAA HQ to claim it's fulfilling its remit of promoting Irish by insisting on a clause in the RTÉ contract that the minor finals (and only the minor finals) be covered in Irish (and in Irish only).  Never mind that it's using the same compulsion that has almost killed the language. You'll learn Irish in school if we have to bate it into you and you'll watch the minor final in Irish whether you like it or not and whether you understand it or not. Do they not grasp the stupidity of making people resent the language as a pretence of promoting it and, in the same move losing 80%+ of the audience for underage football on the only occasion when it appears on TV? Of course they do, but they don't give a shite.

This is the same "policy" of language promotion that brings you a few phrases at the start of every GAA speech in pidgin Irish, the insistence on using the Irish language names of counties in passages of English and, of course, the tour de force that will have us all speaking the sweetest Irish within a generation - the insistence on the ludicrous "translation" of people's names into imaginary Irish versions. This is promoting Irish? Is it not just making a laughing stock of it?

Zapatista

Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2010, 03:19:46 PM

As oppsed to "I cannot understand provide me with an English alternative" go out and learn some feckin Irish or put up with it.

In what way does not speaking Irish reflect on his own lot?

I agree with Hardy on the Education of Irish in schools etc. and that the minor final is tokenism but I don't think the MF should be changed. If it was backed by more then it would be better but I don't think we should do away with it just because we're not doing enough.